Matthias Schultheiss' comic books (1 Viewer)

Ambreen

Sordide Sentimental
In light of R. Crumb's take on Buk's writing, does anyone think any of Buk's other stories lend themselves well to graphic novelization?

Oh yes, many of them could be turned into comic book stories, if not all of them. Schultheiss made two albums full some years ago.

attachment.php

Two french comic albums based on Bukowski's work, wow ! I didn't know them ! Thanks Bukfan, I'll try to grab them.

They're not exactly "french". The original is from - guess where - germany!
But I must admit: I don't like the drawings of Schultheiss very much. It just isn't my style in comic books.
Hm, but then - I didn't like 'Crazy Love' either, but everyone else seems to do.

Here's the cover of the other comic book (Danish version):
attachment.php

I have read the first one (Der lange Job/Folies Ordinaires) and like Roni, I haven't appreciated Shultheiss' style, finding it more or less flat, not really in phase with Bukowski's spirit. If I had read this thing without knowing Bukowski, it assuredly would not have made me feel like discovering him.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the best person to do comic adaptations of bukowski's stories (besides crumb) would be jacques tardi. i don't think the pulpy look suits his writing that well.

Yes, Tardi would be a good choice, besides Crumb. I've got a handful of his comics and I think his style would fit Bukowski's writing.
That said, I'm not dissatisfied with Schultheiss'adaptations although his style might be a tad too realistic. A more comical style would certainly suit some of Bukowski's stories.

Tardi is absolutely great.
He has illustrated "Journey to the End of the Night" by Céline, one of Bukowski's favorite writer.

I also liked Schultheiss' work.

Yes, the two Bukowski/Schultheiss graphic novels are from the late 80's. I don't think they were ever published in English, unfortunately. It should be possible to find copies in German or French, though.

A Couple of Winos is illustrated by Schultheiss but the story is not one that features in the other two volumes, at least that's my recollection.

Got it. Not that we really need comic-book-ized version of any more Bukowski stories anyway.

The Schultheiss drawings always left me cold. To me, the only artist who captured a flash of the Bukowski essence was Crumb.

Andrija Maurovic

Yugoslavian/Croatian comic artist could have done it right. 1977 saw when he gave an interview totally naked - he was somebody who Bukowski reminded me of, but much crazier.

2009_28_03_strip_recenzija_andrija_maurovic4.gif dc321bc7c7ef1f8faadc8b645c8bcce8_large.jpg

Yes, the two Bukowski/Schultheiss graphic novels are from the late 80's. I don't think they were ever published in English, unfortunately. It should be possible to find copies in German or French, though.
Hi there, I have a 1985 French paperback edition of Folies Ordinaires signed by Bukowski. I am French and found this book in the US where I lived for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back