10 years of Bukowski forum? How did that happen? (1 Viewer)

Wow, 10 years already? How time flies. Come March I´ve been a member for 10 years. For a forum to survive for 10 years is no small feat. Congratulations to all of us! :)

When I joined this place about eighteen months ago I had no idea how much of a Bukowski source it is. About the amount of work in the background that makes this site so enjoyable and outstanding I have no idea either. But it must be immense.
Thank you, mjp.

I found the Bukowski.net site a long time ago, but I never noticed the forum until last week. And it's a coincidence that I happened to find the forum at the same time I got On Writing from Amazon. Someone here has a signature that says if you don't know Buk's poetry, you don't know Buk. I'd say if you haven't read his letters, you don't know Buk. You'll also know more about all of those people who appear in the documentary Born in to This by reading On Writing.

Someone has to grab a hammer and some nails and pound together the stage, but the people who post here are what makes the stage interesting. So thanks, but no need to give kudos to the carpenter. Me and Jesus thank you. The check cleared.

Now that the stage is covered in old duct tape, spilled drinks, dried blood and stale puke stains, it's taken on an air of legitimacy. So it will be around for a while, as long as people want to climb up onto it and say something. Though anyone who gets onto any stage should understand that they are subject to the fickle and often waning interest of the patrons and public. But if you're good, you don't have to worry about any of that.

Wtf. Seems like yesterday. No, not really.

Still the best place in the web. And nice to see that some of the people in this first-post-thread are still around.

I remember researching this genius author I'd discovered who'd change my life and finding a site called smog.net with poems and paintings of the man. And some guy commenting: "My aunt went out with Bukowski a zillion years ago. I'm sure he got some pussy from her, something uncle George rarely got!"

10 years later, here we are.

Of course it's the people contributing who make this place what it is. But, still, kudos to the man who set up the stage. And still does.

Last edited:
I remember on smog.net mjp mentioned he was thinking of starting a Bukowski forum, and if anyone thought it was a good idea to drop him a line.

So I did: do it.

Therefore I'm pretty sure everyone here has
me to thank for this forum.

You're welcome.

don't be falsely modest.
It's not false. No one would come here to see what I'm saying, or what five or six of us were saying. It's a community, as the kids say. One person - or ten people - couldn't keep it going if no one else wanted to take part, right? Right!

Therefore I'm pretty sure everyone here has me me to thank for this forum.
It's true:

On 1/11/06, stephen hines <[email protected]> wrote:
Reply-To: [email protected]
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:36:50 -0800 (PST)

do it.

Funny I don't know what year I came here? My old moniker, bobbe ,had to change cause of some crazy stalker-I still love this place.
Great work!

some seem to be feeling, it was only like yesterday when the forum came along.
To me it's the opposite: it feels like this forum has been a part of my Buk-life forever. At least I barely remember a Buk-life before this forum. Thanks mjp and everyone of you great cats!

it feels like this forum has been a part of my Buk-life forever.
Same here.

It feels like a mole I've always had only lately the shape has changed a little and it looks kind of different and maybe a little weird and maybe it's bigger but it's hard to tell and I should probably have it checked out but I probably won't so ultimately it will kill me.

Like that. ;)

I was looking for the official site of the band Smog and then this happened.

People have gotten married here, started fights, presses, written books (and plugged them) and it always seems to keep going while throwing up new insights even after all these years.

If mjp ever needs a new admin, my vote goes for this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VjrlTMvirVo

Putin is already a moderator. If your God-given right to free speech has ever been victimized here, it was probably him.

It is a great slice of internet. History in the making. Once in a while I stumble through old threads, it's something else. My favorite part so far is finding out about the MJP podcast - but reading everybody banter and babble about the Beatles, books, baseballs and sundry is also pretty good :D

This site is an incredible achievement, from a technical and design/ergonomic perspective (i.e., easy to navigate, locate things, etc.), to being a beautiful statement of love to a great writer and his fans. The database alone always blows my mind--coupled with everything else, I mean, out of this world, baby. (Sorry for the hyperbole, but I really feel it.).

One of the many things I'll go to my grave regretting--I was 2-3 months away from being a "Founding member." Still stings...

14? Good lord.
A couple of months ago I think I was watching a video about how in the early days of the internet, most forums were very specific and had their own pages. I do remember when I was little finding many specific forums just like this one online. It certainly felt special to find a group of people that liked the same things you did, and constantly discussed about them. Now everything is centralized into places like Reddit, Facebook, etc. The joy of coming across a dedicated community is mostly gone.

Well I don't know if I'm explaining myself well here. I certainly don't know anything about making forums. My point is that this place is certainly smooth, packed with data, and just overall great. I'm just hoping I didn't get late to the party.

If it wasn't for this forum, so many of the important details would have been lost. I have been told by long-time booksellers, people intimately involved with Bukowski, and some writers from those times, that this site has so much "disinformation." We all have opinions in the forum, but the database is a source of truth like no other. If there are some minor mistakes, there's no wonder since there is no official guide. But the people who put all that work into the database, have created the only credible guide.

this site has so much "disinformation."
Right. And the impeachment trial is a "witch hunt." Got it.

(Rare) "booksellers" are idiots and thieves. All of them, across the board. Some more idiotic than others, but all idiots. Chewing the diseased mats out of each other's fur at the bottom of a dumpster. Picking each other's pockets and snickering like the little cartoon rats that they are. Beliving they are getting over on their fellow rats, not comprehending their reality - that they live at the bottom of a dumpster full of hot Chinatown garbage.

As for "people close to Bukowski," well, we know that none of them has ever had an agenda or held a grudge, have they. Of course not. I've never known a more pure and brave race of superbeings.

But for what it's worth, I've passed a lot of time with many "people close to Bukowski," and have never heard a negative word about this forum or the website.

- - -

There, that's the response that you thought you could provoke, right? Is that what you wanted? I've given it to you on a platter. Happy to oblige. Now run go tell your cartoon rat friends to come and read it. Tell them I said 'Hi,' and that they aren't fit to shine my shoes.

Not that any of them would know how to shine shoes. Shining shoes is actually a useful occupation.

- - -

Thank you, good night! I'm here all week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back