100 members (3 Viewers)

1,000? That would be something, wouldn't it. I know there are a thousand of us out there! Heh. Will they find us? We'll see.

There's a great deal of luck involved in building a decent forum, and I feel like we've been very lucky here early on. A lot of knowledgeable people and vocal participants - it's all good, as the kids say.

ahhahahahaha what are you guys talking about...I just come here because I've been banned from all the other forums I've been to. JK congrats on the 100 users. But I must say...as cool as it would be, I probably wouldn't want to see 1,000 people here. Do you honestly think it will grow that big? If so, awesome, if not, I'm happy the way things are now.

I have no idea if we'll get to a thousand users. But then I didn't expect it to grow as quickly as it has, so who knows. I figured I'd be here talking to two or three people for the first year or so. ;)

When the Bukowski files were over at smog.net a thousand different people would visit them every day (actually closer to 1200 unique visitors on average). Since the move it's more like 500 a day over here, but that should increase as time goes on and people stop linking to smog. Given that kind of traffic I don't think a thousand forum users is out of the question, but it would certainly take a while to get there.

I don't think you have to worry about too many voices in the mix. The more the better, as I see it. Plus the majority of people who register at a forum never post, so there you go.

You set up okay for funding on this puppy?

What I am offering is that if this Forum becomes a finacial pain in the balls, I'd be willing to paypal you some dough. Just say the word.

Thanks man, that's a generous offer.

But the only cost here is the forum software license, and that's less than $100 a year. The site runs on servers that I use for other stuff, so there are no hosting costs.

Thanks again for the offer.

cirerita said:
just over a month and you managed to pull 100 of us here. Will we be 1,000 in a year time?
When you first posted this I didn't think we would get a thousand users in a thousand years, but I might have to rethink that. ;)

We're adding a consistent average of 60 users per month for the first six months of this year, so if that holds - and there's no reason it shouldn't - by June 1, 2007 we should be at 1000.

Then we'll all meet up at the San Pedro Brewing Company and get really drunk together.

Things are looking up, and without any disregard to mjp's top notch work in organizing this fantastic site, and transporting it out of smog.net (and whiskeytown --- hehe I remember) to its own corner, the forum wouldn't be nearly as interesting if the people in it weren't so damn friendly, intelligent and educated on Bukowski and their own fields.

I guess what I want to say is despite my fledgling knowledge and collection about Bukowski (a dozen books, Sounes's bio, JD Born into This, and an assortement of mp3 CDs and mjp's collection of letters and manuscripts) I am proud to be numbered as a member in such great company.

Wish I could add more to the discussions, but work is murder.

Crazy, isn't it? Cupcakes and balloons for allllll my friends!

What's that? you would rather have drinks? You lot are hard to please. ;)

the question is: how many of these members contribute in some non-fucking-idiotic way? i mean, as i've browsed i've noticed 20-30 members tops who really contribute to the forum and keep continuous discussions going. ah hah well, no worries...i don't mean to be an ass and bring you down- just saying...but, nice. yeah, a thousand? are there that many people out there? hah.

the question is: how many of these members contribute in some non-fucking-idiotic way?
You mean with gems like this?

sitting in the school library, at the computer terminal, not really giving a shit and waiting to get inspired to do my sociology homework.

You haven't said anything non-idiotic enough to backup any insults, so check yourself, or your career here will be brief.

I fear the young one is referring to me, or the likes of me, who are here on occassion to ask neophyte questions.

The site is full of information, it is the best part of some of my (lesser) days, coming here and learning, and laughing.
I count on you,mjp, to keep the posers at bay!

You mean with gems like this?

sitting in the school library, at the computer terminal, not really giving a shit and waiting to get inspired to do my sociology homework.

You haven't said anything non-idiotic enough to backup any insults, so check yourself, or your career here will be brief.

fair enough.

Yes, I was thinking about it today.

Do you want to send the 1000th member some cheap Spanish wine?

That's because I weed out spammers and people who never verify their accounts. If I just left every signup in there we'd have a couple thousand, but I don't want the ranks to be full of junk users.

Cheap Spanish wine? What's that? ;)
There ARE cheap Spanish wines (you do know, of course!) - and not necessarily bad! Just last week I had one from Carinena. It was very all right. I liked it.
However, celebrating number 1000 I'd rather suggest either some 'Scotch and Water' or 'white German wine' or even 'Vodka seven'. Don't you think so?

However, celebrating number 1000 I'd rather suggest either some 'Scotch and Water' or 'white German wine' or even 'Vodka seven'. Don't you think so?
good idea. I'll start now. some of each, please.

oh, one other thing occures:
is your daughter, cirerita, already registred here? Since she's the very first born inhabitant of Buk.net, she ought to be!
Maybe - if everybody agrees - we could time things to make HER the very number 1000.
She's special anyway, and maybe in 16 years she'll find it 'cool' being so special here.

Roni,
nope, she's not registered and I hope she will never does. I'm certainly NOT going to talk her into reading Bukowski. Bukowski is out there and she can discover him like most of us did, she doesn't need a pain-of-the-ass-daddy repeating ad nauseam how great is that fucking drunkard ;)

but thanks for the idea, maybe she'll dig that!

Ha. Better a slow 1000 legit users than a quick 2000 or 3000 spammer accounts. I will continue to clip every stray hair on this lawn!

The 1000 mark is all too realistic. There is not a single person who I have passed a Bukowski book or Poem that has not been hooked. It was the same for me when I was introduced to his work.

I'm not going to press Buk onto the kids, but they suck up books like I do and it's only a matter of time before they start scarfing them off my bookshelf.

1000 probably means we can apply for Cult status. That'll get us a discount at the liquor store. Once we hit 10,000, I think we're ripe for mainstream religon. :)

i wondered why the number was dropping instead of rising...

guys, you'd be proud of me, i just introduced someone to Buk yesterday (and also Dan Fante), someone who i just know will find in Buk everything he has been looking for in literature. i like a lot of authors, Buk isn't my absolute fav (he's in the top 5), but it's really exciting when you meet someone and you just know that Buk going to blow their socks off!

i can't wait til this guy reads his first novel or book of poems, i'll get him to register here hopefully :)

Sacrilege, Rubyred, not your favorite author. I'm cut to the quick!

Buk must be number 5 on your list (or you would have said he is in the top 2 or 3, for example)...so, pray tell, who are these other four exceptional authors?

Bobby D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back