100 members (1 Viewer)

Bobby D,
i don't think i could actually name a favourite author, or even a favourite novel... the top 5 would have no hierarchy; off the top of my head (on this particular day, in this particular moment) my 5 favs would be Buk, Raymond Carver, Richard Ford, Elizabeth Knox, Douglas Coupland, ... & Carson McCullers ... oh & Truman Capote... ok ok, i know that's more than 5... go ahead an arrest me!! ;)

speaking of the number 5...
FIVE MORE MEMBERS TO GO!!!
let the countdown begin...

in anticipation of the event, i'd just like to say a hearty "congratulations" to mjp, and also the other forum members (charter, supporting, and hangers-on such as myself) for making this one of the most worthwhile sites on this corporeal (my new favourite word) beast we call the net.

yes, i have had a few pre-cocktail-hour wines :)

... 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d

ha ha, enough for a small army, we can now invade Dan Browns estate and take his typewriter hostage.

I'll give you a conspiracy Mr Brown, there's a small group of authors who are feeding the world with their 'Big Mac' literature in order that they can turn bigger profits than some small countries...oh wait a second that's not a conspiracy thats a fact, wanker.

ahh that feels better :o

oh and well done mjp on a 1000 members, are you going to be holding a ceremony for no.1000 with a couple of hookers and some cheap fizz?

Ha. Sorry, had to take out the trash.

It will probably creep over 1000 a few times before it stays there. At least when we get there we'll know it's a real thousand.

Wow, 1000! - Within a year it will probably be 1500...
Congrats, mjp! It reflects what a good job you're doing with this site...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha. Sorry, had to take out the trash.

It will probably creep over 1000 a few times before it stays there. At least when we get there we'll know it's a real thousand.

mjp, you bastard ;)
guess i cracked open the wine a little too early...

Hey guys,

this is not really a new topic but i realized for a few minutes there a now
over thousands freaks here on this forum.

mjp - congratulations from my side !

now i saw it was posted before on this forum ahhh shit happens.....

i wondered why the number was dropping instead of rising...

guys, you'd be proud of me, i just introduced someone to Buk yesterday (and also Dan Fante), someone who i just know will find in Buk everything he has been looking for in literature. i like a lot of authors, Buk isn't my absolute fav (he's in the top 5), but it's really exciting when you meet someone and you just know that Buk going to blow their socks off!

i can't wait til this guy reads his first novel or book of poems, i'll get him to register here hopefully :)

I remember a couple of months ago I recommended Post Office to some guy in the dorms I work and live in (I think I happened to be reading Post Office for the second time in the office when he came in). Maybe he's the one that bought the last copy of Factotum from the University book store... bastard.

When you first posted this I didn't think we would get a thousand users in a thousand years, but I might have to rethink that. ;)

We're adding a consistent average of 60 users per month for the first six months of this year, so if that holds - and there's no reason it shouldn't - by June 1, 2007 we should be at 1000.

Then we'll all meet up at the San Pedro Brewing Company and get really drunk together.

That would be a good time.

I bought 'Women' for a mate of mine who'd never read Buk, I really only bought it for him because of the beginning part where he talks about not having had sex for 4 years, fortunately my mate saw the funny side and really enjoyed the book.
I also bought my sister 'Septegenarian stew' which she seemed to really enjoy, and seeing as she's writing a feminist novel at the mo, about the effects of rape on two women from different cultures I was a bit unsure as to what her reaction would be (of course there are some parts of Buks writing that may not have gone down so well i.e. the rape scene in 'Tales of Ordinary Madness')
I'm sure there are many more stories to tell of the spreading of the Gospel according to St Buk, but you know, it's good to talk :)

Ha ha -- not yet, almost!

Roughly 75% of the new "users" are spam accounts. So we're constantly cleaning those out. If we wait a few days between cleaning, a lot of them can pile up, then when they are nuked the total user number comes down a bit.

So yeah, almost 1500. Give it a few days.

And now 3,000 threads. It is impressive for the relatively small user base that we have.

I thought I knew a lot about Bukowski when this started. But I've learned more about him and his work in 2 1/2 years here than I did in the 15+ years of reading him in the dark, scary pre-forum world. ;)

... I've learned more about him and his work in 2 1/2 years here than I did in the 15+ years of reading him in the dark, scary pre-forum world.

... and i do sign this - where?

ps:
thanks to all you great wonderful immortal cats who made and make this possible!
You Are family!

I'll second that! This has been, and still is, a great adventure into the world of Buk!

Buknet rules!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, let's stop all the praise for buknet or mjp may institute monthly dues or at least a user fee. HELP KEEP BUKNET FEE NEUTRAL!

Simply put, the fact that academe has poo-pooed Bukowski's work for so long means that the folks on this forum are the world's foremost scholars on all things Bukowski...

That's what I think anyways--& it's precisely what drew me here...the chance to learn from all you drunken, cheap-jack professors! Honestly, I'm amazed by the collective knowledge & info here--thanks to you all for sharing, & I look forward to learning more.

And now 3,000 threads. It is impressive for the relatively small user base that we have.

I thought I knew a lot about Bukowski when this started. But I've learned more about him and his work in 2 1/2 years here than I did in the 15+ years of reading him in the dark, scary pre-forum world. ;)

...and you have over 5000 posts. That's like a novel. Yes, you have some very entertaining stuff in that.

I tried to slow down to let one of you fuckers catch up before I got to 5000, but it didn't work.

And she is a beauty!

84_Reliant_Frt_RH_494.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back