1992 NYG "Now" (1 Viewer)

I've been under the impression that the New Year's Greeting poems all appeared in common publications. I did a search for Now, and there were several hits, but apparently many of the listings are for a different poem. The poem in the 1992 NYG refers to Buk typing on his Macintosh, so the old references are out.

The most likely match would appear on the surface to be in The Last Night..., but that's a different poem entitled Now.

So what's up, was the poem Now from the '92 NYG published elsewhere? The database doesn't list any poem called Now in the posthumous collections.

Thanks!

New database says "Now" makes a lot of appearances in books:

At Terror Street and Agony Way pg. 77
Burning in Water Drowning in Flame pg. 155
The Last Night of the Earth Poems pg. 136
War All the Time pg. 248
The Pleasures of the Damned pg. 153

I don't have that NYG so I can't compare for you.

Here are the first few lines...

I sit here on the 2nd floor
hunched over in yellow
pajamas
still prewtending to be
a writer.
some damned gall,
at 71,
my brain cells eaten
away by
life.

Thanks all. So is ROC correct in that it's considered to be one of the "Uncollected" poems? Seems unusual, as I think that almost all of the other NYG poems are in the major publications.

So is ROC correct in that it's considered to be one of the "Uncollected" poems?
No, he wasn't. "Now" (NYG 1992) has been published as The Gods (in Betting on the Muse).

Here are my photos of the booklet:

P2020083.jpg P2020084.jpg
P2020085.jpg P2020086.jpg P2020087.jpg

The DB now lists six poems with the title Now and indeed they are all different. However, I would note that the poem of this title in At Terror Street is actually entitled Now :.

Punctuation is removed from the end of the database titles for the sake of consistency.

I know that "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," but what did that guy know anyway.

My mistake, I didn't count Storm for the Living and the Dead.

1. At Terror Street and Agony Way (1968)
2. Burning in Water Drowning in Flame (1974)
3. War All the Time (1984)
4. The Last Night of the Earth Poems (1992)
5. Betting on the Muse (1996)
6. Storm for the Living and the Dead (2017)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back