20 Tanks From Kasseldown - Portfolio, 1946 (4 Viewers)

You have a point (sort of). In music, when a band like the Grateful Dead or Pearl Jam say it's okay for fans to record and distribute their concerts, the term bootleg takes on a different meaning. While the recordings may have been done without the express permission of the band, the band does tacitly approve of them. However, they never say that it's okay to sell them.

If someone were to make a copy of one of these band's official releases and then sell them, that would be a bootleg in the traditional sense and you can be sure that the band(s) would not be okay with that.

Bootleg usually means to copy something without explicit or tacit permission and then sell it, so since 20 Tanks was a copy of someone's work (in terms of copying the original layout), but was done with permission of the author, I guess that it's sort of a half-bootleg. Had Red done this without any permission, then yeah, it would be a bootleg.

You have a point (sort of). In music, when a band like the Grateful Dead or Pearl Jam say it's okay for fans to record and distribute their concerts, the term bootleg takes on a different meaning. While the recordings may have been done without the express permission of the band, the band does tacitly approve of them. However, they never say that it's okay to sell them.

If someone were to make a copy of one of these band's official releases and then sell them, that would be a bootleg in the traditional sense and you can be sure that the band(s) would not be okay with that.

Bootleg usually means to copy something without explicit or tacit permission and then sell it, so since 20 Tanks was a copy of someone's work (in terms of copying the original layout), but was done with permission of the author, I guess that it's sort of a half-bootleg. Had Red done this without any permission, then yeah, it would be a bootleg.

In this case, if Red xeroxed another publishers layout, he would also technically need permission from that publisher too. Buk owned the words, but the published would have owned the layout and design...

Bill

And it is very possible that the publisher knew of what Red did and gave permission. Either way, it is a xeroxed and signed release. I'm a completest, but have never had a desire to own this "release".

Bill

Springsteen also encouraged bootleggers during the 70s/early 80s.
I have a bootleg, where he even states through the mic: "Are any bootleggers out there? Roll your tape!" and then plays a song that wasn't on LP then.

Still these were bootlegs, since they were done by people from the audience and the record company didn't give permission.

Anyway, a bootleg is usually a recording made by the bootlegger on his own.
a copy of an existing work is a different thing. It's a copy.
so i don't see the term 'bootleg' matching here.
Which says zero about the legal status or collectible value of the item, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back