5124 De Longpre - new photos (2 Viewers)

Damn! Looks like someone is living there. I'm gonna be apartment hunting soon and this would have been a nifty place to live.

But I probably couldn't afford it anyway.

<edit>
Just googled the address and found this little photo tour of some of Bukowki's haunts. Does this photo page belong to a member here?
</edit>

That's fucked up if one of you bitches steals that sign...the city probably wouldnt shell out the dough to put up another one and you would be doing Bukowski a disfavor. I walk/drive by there all the time...better hope that I don't see you doing that shit...You'll get at least a cracked windshield, for sure.

I'm going to steal it, then I'm going to beat your ass with it. For sure. They'll drag you to the emergency room and the doctor will say, "How did you get all these sign-shaped contusions?" But you won't be able to answer because you'll just be all crying and shit.

The court is still there, the angle of that picture is just funny. The big apartment buildings have been on either side for a long time. The neighborhood is not as colorful as it was 40 years ago, but it's not all gentrified. Yet. Give it another 40 years.

A couple more from yesterday. From different angles.

DeLongpre2.jpg

DeLongpre1.jpg

It looks pretty nice, and I'm sure the rent will be pretty nice too.
Thanks, Rob...

Last edited by a moderator:
The court is still there, the angle of that picture is just funny. The big apartment buildings have been on either side for a long time. The neighborhood is not as colorful as it was 40 years ago, but it's not all gentrified. Yet. Give it another 40 years.

mjp, it seems to me there was another row of similar court apartments on the left side, which is gone now. Maybe that shows on the older photos -- I haven't checked.

That makes sense, since the courts were usually in two rows, facing each other. The apartment building on the left has been there for at least 15 years. I never went by DeLongpre before that.

that sunshine thing is too cheerful. someone do something about that.

That's fucked up if one of you bitches does something about that...better hope that I don't see you doing that shit...You'll get at least a cracked windshield, for sure.

(Is everybody shaking now ? Good.)

That looks pretty nice again. Thanks, Rob.

The moon and the sun... can someone please smash these things?

I'm envious of the palms, though.

number6horse, watch closely for sunshine-shaped contusions in your face! i'm sure you are also shaking in your boots. oooooh scary! ;)

I was in a hurry yesterday, actually I meant the sun and the moon should be replaced by paintings of a raging, violent artist.

Somehow forgot the name.

Sm...
Sme...
Smeargol?

I dunno, but he's awesome.

that sunshine thing is too cheerful. someone do something about that.

Sunshine does not always mean cheerful. I know what it's like to be depressed in sunshine, feeling baked and beaten. In Southern California we get so much sunshine that we can get so accustomed to that it becomes monotonous and boring.

Someone mentioned Big Donuts. There's not just one: there are (or were) a bunch of big donuts scattered around the LA area. I once made a book of photographs of them, a small, self published Xeroxed edition. I scouted out every donut shop I could find with a big donut on top and ran around, taking pictures of them with a cheap shit plastic camera I bought in a thriftstore for 39 cents.

Ah, I've been through this thread and missed this. My dad has been a delivery guy all throughout all these areas for, well he says 35 years. You don't by chance still have copies of your xeroxed edition of big donuts do ya? My dad loved big donuts, was there all the time. Man how I heard about it when they showed it in an Iron Man trailer and some other end of the world movie where they showed big donuts? Anyway, rekrab, that would be really cool to see.

nervas: I've thought about reprinting my Big Donuts photo book -- the original edition was very limited -- and the timing would have been great had I done it to coincide with the release of IRONMAN 2 (I knew about the donut scene in it long ago -- my wife's a Downey fan), but I've been so busy with my sillyass life the opportunity came and went. Still, I ought to reissue it. The photos were Xeroxed in the book so the quality was poor. I could do back to the original black and white glossies and do it right, although the irony would be that the originals themselves are low quality, due to the crappy plastic lens on the thriftstore camera I used. Thanks for reminding me that I should do this. If/when I do, I'll announce it here on the Forum.

Cool. I would probably add some text so it's more than just the photos. I'd love to give the technical specs on the cheap plastic camera but it's long gone. Thriftstores don't seem to sell those 39 cent cameras any more -- at least the ones I go to don't. They used film size 127 (I think). As much as I love digital photography (so clear, so cheap, and you can edit the hell out of the images), I miss chemical photography. It had soul. But I still have a bunch of old film cameras and maybe some day when I'm finally really retired I'll mess around with them, set up a dark room again, etc.

At least they got the span right.
Besides, we was "poet and novelist," not the other way round.
As David already had said.

I wonder if Bukowski knew that his long-time residence was in a street named after a French painter of flowers (?!?).
I didn't.

Last edited:
Glad to see that the local politicians followed through on their promise to make his DeLongpre address a cultural landmark. Why would the sign not be there for long? It will stand for 1,000 years. It will stand through the centuries. This is Bukowski we're talking about here.

A couple more from yesterday. From different angles.

...I’ve got a week off from the j-o-b this coming week after next. I’m driving my ass around El Lay to a few of Bukowski’s old haunts. I’m hoping that chair is still there so I can drink a few Heinekens after I take some pics. Do you think I’ll make it through a six pack before I get kicked out? ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back