6 Things I Learned from Charles Bukowski (1 Viewer)

James--interesting comments but a couple of things are a bit off. Not sure what you mean by the opening "Bukowski was disgusting, his actual real fiction is awful." "Bukowski"/"Chinaski" the literary character often behaves in odd ways, but I think it's off to say "Bukowski was disgusting." And what is "actual real fiction"? In #2 you write "so he quit writing for ten years." Not so. A commonly held myth, but he kept writing and submitted to Story, Poetry Chicago, etc. He published a poem in 1951. There was a period between 1952-1955 (I think that's about right--need to check again) when nothing appeared in print but he was still writing. Also you write "he was going through three marriages." Only two confirmed marriages, unless he was married to Jane-- this seems possible but unlikely. Also in #6 you perpetuate the "misogynist" myth. "Misanthrope" perhaps would be better. He was equally put out with males and females.

What happened to the first comment? The one that theorized that people of your "ilk" can never really understand Bukowski? Deleting anything critical of yourself is not a path to success and financial freedom, James. Shame on you.

And why does this look so familiar...

Untitled-1.jpg

I readily admitted I stole the design from South but No North.

As for deleting comments. You didn't really provide any substance. I would've happily engaged in a discussion about my favorite author but when someone comes into my house and I don't like them then I kick them out, just like Buk would've.

I'm not what you meant by my "ilk" but it sounds like you're trying to insult me. You don't know me, my background, or anything about me really. One thing my "ilk" is: i don't take bullshit from your "ilk".

I'm not what you meant by my "ilk" but it sounds like you're trying to insult me. You don't know me, my background, or anything about me really. One thing my "ilk" is: i don't take bullshit from your "ilk".
It wasn't my comment, tough guy. I was just wasting 10 minutes of my life reading your article and saw the comment before you could delete it.

I've nothing against James. I really don't. Blog away...blog away. But damn me if he doesn't look like my 8th grade lesbian algebra teacher (based on the assumption that's him in the avatar).

I don't take the time to read his blogpost - too long for my tastes.
But somehow I like his guts.
Hope he doesn't ruin everything.

p.s.: his avatar is the young Allen Ginsberg

Hang in there James, like Chinaski taking a beating in the alley...
These college professors ain't go no stamina!

my rocket don't need no surgery...if you catch my drift.

I'm saying my penis is adequate to my needs. not necessarily to the needs of my lady, but my needs. dig?

"Bukowski was disgusting..."

Um...yeah...says NO ONE that knew him. In fact, you hear the word "beautiful" thrown around quite a bit. But they had the advantage of knowing the man.

And now: back to more about Hooch's adequate junk!

I thought it was a pretty awesome blog post and knowing that James comes from the financial world vs. the literary world makes it that much more awesome in my opinion. Wall street could use some Buk. (not to mention, more protesters)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back