$935 burning a hole in your pocket? (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
dotki.png

buk.xxx is available too. I don't see much value in new (like .xxx) or country code (like .ki or .me) TLDs though. I own a grand total of one .us domain, the rest are com, net and org.

On Thursday they open up the field to anyone to register anything. Meaning you could get .bosp, .buk, .anything.

Of course you have to pay $185,000 (plus $25,000 quarterly) for the privilege. But then you can sell domains on your extension. Expect to see shit like drink.coke soon. And expect 99% of the people in the world to not realize that's a domain name. A lot of companies are about to waste a lot of money.

that's interesting... i thought del.icio.us was a really clever domain name, but stuff like bukows.ki is so overdone. yes, you found a country with the same last two letters as your product - let me pay you 200K a year to be "web marketing manager." still, i'm happy for the government of tuvalu for raking it in on .tv domains. is there really that much to be gained from drink.coke versus just drinkcoke.com? or for that matter, youbelonginthecircus.com versus youbelonginthecirc.us?

is there really that much to be gained from drink.coke versus just drinkcoke.com? or for that matter, youbelonginthecircus.com versus youbelonginthecirc.us?
No, there isn't.

Having said that, I spent a good part of the day looking for aaa.bb domains, because we want to start using our own URL shortening database at work rather that using ow.ly or bit.ly or one of the other dozen shorteners out there. Those things are a necessary evil when you're working with Twitter.

For now, anyway. Twitter is going to introduce new "Tweets" that can have embedded video and images, so the 140 character limit will probably be a thing of the past soon.

Send me the contact for that $200k web marketing job though. Most online marketing managers that I know make about 30-40% of that these days. People with those titles are a dime a dozen. You might - might - get $200k from a huge multinational if you have half a dozen business and marketing degrees. And 10 years of experience. And you know the CEO. Or Obama.

you're working in non vc-backed tech. either get into vc-backed tech (requirements: MBA from stanford; cargo shorts; 3-day stubble) and you'll be making double that... or go into consumer packaged goods - salaries in that industry are ridiculously inflated, but that's because every recent MBA grad who doesn't want to work in tech (see previous) is applying there.

I hear you. But a flood of applicants generally depresses wages (see all the people crying that they can't afford to pay the loans they took out to become lawyers because all they can find are $50k clerk's job).

As for working for a company that survives on venture capital, no thanks. We already proved that to be unsustainable once (hooray 2000!), and it will prove to be unsustainable again. Greed shortens people's memories. I suspect we'll see subprime property loans again when Mit Romney is President. But at least I'll still have a job. Probably.

Apropos of something, I used to do a lot of hiring, and a 24 year old will commonly come in with seven or eight jobs on their resume. If you ask why they only worked somewhere for six months they talk about better opportunities, or learning new skills. All I see is someone who I'm going to spend 20 grand training only to have them take that and go somewhere else as soon as they think they "know the job." But the reality is they don't really know anything. They have an odd idea of what "work" is. We're really doomed if these space monkeys are supposed to run things in 20 years. Really doomed. Even Mit Romney won't be able to save us.

See, you should have bought when it was only $935.

Though in all fairness, that $3277.75 is for two years...

kidomain.png

On Thursday they open up the field to anyone to register anything. Meaning you could get .bosp, .buk, .anything.
And today we finally see the first results of that process, and they are what you might call underwhelming:

.guru
.bike
.clothing
.holdings
.ventures
.singles
.plumbing

Really? .plumbing made the first round of general availability? Incidentally, the lowest price I see on any of those new extensions is $129 a year. Crazy x 10.

These will be the next ones to come down the pike:

.build
.cab
.camera
.careers
.center
.company
.computer
.construction
.contractors
.diamonds
.directory