A Holiday Wish… This girl's fucked anyway.... (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
So some folks here know I sell stuff on eBay and I’m probably not liked any more for it… Unless you want your book prices to go up in value…

I got the note below earlier today and just loved it and I think you will too. I have encouraged her to post this on Buk.net, but she will most likely not…

OK, Buk hated Christmas and I’m not fond of the holidays either. And I personally hate it when someone tries to talk me into contributing to anything, so I’m going against my instincts here...

But if a young person, especially female, wants Buk for Christmas, I think we should try to help – especially when you read the circumstances.

I like my readable copies and don’t like to give them away, unless I’m drunk and trying to force them upon someone… But if folks in the U.S. have some doubles (like I do), I think this is a good investment…

I will post the mailing address as soon as I have it….

Hello there! Well my step-daughter would like some of this guys books 4 Christmas. As I browse eBay it seems I can pick & choose a variety 4 about $5 with ship., BUT, AT THE SAME TIME I always like talking 2 someone who knows what they're talking about, so when I came across your ad, I figured U R the EXPERT KING of this guys books! I have 7 kids ages 16-27 from my 1st marriage, 3 daughter in laws, 3 grandsons, & 2 step children ages 16 &19. I mention that bcuz I have a lot 2 buy 4 & really like getting them what they like, & I'd rather not spend time researching all this guys books! She luvs his poems, & would like a small collection of his stuff. I will trust you 2 just tell me what I should buy & I will get those. She's an artsie girl, like ugly Christmas sweaters, intelligent....my budget 4 her is now only about $50 after having already gotten her some other stuff. Tell me what I can get 4 my $ with U & I will buy from U! Sorry 4 the text type of type, allows 4 more characters!

If they had used the words for and to instead of 4 and 2, and because instead of bcuz, loves instead of luvs, and you instead of U I'd do it. Apology not accepted. There are plenty of extraneous words in that message that would have allowed for better grammar. They didn't save any time by doing so, but they alienated me from any worthy cause they might have. Yup. There you have it.

I actually have several books I'd be more than willing to give away, and have done so. I will not support internet-speak in any way, shape, or form. Having recently turned 50 and as an old guy, I've decided to be a pit-bull regarding language. Hell, if you're a native Spanish, Hindi, German, French, or other native speaker, you get some slack. But if you're born in the U.S., damn; make it work.

Should said request be properly phrased in an appeal, I would consider it. Not that I'd be in any dire straights to send these to a needy cause or even a not-so-needy cause, but I'm very cognizant that there are scheisters out there as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to say that kind of idiot typing distracts me as well, and it almost always makes me think that the person on the other end of the wire doesn't really deserve a response. Bcuz if U don hav 4 seconds 2 spare 4 typing 2 me U R out of luck.

The run-on block of crazy person text doesn't help either.

Though I will admit that I do have a soft spot for young kids who want to read Bukowski but don't have a lot of money to throw around. I used to buy a lot of copies just to give away. But I stopped doing that, because, you know, what am I, the fucking pied piper of/for Bukowski? He doesn't need me to do anything for him. What with being dead and all.

I agree that her writing is downright terrible and believe me, I am as big an opposer of the "Internet language" as anyone else here. But is this girl's typing really something worth getting hung up on in this particular case? She has obviously got her seemingly somewhat crazy heart in the right place and she was at least decent enough to attach an explanation for her typing, even though it was, to say at least, a poor explanation.

If it wasn't for the fact that I live in Sweden and unfortunately don't own enough Bukowski books enough myself yet, I'd be more than willing to share the Word with other likeminded and appreciating people out there. Where's the love, fellas?

I don't see the harm. Turning people on to something like an author or music is one of the best reasons to be alive. She is not her kid and her kid may be the next whatever that kids name is…and we can say we knew her when.
There is a reason they are called gifts. My two cents (Canadian)

Having recently turned 50 and as an old guy, I've decided to be a pit-bull regarding language.

Dear Mr. Stickpin,
Love you brother. But I must ask that you read Mr. Bukowski’s letters in Beerspit Night And Cursing. He and Miss. Martinelli BOTH have this crappy shorthand that makes it impossible to read the letters. I can at least figure out the internet-ghetto speak from this person, but the bullshit intellectual thing that Buk and Sheri were doing made it impossible for me to read the book – and I was on the toilet with nothing else within reach -- I was completely fucked!!!

Now, let’s keep in mind that this is MOM talking, not the daughter who wants the Bukowski books. Would we not like the next generation of this family to have a little better grip of the American language?

Finally, let’s not forget that Buk was put down for his own writing because it wasn’t “intellectual” enough. Yet, those people are all fucking dead and he is still alive….

Like I said, Stickpin, I love your posts, but I’m calling you on this one: You’re on the hook now for at least 5 books.

Please send to the following address:

Address removed for privacy.
Please PM Pogue if you wish to learn the address. Ed.

Let's make this nice and sparkling clear; clear as an azure sky in deepest summer. I am only on the hook to my wife, and I mean that metaphorically.

Last edited:
Me stupid don' understan' nothing, being not a native speaker and all, but as far as I got it, this woman wasn't begging for gratis-books but asked for some competent info and tips on what to buy (up to 50.- USD) for her step-daughter (aged 16 or 19) who loves Bukowski-poems.

Did I get that wrong?
If not, here's my serious recommendation:

Either find out, which books of Buk-poetry she already has and buy her 2-3 additional pre-mortem-volumes (free choice on her side, but maybe 'Burning in Water' and/or 'You Get So Alone' would be included).
OR, if she has many of those books already -
- since she loves the poetry, give her the 2-DVD-set 'One Tough Mother'.

The girl then can enjoy Bukowski-poems presented by the man himself, delivered in his very own moods and style and appreciate his slow, cool voice and appearance. She'll read all the poems anew after that experience, (having his voice in her head). - She can even start to infect those of her friends who usually wouldn't pick a book.

Last edited:
Please don't yell at me.....I'm just an innocent bystander. Once again roni comes in with a calm, clear, logical voice and offers a good solution. The DVD idea is a great idea. She can show the DVD to her potentially small minded friends and hopefully expand their horizons.

I agree with how horrible this internet speak crap is. It's another sign of the USA's slow and steady decent into stupidity. Was it really Bevis and Butthead who started this country down this path?

Well it's up to Pogue to figure out what he wants to do, if he really feels like following through on it. I don't got no darn free books to give away. That's for sure. I gotta feed the fish.

[...] this internet speak crap [...] Was it really Bevis and Butthead who started this [...]?
No, it was Sheri Martinelli writing things like:

"’z all right—take yr time/ you KNO I will/ zo damm’d much to do…and still in fk up dept due to it being the Tai Yin or Grit Dark…acc’d to Slant philo. [...]"

and one Charles Bukowski being not ashamed to correspond back like this:

"if yv nvr ridden ina bean u don no wat livin means n to hell with Vivaldi, n if uv never been in a room wit Sheri M while she’s tossed her beercans against the walls or talked abt Gramps and Cantos 90 and 92, well, the hell with—Vivaldi, if u’ve never seen Sheri rip the phone frum the wall [...]"

You're probably looking at the future of the English language,
it's probably going to be a spelling free for all in the next 30 yrs - can't stop evolution,
to hell if I can make out those Medieval and Elizabethan treatises that I am forever perusing.

Thinking some more about how language changes and becomes almost unreadable after a few centuries,
reading this about the words Shakespeare invented and added to the language pretty amazing really:

[...]Shakespeare is credited with contributing more new words to the English language than any other single person - approx 2,000! Some of the many new words he invented to enhance the Elizabethan language and vocabulary are as follows:

Accused Addiction Amazement Arouse Assassinate Blushing Champion Circumstantial Compromise Courtship Countless Critic Dawn Epileptic Elbow Excitement Exposure Frugal Generous Gossip Hint Impartial Invulnerable Jaded Label Lonely Luggage Majestic Negotiate Obscene Premeditated Puke Scuffle Torture Tranquil Varied and Worthless.

ELIZABETHAN ERA
www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/‎

Purple Stickpin here's the answer to that old question about the HORSEMEAT pictures. They were all printed as glossies, never was a matte type made as a picture for the book. I spoke to john personally on the subject.

skiroomalum as a know it all smart ass try this one on for size. I have spoken to John Martin personally on a regular basis for nearly 45 years, visited his homes with my relatives in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Santa Rosa his current residence. I have enjoyed the fine cooking of his wife Barbara, who as an artist designed virtually all of the Black Sparrow Press covers, on numerous occasions. Yes, I speak to John regularly. He is a life long dear friend of mine. Do you know how to eat crow?

[...] words Shakespeare invented and added to the language [...] "Accused Addiction Amazement Arouse Assassinate Blushing Champion Circumstantial Compromise Courtship" [...]
Whenever I hear that a word or saying we all take for granted has been invented by a specific author in a given work (others than Shakey have done so too), I wonder how he managed to get his invention into the everyday-use of the language. I'd usually expect the public reactions to such an attempt in older times quite similar to our days, by which I mean something like: "this young wannabe-hipster with his ubercool use of non-existing words is screwing all dignity in our language! Look how incorrect and childish he handles it!"

So I bow to Shakey, Goethe, Martin Luther, etc: It seems not too hard to create a couple of new words, but extremely hard to get them into common language. Great marketing!

I have spoken to John Martin personally on a regular basis for nearly 45 years... He is a life long dear friend of mine. Do you know how to eat crow?
I personally enjoy crow braised, which is quite unusual I know, but preserves its essential gaminess.
As far as your relationships with the Martins, I say huzzah, and as you retreat soon into that sweet goodnight,
I hope John will be there, to hold your hand and soothe thy fevered brow.

mjp, I visit this site rarely due to your ne'er do well manner and the boorish vile language from your foul postings. I chose to respond on this page because I received an email about my earlier posting. I was asked by Purple Stickpin about Horsemeat photos about a year ago, but never replied to him because I gave up on this site before responding. It may be a long time again before I return. Over a year ago when I left here I spoke to John Martin about you and he also thinks you are an ill mannered jerk.

James: Can you tell the forum why you ignore my question and try to be friends
with the owner of this site?

I'm confused.

I thought planahea was William J. "Bill" Whitaker, Martin's boy. You can see here how close they were, Martin gave him gold stars:

gold star.jpg

Which only goes to show, you can take the man out of office supplies, but you can't take the office supplies out of the man.

[...]Shakespeare is credited with contributing more new words to the English language than any other single person - approx 2,000! Some of the many new words he invented to enhance the Elizabethan language and vocabulary are as follows:

Accused Addiction Amazement Arouse Assassinate Blushing Champion Circumstantial Compromise Courtship Countless Critic Dawn Epileptic Elbow Excitement Exposure Frugal Generous Gossip Hint Impartial Invulnerable Jaded Label Lonely Luggage Majestic Negotiate Obscene Premeditated Puke Scuffle Torture Tranquil Varied and Worthless.

This is amazing. Deserves a thread of its own.
I think that from the beginning Shakey's work was so embraced by the public that the words almost had to catch on and become part of the vocabulary.
He was an institution even during his lifetime. Almost like today with the N.Y. Times. If the Times uses a word or grammar repeatedly, it becomes a proper word or proper grammar.
The word assassins existed in Persian. Shakey may have been the first to Anglicize it. The Assassins were a group of hired killers in the mountains of Persia. They were called the Hash Eaters. In Persian this sounded like hesh-eshans.

Kerouak tried this making up of words, but his made up words are so non-sensical that I don't think they will ever catch on. When I first read him, though, I was so young that I looked up some of them in the dictionary and couldn't figure out why they weren't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back