A new Charles Bukowski-inspired magazine (buk scene) (1 Viewer)

Ponder

"So fuck Doubleday Doran"
RIP
Hello buknet members

It took a while, you may ask the contributors,
but yes, we are finally ready to announce the first publication of
Purple Glow Press.
Ponder and Black Swan have been collaborating
for over a year to create buk scene.
A new magazine it is, promoting unpublished poetry and new
essays on Bukowski and original art work.

buk scene 1 is a limited edition of 252 copies, 200 numbered, 26 lettered and a special black and white edition of 26 numbered copies.

112 pages, big format: 8.5" by 11"
Scroll down to view the buk scene 1 front cover.

Flat in the middle of the magazine, we are featuring a 32 pages article on Steve Richmond, written by Mike Daily. It is titled Gagaku Meat.

The numbered edition is $15, the lettered edition $25 and the special black & white edition is $17.
The magazine will be shipped from Canada where it is being printed as we speak.

The lettered copy will include a beautiful purple blank page of acid free Canson paper with a hand printed letter, and perhaps a hand scribbled doodle, if time permits.
Then, we will add two different unpublished postcards, from oil paintings inspired by photographs of Charles Bukowski, plus a colored print of the painting Buk and Tina, on photographic paper with a personal greeting. An added feature is that the Gagaku Meat article will be printed on goldenrod paper.

The regular numbered edition will also include a colored postcard
of Buk and Tina.

front_cover.JPG

The special black and white edition will differ by featuring a black and white cover with buk scene 1 in red, followed by a red blank page of acid free Canson paper with a hand printed number and a small drawing, if time permits, plus a black and white print of the painting "Bukowski", on photographic paper with a personal greeting and an unpublished black and white postcard, profile of bukowski (oil inspired by a photograph taken by Linda Bukowski.)

You can order buk scene 1 by sending a private message to Ponder, or send an e-mail to [email protected] (this is NOT our paypal address), then the payments can be paid through paypal.

In order to keep the postage as low as possible, we will be sending the magazines one at a time as letterpost, to avoid sending them as small packet, which significantly boosts the shipping cost. The mag. weights almost one pound, so we will try to keep the postage as low as possible.

Shipping to the USA is $6.50 and shipping to Europe is $13.

Part of the buk scene 1 content

Tribute poems to Steve Richmond by Todd Moore, Neeli Cherkovski and Jim Chandler.

Unpublished essays on Bukowski:

Flowers For the Grave of Charles Bukowski
A journal written in the days after Bukowski's death by David Barker.

Bukowski: Wrack & Ruin. The Destruction & Salvation of American Poetry
by Hosho McCreesh.

Harry Calhoun's "a small foot in the Small Press" (includes excerpts of unpublished Charles Bukowski and John Martin letters.)

A visit to the Dew Drop Inn (plus photographs) by David Barker.

The Birth of Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook by David Calonne.

Oil paintings by Jocelyne Desforges (black swan):
Charles Bukowski and Tina Darby in full color.
Bukowski from a photograph by Linda Bukowski, Post Office, the book cover of The Last Night of the Earth Poems in full color,
detail of Bukowski (book cover of Portions of a wine-stained notebook), Bukowski, from a photograph of Bukowski by Michael Montfort.

Unpublished poetry: Michael Phillips, Steve Richmond, Stephen Hines, David Moscovich, Linda King, Justin.Barrett, Christopher Cunningham, Justin Hyde, Whitney Woolf, Father Luke and others.

Gagaku Meat: The Steve Richmond Story, by Mike Daily.
Gagaku Meat is a 32-page special feature including rare photos, book covers, letter excerpts, ephemera and more.

Daily interviewed a lot of poets, writers and publishers including Gerald Locklin, FrancEyE (Frances Smith, mother of Bukowski's daughter, Marina), John Martin, A.D. Winans, Linda King, Ron Androla, S.A. Griffin, Alan Kaufman, Mat Gleason, Billy Childish and many others.

Here is a preview: [This video is unavailable.]

In memoriam - Michael Montfort, by David Calonne.

All ink drawings in buk scene 1 by Jocelyne Desforges.

Unpublished poetry by the late Dave Church, (written on the back of letters to A.D. Winans.)

Photographs by Lawrence Robbin: Charles Bukowski & Linda Lee Beighle in 1976.
Steve Richmond reading FUCK HATE in front of his cave in 1976, (this photo is the back cover of buk scene 1.)

Tribute poems to Charles Bukowski by Hosho McCreesh, Justin.Barrett, and others.

Column on the American Small Press by Rodger Jacobs.

Tribute poems to Dave Church by A.D. Winans and Glenn W. Cooper.

J & J

Mike Daily

Mike interviewed me thoroughly for something that was no more than two or three paragraphs. A real professional, I was impressed with his very professional process.

Hell Yeah !!!

run to the store boys & girls , this one's a masterpiece for sure.

love the youtubeclip too.

a clever piece of work J & J

so long,

mick

You don't see a such a big mag about Buk (and others) for such a reasonable price every day! The content looks very interesting too. I can see a lot of well-known Buk scholars have contributed to the mag. Well done, Ponder and Black Swan! What a job it must have been...

(I've already ordered a lettered copy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments, everybody!

March 4 is the last day we will ship, because black swan will be in Europe for 2 months.
So if you want to order a copy or extra copies, please order them as soon as possible.

Send me a PM or send an e-mail to: [email protected]

Today we start shipping.

(p.s. all credits to black swan, buk scene 1 looks so pretty because
she has done all the hard and creative work.)

thanks to ponder for thinking enough of my stuff to include in this fine collection! can't wait to read this bad boy, even if justin.barrett and mccreesh are in it ;)

thanks for the hard work and great art!

can't wait to read this bad boy, even if justin.barrett and mccreesh are in it ;)
What am I, chopped liver?! Fucking boys club jockey short swordfight clique motherfuckers! I see how it is. I'm going to start a magazine just so I can lock you three fuckers out of it. It's just going to be me and Luke Miljevich, and we'll show you manicured, apron-string, pinky-sipping daddy day care bitches how it's done.

What am I, chopped liver?! Fucking boys club jockey short swordfight clique motherfuckers! I see how it is. I'm going to start a magazine just so I can lock you three fuckers out of it. It's just going to be me and Luke Miljevich, and we'll show you manicured, apron-string, pinky-sipping daddy day care bitches how it's done.

Unpublished poetry: Michael Phillips, Steve Richmond, STEPHEN HINES, David Moscovich, Linda King, Justin.Barrett, Christopher Cunningham, Justin Hyde, Whitney Woolf, Father Luke and others.

everybody calm the fuck down. we all know the guy that's going to push this dead tree edition is the one up there in bold all caps. he's the Laphroaig.

everything else is Cutty Sark.

yeah, that's right. Cutty Sark.

okay, son: you do that; I'm sure it'll be a success. who are you again?

but just so you don't feel left out: you suck too, just like those other two I mentioned. and maybe you would feel better, and not burst a neck vein, if you'd stop being so blinded by your own big tough macho wang-swinging real badboy butch ass kick ass he-man woman hater's club mentality that you can't appreciate a little well-groomed, relaxed smoking jacket smooth jazz excellence...

and can I please have the submission info for your new magazine?

;)

your official jacket is en route.

and for mjp we can offer a musty sack of our used club sweatbands, worn only once in our "Pompous Ceremony" where we mock and belittle other "writers" who somehow manage to appear in the same magazines as Us.

he can sort out what to do with em, we feel certain...

;)

also: who is Luke Milwhoevervich?

I use your smoking jackets to wipe your wives sweat off various parts of my body that can't be specifically named in a family forum such as this, but you already knew that you ham fisted clerical pool rejects (yes, both of you now). I knew you were jealous, but I had no idea of the depth of your bitterness and impotent rage.

On a lighter note, I just read one of your poems - the one about your heart needing bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts because it's so prone to breakage. Quite a piece of work. Congrats on rhyming styrofoam. I hope the Developmentally Disabled Annual sends you lots of extra copies so you can seal them up in a time capsule and bury them under the mound of dirty diapers next to your double wide. For future generations to read, you know.

On a lighter note, I just read one of your poems - the one about your heart needing bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts because it's so prone to breakage. Quite a piece of work. Congrats on rhyming styrofoam. I hope the Developmentally Disabled Annual sends you lots of extra copies so you can seal them up in a time capsule and bury them under the mound of dirty diapers next to your double wide. For future generations to read, you know.

well, in the interests of full disclosure, I think we should let the public here read the poem in question and let them decide once on for all who the true master is.

suck on this, bitches!
Only Unicorns Know My Pain!

Tick? Do you hear a tick?
Butterfly heart fluttering thick.

Within my chest it barely moves,
While I wish it were thundering hooves.

My heart, you see, is not free to roam.
Bundled tight in Styrofoam.

Packaging peanuts protect a flower.
A flowering heart prone to love's devour.

And you, the devourer, always coming back,
To slowly, deliciously, pop my bubble wrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave NO ONE permission to reprint UNICORN, nor do I appreciate the public scorn. That piece came from a very painful time in my life...

Actually...it wasn't me. The title is way too short!

The Unicorn's Horn, a Dusty
Shell of Pain and Longing
Shines a Beacon onto the Sands
and the Beachgoers
Look up and Listen to the Sky
Knowing that...

...soon it will
be their
time
too.

there, hosh, is that better?

hope no one takes offense. i own (and really like) hosho's bosp book, and he's in the chance press book, so we know where i really stand.

I'm sure he can too; that was just a very funny (and not unwholly accurate) post from Jordan. I hope we all have thick enough skins to accept a gentle barb now and again; which is just what that was.

Dear members,

Today is the last chance to order buk scene 1.
In may w'll continue shipping again.

Here are some photo's:

numbered edition.jpg numbered black&white edition.JPG

Ponder:

Psyched to get my letter version. Psyched to read; and view the artwork.

I am very interested in reading a taste of the new poetry being written today, as it is an area of my life that has been neglected. My last major "new" poetry acquisition was Father Luke's book. And it rocked the house. I'm sure this will, too.

And thanks in advance for all of your hard work compiling, coordinating, printing, etc.

Sincerest best wishes. For this one and many more...

Pax,

hm/Munch

Thanks everybody.

All copies; the numbered, lettered, and the special black & white editon have been sent.

Like I said before; really, black swan is the engine of buk scene 1.
W're already busy with buk scene 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back