A star Bukowski could have loved (1 Viewer)

... and when asked by Clive James later on in the interview why he drank....

"Because the finest people I've ever met in my life are in pubs"

Yer gotta love him!

RIP Ollie.

I think Buk would have liked him. Reed did'nt give a shit either...

Last edited by a moderator:
In an interview with Russell Crowe (discussing the film 'Gladiator' starring Reed and Crowe), it was revealed that Reed's last words as he lay dying on that bar room floor in Malta, reputedly, were, "I won't get up, I'll just keep drinking piss from down here".

What a guy!! God love ya Ollie!! Sleep well, ya crazy bastard!!!

My main memory of Oliver Reed was of him appearing on David Letterman's NBC late-night show (circa 1983-1984), and being 4 sheets to the wind. I'm talking fugged up, and ready to brawl. It was clear he didn't like Letterman to begin with, and David didn't help matters at all either by being a total smart-ass. (When wasn't he in those days ? Though nowadays he hosts presidential candidates...) It was one of the more uncomfortable television interviews EVER.

My other memory of O.R. was as a 1960's British horror film star. I think he was in the one that featured hostile turtles split in half with axes. Their innards resembled spaghetti. A classic of late-night TV in the 1970's.

My main memory of Oliver Reed was of him appearing on David Letterman's NBC late-night show (circa 1983-1984), and being 4 sheets to the wind. I'm talking fugged up, and ready to brawl. It was clear he didn't like Letterman to begin with, and David didn't help matters at all either by being a total smart-ass. (When wasn't he in those days ? Though nowadays he hosts presidential candidates...) It was one of the more uncomfortable television interviews EVER.

I wonder if there's a video clip of it on Youtube. That would be great...

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you imagine Letterman interviewing Reed and Bukowski on the same night? I think NBC would've been scraping bits of Dave off the roof.

I guess Buk would like that guy

Reed died of a sudden heart attack during a break from filming Gladiator in Valletta, Malta on 2 May 1999. He was 61 years old and was reported to be heavily intoxicated at the time of his death. Racking up an $866 alcohol bill, Reed had reportedly drunk three bottles of Captain Morgan's rum, eight bottles of beer and numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whisky. He also beat five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm wrestling at a bar called "The Pub." (The owners have since added "Ollie's Last Pub" to the sign.[1]) Several of his scenes in Gladiator had to be completed using CGI techniques. His funeral was held in his home town Churchtown, County Cork, Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back