A Swedish factotum enters the fray (1 Viewer)

Hello!

This new member is a 25-year old man from Sweden. I prefer to be anonymous, but you can just call me by my nickname. Don't bother about the two dots - that's not even a Swedish letter, but a German one.

I joined this forum to ask a question. Just as when I open my mouth in real life, about half of the answers were sympathetic, and the other half ridicule. The question was real, by the way - not an attempt to draw cheap laughs (look how honest I am- Buke would have liked that!). And the ridicule really hurt my feelings, since I struggle with low self esteem and really hate the notion of being a laughing stock, even if just in a rather small internet forum (look what a pussy I am - Buke wouldn't have liked that).

Some of the people who managed the grandiose achievement of simultaneously answering my thread an not being an asshole, gave me the tip of presenting myself in this part of the forum. And why not, I thought - if not for me, then for the sake of satisfying the curiosity of those lovely folks. Anyway, I might even stick around a bit longer, and then it wouldn't hurt if you knew at least a bit about who you're dealing with.

So who am I? I have tried working, travelling, living away from home, dating and studying, but currently I live with mom and dad, unemployed and single. I don't really do anything worthwile on my spare time either. I work out a bit, read a lot, and chat on internet forums and communities even more.

As for my relationship with Buke, I can't really remember the moment I discovered him, or even in what book - but it was probably Women or Ham and Rye, who my older brother kept lying around the house. Those tattered tomes with a rather ugly pock-marked old man on the cover had never really caught my attention, at least not in a positive way, so my first contact with this idol-to-be of mine must have been a coincidence - maybe I couldn't find the book I really wanted to read on the loo quickly enough, or maybe I was just bored - but somewhere along the line I got stuck, and stuck for good.

So what do I love about "the old fucker", as Bono lovingly referred to him in a TV-show I once saw? I've actually gone through this in my head for quite some time before writing this, but I still can't really put my finger on it. I just feel good when I read his novels and short stories. I guess it has to do with accepting ones self, both to one self and others. We all have parts of us we don't really want to admit. Perhaps we like this really corny pop band, or have a crush on this really impopular girl, or maybe we've done something the consequenses of which we don't wan't to admit to ourselves or others. Bukowski doesn't seem to have this weakness. He accepts all his emotions, even to the point of writing them down and putting them on the shelves of bookshops.

Well, enough of the rambling. As much as I would want it, I am, in fact, not exactly Bukowski, so I'd better quit while I'm ahead.

All the best!

Hello!

Welcome!

A couple points;

Bono is an arrogant ass. Him calling Buk "the old Fucker" really makes my blood boil. Something about Bono seems disingenuous. It is like he feels cool for digging the writings of this mysterious misunderstood "Dirty Old Man". Like he is the only one in the know and his legions of fans need to be shown how literary he is..... Frankly, I'd like to punch
Bono and Frank Stallone in the nuts...

Buk is Buk and not Buke, although it certainly is pronounced Buke....

Again, welcome!

Bill

The ridicule weeds out the weak and exposes the trolls. You're still here, so you must not fall into either category. Hang in there. A lot of people get off to a rocky start and do just fine.

Welcome!

Nice fray-entering introduction, Jürgen! ;)

The TV show you saw is actually a documentary called "Born Into This" (2004). It's a great documentary and a great introduction to Bukowski. Unfortunately, the version on Swedish TV was missing about 30 min. I know, because I taped it from Swedish TV and I couldn't understand why everybody here in the forum said it was over 2 hours long, untill I got hold of the DVD myself. I hope you get a chance to watch the full documentary one day.

Ps. Bill is right! Buk is pronounced Buke, like in puke...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Jurgen. Nice introduction. I'm sure that most, if not all, of us are more than willing to forget your first post and accept you as a member who is here to learn and contribute, as I and most of us are. If I may, I'd say that mjp's words above are very telling. He created this site, and he rarely takes any prisoners in discussions here, but he has commended your perserverence, and those are meaningful words indeed.

I think the animosity to that first post was based on three things:

1. Looking for help without first introducing yourself
2. Bringing up a point that could be used by Buk-haters as fodder for ridicule
3. Mentioning that you would like to post the story elsewhere on the internet. That would likely lead to more widespread misunderstanding of a brilliant man who is already too largely misunderstood, mis-represented and hated by many who are just looking for more reasons to hate him.

As others have mentioned, we get some trolls here who are just looking to shoot us and Buk down. While we can take a joke, it's a bit tiresome to see these people crap on us and a writer we feel is so very important.

So, don't change your username; no need. You have a fresh slate, and use it to learn and contribute when you can. We'll be more than willing to help.

The ridicule weeds out the weak and exposes the trolls. You're still here, so you must not fall into either category. Hang in there. A lot of people get off to a rocky start and do just fine.

Welcome Jurgen, glad you stuck it out. You truly have a lot in common with some of us. Just hang around read as much of this as you can and you will be entertained. There are some very fine writers on this forum and it is like an education in here. I believe I crashed into the rocks a few times myself, but I have to struggle with the don't be an asshole rule.

Some of the people who managed the grandiose achievement of simultaneously answering my thread an not being an asshole,

you must be speaking of Father Luke. Yes, I'm sure of it. It couldn't possibly be me.:rolleyes:

Bono is an arrogant ass. Him calling Buk "the old Fucker" really makes my blood boil. Something about Bono seems disingenuous. It is like he feels cool for digging the writings of this mysterious misunderstood "Dirty Old Man". Like he is the only one in the know and his legions of fans need to be shown how literary he is..... Frankly, I'd like to punch Bono and Frank Stallone in the nuts...

Way to go Bill...
You've said it well for all of us.:D

welcome Jürgen Mutant.

Buk is Buk and not Buke, although it certainly is pronounced Buke....
Hello!

Thank you, both for the welcome and correcting the mis-spelling of Buk!

I don't know enough about Bono to comment on your comment on him. I love listening to U2 (before I start another uproar: It's the music that I love, not the lyrics) so I guess I'm a bit indoctrinated "pro Bono" (no pun inendended). But I certainly do get the feeling some times, that he does things just to be popular, and not to save the world at all.

Thank you. Nice looking site you've started.

Welcome!

Nice fray-entering introduction, Jürgen! ;)

The TV show you saw is actually a documentary called "Born Into This" (2004). It's a great documentary and a great introduction to Bukowski. Unfortunately, the version on Swedish TV was missing about 30 min. I know, because I taped it from Swedish TV and I couldn't understand why everybody here in the forum said it was over 2 hours long, untill I got hold of the DVD myself. I hope you get a chance to watch the full documentary one day.

Ps. Bill is right! Buk is pronounced Buke, like in puke...:D

Thank you! That's interesting about the documentary. I haven't seen it in a long time, and would certainly love to see the long version.

welcome mr mutant! and very nice intro by the way...

Thank you!

Welcome, Jurgen. Nice introduction. I'm sure that most, if not all, of us are more than willing to forget your first post and accept you as a member who is here to learn and contribute, as I and most of us are. If I may, I'd say that mjp's words above are very telling. He created this site, and he rarely takes any prisoners in discussions here, but he has commended your perserverence, and those are meaningful words indeed.

I think the animosity to that first post was based on three things:

1. Looking for help without first introducing yourself
2. Bringing up a point that could be used by Buk-haters as fodder for ridicule
3. Mentioning that you would like to post the story elsewhere on the internet. That would likely lead to more widespread misunderstanding of a brilliant man who is already too largely misunderstood, mis-represented and hated by many who are just looking for more reasons to hate him.

As others have mentioned, we get some trolls here who are just looking to shoot us and Buk down. While we can take a joke, it's a bit tiresome to see these people crap on us and a writer we feel is so very important.

So, don't change your username; no need. You have a fresh slate, and use it to learn and contribute when you can. We'll be more than willing to help.

Thank you for being big and giving a warm welcome to a guy you first thought made a fool out of himself. As for the points you stated, here's my take on them:

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
2. I thought that by posting it exactly as it is in the book, people would admire Buk for his ability to laugh at himself, rather than look down on him for making a mistake. Especially in Sweden, were Christian moralists are a tiny minority and people tend to, in my opinion, be less judgmental about questions of sexuality and drinking than in the States. But I may well be wrong about this.
3. Well, if I'm wrong about the point above, you'd be right about this point.

And I guess you could add another point:
4. My choice of words made the thread laughable.

I think that was a pretty cool introduction. Glad you decided to hang around.

Thank you!

Welcome Jurgen, glad you stuck it out. You truly have a lot in common with some of us. Just hang around read as much of this as you can and you will be entertained. There are some very fine writers on this forum and it is like an education in here. I believe I crashed into the rocks a few times myself, but I have to struggle with the don't be an asshole rule.

Thank you! I will likely crash into some more rocks myself as time goes by. Hopefully we'll sort that out as well.

you must be speaking of Father Luke. Yes, I'm sure of it. It couldn't possibly be me.:rolleyes:

I don't remember any names. For the sake of peace, let's not go back and find out.

glad you're still here.
I will call you JuMu.
welcome to the forum.

I don't mind that nickname. Thank you!

Way to go Bill...
You've said it well for all of us.:D

welcome Jürgen Mutant.

Thank you, Black Swan!

[...] I just feel good when I read his novels and short stories. [...]

that's reason enough.
go for the poems next and find an even bigger treasure (or equally as big, whatever).

ps:
i'm a U2-fan too (and ALSO for the lyrics) - but we sure are a rare crowd here.
anyway, i've never been attacked here for it. feel free to talk baby.

Hello Jurgen (or JuMu);
I don't think that it is a sin to like U2's music or their lyrics. I think that it is the pompous ass Bono that many of us dislike. U2 is not on my list of bands that I like, but that is just me and it has nothing to do with Bono; I just never really got into them.

Still, this is a forum with many, many active members and we do not all agree EVER.

Now if you said that Bono was a meek, unassuming man of the people, I might have to argue the point, but cannot insult someone for having a different taste in music. To do that would be odd. Much of the music that I like is not stuff that the masses like or can even stomach, so it would be a bit hypocritical to insult someone else's taste.

Still, I'm serious about punching Frank Stallone and Bono in the nuts.....

Best,
Bill

What'd you expect from a pomo mofo c-ro?

heh. yeah.
wait, what the fuck is c-ro?
are you making fun of the size of my penis? if so, that's not cool.
if you aren't, carry on. the size of my penis is just fine. ask my priest. although I'm an atheist, I'm not sure why my priest has to weigh in on this, but he insisted.

!!WELCOME!!!
I liked U2, especially the 'Boy/October' period, before Bono became a psychopathic jesus 'strapped to the cross syndrome-basket case' etc...
Thanks for your first post.
It actually got me to read it, which is saying a lot.

wait, what the fuck is c-ro?
I had to make chronic rhyme with pomo somehow.
the size of my penis is just fine. ask my priest. although I'm an atheist, I'm not sure why my priest has to weigh in on this, but he insisted.
I'll bet there are a lot of atheists with priests in their pasts who know the size of their penises...

Still, I'm serious about punching Frank Stallone and Bono in the nuts.....

What's wrong with castration? Don't you carry your steel, maa-an? ;)

Hey there Jürgen. Your intro here really made me think. What you wrote of yourself in the first half really reminded me of how I used to be a number of years ago. Self-esteem for shit. Taking anything percieved at ridicule personally and letting it completely fuck up my entire day. On and on. It's no way to live. Or have to live. Luckily, for some of us odd birds, there are the joys of modern chemistry. And, it's made tons of difference regarding that shit esteem thing in my life. And no, I'm not talking about booze or battery acid altough those can help.

I don't know what to add to that. Well, besides, Welcome. You're in good company here.

Welcome, Jurgen. I think if you hang around you'll find we're a nice bunch. Well, I write this as a newbie myself. They've been good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back