Absence of the Hero (1 Viewer)

No? - Well, we'll know when it's released through the forum anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've preordered my copy in hardcover. I'll... probably be able to afford it (April is the cruelest month after all).

Well, either they changed the cover to black and white (in old school City Lights tradition) or the review copies have a different cover. I assume that the review copies have a different cover, because this one is very pixel-y and crappy in real life.

absence.jpg

I've had a sip or two of Bombay Sapphire, so I can't list the contents right now. But the acknowledgements page says only; "to come." So if anyone around here is getting a big-up this time, we'll have to wait until April to find out.

12 page introduction (!) and comprehensive "sources" page. On a cursory flip through it looks like 272 pages of damn fine reading.

Mine came today as well. I'll probably start to read it tomorrow. It looks like there might be some real goodies in it.

Well, either they changed the cover to black and white (in old school City Lights tradition) or the review copies have a different cover. I assume that the review copies have a different cover, because this one is very pixel-y and crappy in real life.

I've had a sip or two of Bombay Sapphire, so I can't list the contents right now. But the acknowledgements page says only; "to come." So if anyone around here is getting a big-up this time, we'll have to wait until April to find out.

12 page introduction (!) and comprehensive "sources" page. On a cursory flip through it looks like 272 pages of damn fine reading.
Hopefully they stick with the blue toned cover. And a hearty fuck you to those of you who already have it.:)

well you should do us all a favor and list the table of contents. SINCE...not all of us will be getting advance copies. puh...puh...puhLEASE

• The Reason Behind Reason
  • Love, Love, Love
  • Cacoethes Scribendi
  • The Rapist's Story
  • 80 Airplanes Don't Put You In The Clear
  • Manifesto
  • Peace, Baby Is A Hard Sell
  • Examining My Peers
  • If I Could Only Be Asleep
  • The Old Pro
  • Review of Ginsburg/Zukofsky
  • Bukowski On Bukowski
  • Notes Of A Dirty Old Man
  • The Absence Of The Hero
  • Christ With Barbecue Sauce
  • Ah, Liberation, Liberty, Lillies On The Moon!
  • The Cat In The Closet
  • Sound And Passion
  • I Just Write Poetry So I Can Go To Bed With Girls
  • The House Of Horrors
  • Untitled Essay On d.a. levy
  • Henry Miller Lives In Pacific Palisades And I Live On Skid Row, Still Writing About Sex
  • A Forward To These Poems
  • The Outsider
  • Vern's Wife
  • He Beats His Women
  • Notes Of A Dirty Old Man: "Notes Of A Dirty Old Driver Of A Blue 1967 Volkswagen TRV 491"
  • The Big Dope Reading
  • East Hollywood: The New Paris
  • The Gambler
  • Ladies Man Of East Hollywood
  • The Bully
  • The Invader
  • Playing And Being The Poet

It looks like a fine volume. I recognize some of the titles. Thanks for posting the table of contents, chronic!

"The House of Horrors" essay in March Playboy

A heads-up for anyone interested: One of Bukowski's essays on writing entitled "The House of Horrors" from Absence of the Hero has just been published in the March issue of Playboy.
Sort of cool to finally have Buk in the American issue, since he had appeared frequently in the German and French ones. It's unfortunate however that it appears in the same issue as the rantings of this John Mayer fellow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back