all things baseball. if you swing that way (1 Viewer)

Thanks for posting that, hooch. I heard about the catch/perfect game on sports radio driving home this evening, and I meant to find it. Great catch, and what a time to do it. Wise will be eating a free steak tonight!

FUCK !!!

Pujols is not in the line-up. What did I say about taking this shit for granted ?

Is it premature congratulations to say "nice victory Hooch" ?

---

Well, with just the 5th man to bat, we are leading 2-0.

So, I'll hold the concession speech for now.

Thanks for posting that, hooch. I heard about the catch/perfect game...

I should have been there. Yesterday I was thinking "Haven't seen Buehrle pitch in a while...haven't been to Sox Park this year....I have the day off....I should go !" I may never forgive myself...:mad:

Is anyone watching this game ? Have you noticed the young couple sitting behind home plate ? They are just chowing down and chugging beer like nobody's business. It's funny to watch, though I do my share of damage at the ballpark too. The toll so far: A box of popcorn, an order of nachos, and at least 4 beers - Coronas for him, Budweiser for her.

Now he has started in on a hot dog ! I'll keep everybody posted on this compelling action as it happens....

Good point, Purple Stickpin.

this one might take awhile. second rain delay. but the game is now official, so I'm predicting another Nats loss.

and if you were going to rest the best hitter in baseball (Pujols), what team would you rest him against? correct. the Nats.

oi vey.

Yes - and the fact that the Nats had a Triple-AAA call-up starting in place of Zimmerman was a good reason, also. Theoretically, the rest of the line-up didn't need Pujols.

Shit, if they call this one official, the Nats indeed have found a new way to lose (as you predicted). Trail through five innings, score a run in the sixth to make it 4-1, not an insurmountable deficit, and then BOOM - here comes Mother Nature to say, "Go home, boys."

I know that re-scheduling has become exceedingly difficult in this day and age (required days off; home vs away, travel, all that crap) but seriously: play a full 9. Find a way to change the 5 1/2 inning rule and play the full game.

I say go back to a 154-game schedule; then you'll have time to do it. Not to mention fewer injuries. Screw the network contracts. Do it right. And, as much as it hurts my team, institute a salary cap. I want to see KC or the Orioles, Pittsburgh and the Reds in a pennant race again.

Sorry hooch, no matter what I wish for, the Nats won't be there. But it's very nostalgic; just like the Washington Senators of '69-70. So, regail in that! ;)

gear_detroit_cap_full.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the "D" has been a fixture since 1934. And very little experimentation with the uniforms over the years - basically Navy Blue and White, with a Navy Blue/Grey combo and a splash of Orange for their road uniforms.

(What the hell - am I writing for Glamour ? Back to baseball.....)

The Cardinals traded for Matt Holliday this morning. He flew to Philadelphia, joined the team, got the start and went 4-for-5 with an RBI. That's called being a professional hitter. I hope someone bought him a cheese-steak sandwich afterwards.

Yeah, Holliday is a good pick-up. Not a great hitter, but a very good OF. I think Coors Field had a great deal to do with his hitting w/ the Rockies, but still, his new digs will likely bring out the best in him.

What Holliday is is a consistent hitter. Not a HR champ, but a steady .300 hitter who can protect Pujols even better than Ludwick, who runs hot and cold.

Despite Holliday's slow start this year, the change of scenery will do wonders and he should be back in form soon.

Being a Rockie obviously helped his power numbers. He has never kept that pace on the road or with another team. But his eye is good and he's a veteran. He should do well back in NL.

Go nats !

She-e-e-i-t ! Look who's making some noise lately - The Washington Nationals.

Last night they stomped the Brewers 14-6 and tonight they are leading them 5-1 after five innings. Love getting the help in making the NL Central a two-team race and I'm so happy I could dance with this guy :
3597202461_1996821156.jpg

ssshhhh! you'll wake up the Brewers! let them sleep.

and fair warning, Screech has two left feet.

Nats are 11-4 in the month of August. Exactly what kind of steroids are you giving them, Hooch ? Please continue the dosing and then stop after 8/27 when you play the Cards. Thank you.

Just heard Cubs were postponed today, so they have more time to reflect upon their suckiness. I think Pinella might just walk after this year. He's not the same guy he was just two years ago. Kind of sad, really. He's a bright baseball mind who has probably just had enough of trying to motivate millionaire crybabies.

I remember an old anecdote where someone was razzing Mantle about hitting a baseball while drunk. "How can you do it, when you're so crocked you're seeing three balls coming over the plate ?" He replied, "That's easy. You just swing for the one in the middle."

OK, this is it. Tomorrow the 2009 season wraps up.

Longest hitting streak in NL: Ryan Zimmerman of the Washington Nationals with 30.
And hopefully the signing of Strasburg works out and turns around the franchise.

Very compelling finishes to the AL Central and NL West. Classic nail-biters that will affect post-season match-ups. As I type this, Dodgers lead the Rockies 5-0 in the 8th and look to clinch the division. If they do, the Cardinals will face them, with L.A. holding the home field advantage.

Tigers must count on the KC Royals to defeat the Twins in order to clinch the AL Central division. Yeah...umm.. best of luck there. Possible one-game elimination play-off between Twins and Tigers in Minnesota if not. (Also last season in the dome for the Twins).

Looking forward to October....

well, I just listened to the Nats win their last game in 15 innings. finished the season with a 7 game winning streak.

I can't wait till spring.

There's always hope. Especially in the most unpredictable of games.

Today's lucky number is 163, by the way. Tigers vs. Twins in a rare extra regular season game to determine who wins the AL Central. Lucky lottery prediction ? You heard it here first...

I'd say it's time for the Dodgers to take it. Though they pissed me off Saturday. I was on my way to the Johnny Ramone funeral/celebration and wanted to get there early. Well, the thousands of dodger fans packing the 10, 60, 5, 101, ceaser chavez ave, and sunset blvd caused me to get there 2hours after I wanted to! Dammit....

But I still say GO DODGERS...finally so I can re-live the joy I had in my family's garage watching them win in 1988!

P.S. But meeting Rose Mcgowan who I've had a crush on since the first time I saw her, maybe me forget all about that damn traffic delay.

Jesus, that Twins-Tigers thing last night was crazy. The 54,000 got their money's worth. Let's hope they can end this business in the Bronx quickly.

I remember an old anecdote where someone was razzing Mantle about hitting a baseball while drunk. "How can you do it, when you're so crocked you're seeing three balls coming over the plate ?" He replied, "That's easy. You just swing for the one in the middle."

The Mickey Mantle stuff got me thinking about Jim Bouton's book Ball Four. I read it around 1971. Eye-opener for a 14 year old. Almost a cottage industry of books after that because Bouton got chased out of the bigs for writing things like Mantle drank too much affecting his play. You just didn't do that in the early 1970s.

Anyway, a fun book. Bouton on .

In the immortal words of pitcher Gary "ding-dong" Bell, "smoke 'em inside." Maybe Manager Joe Schultz said it best though, "shitfuck, fuckshit".

Well, nervas your Dodgers got the best of my Cards tonight, that's for sure. Carpenter clearly did not have his best stuff. Torre avoided pitching to Pujols when needed. And how many runners were stranded by the Redbirds ? Though the Dodgers stranded their share, at least they were hitting the ball out of the infield. And I'm tempted to hop on a plane, go to L.A., track down LaRussa and puncture him repeatedly with unsanitized salad forks for using Ankiel in that final at-bat of the game. Julio Lugo or Jason LaRue would NOT have stood there looking at Strike 3.

But tomorrow is another day...

Yeah, I actually did not watch as much of the game as I wanted only because my beloved Lakers were playing their first pre-season game. I wanted to see how Artest fit in etc. I was surprised at how much some the starters played, they looked good.

The Dodgers looked good too. I've always liked Weaver and thought he did a fine job. Stranded, yeah, the worst was Thome striking out with the bases loaded. That pitch too, it was right down the middle and the way he swung I though't he'd hit it all the way into downtown, but I guess the pitch was just a tad too fast!

Today I am dyeing my soul-patch a bright cardinal red. It will provide the extra magic needed to win at Chavez Ravine tonight. And probably score me all kinds of hot supermodels, too. Sweet...

ok, here are my predictions:

ALDS

Yankees over Twins
Red Sox over Angels

NLDS

Cards over Dodgers
Phils over Rockies

ALCS

Yankees over Red Sox

NLCS

Phillies over Cards

WS

Yankees over Phils
(BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!)

(but I'm rooting for the Cards in the NL, Sox in the AL, and the Sox to take it all.)

number6horse, your red soul patch was no match for....

dodgerslash.jpg

I have to say that pop fly error and the subsequent outcome had to be heartbreaking for Card's fans.

Dude, I felt like jumping off the top of the Arch. But I would have had to wait in line...

One last chance Saturday. And I actually never did get time to color my soul patch. But I sure as hell am tomorrow

I was at the game, sitting down the left field line just past third base. It was a perfect view for the Holliday error. To me, it looked like the ball had a strange trajectory and ended up carrying a bit more than it originally looked like it would. Of course, that's easy for me to say now.

I'm glad it happened, but that was a real kick in the jimmy for Cards fans. number6horse, I thought about you and felt bad... but just for a second. ;)

Then I high-fived every person I passed as I walked out to the parking lot.

The worst thing about this is the fact that LaRussa and Duncan will probably leave in the off-season. To join the Reds and reunite with GM Walt Jocketty. It's the end of an era in St. Louis. But I'm grateful for 8 playoff appearances in 14 seasons. It's been a hell of a ride.

GO DODGERS !

The Red Sox had no chance going into this. Pitching in question, but hitting really in question. All they had was defense, and that was in question. Hmmm. Always good to play for second place. And they did.

So, it's on to the Patriots. And they squandered a lead in Denver, only to lose in overtime. Oh bugger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back