all things baseball. if you swing that way (1 Viewer)

May 8, 1966, Twins vs. Red Sox (double header!) at the old Metropolitan Stadium. Going to see Harmon Killebrew and Carl Yastrzemski. Four home runs that day, only one by a Twin. Yes, those are box seat tickets in my weird little hands, bitch!

twins.jpg

Nothing to do with baseball in this century, but I was going through a box of old pictures, so...

Sure it has to do with baseball in this century ! You saw a real-live game in person at a young age and it has carried over to some extent. Maybe you don't check the box scores every day in the summer, but I'm guessing when you do, it's The Twins right ? The game and the way young people experience it has changed dramatically but there's nothing like a trip to the ballpark itself. It stays with you, I think.

Tragically, cardigans like that have stayed behind in 1966. I want Ken Burns to do a documentary on that.

I never thought I'd be sitting here rooting for the Yankees and Phillies. But I am. Thank jeebus i'm on the 2nd bottle of wine.

Your rooting for the Yankees is far worse than any confession of reading Danielle Steel and/or being a sweet-natured fag. I hope your hangover is horrible. And I've nothing against Danielle Steel readers or sweet-natured fags. I just wish the worse for Yankee root-tooters.

well, I wanted the Red Sox and Cardinals in the post season. Yankees had to beat the Rays, and the Phils had to beat the Braves for that to happen.

well, I wanted the Red Sox and Cardinals in the post season. Yankees had to beat the Rays, and the Phils had to beat the Braves for that to happen.
Huh ? The Cardinals ARE in the post-season - defeating the Phillies in 5 games playing their hearts out against the Phillies.

mjp - I don't see any elbow patches (fake leather/polyester/whatever-our-parents-dressed-us-in-back-then) on Mr. Cobain's sleeves. Not the same sweater at all. Elbow patches change everything on a garment. C'mon - get with the haute couture and coup de grace and stuff.

You mean the sports team that plays home games in your area.

Pro sports was better when they were all underpaid slaves who lived in the town they played in. When you know the left fielder could buy a house for everyone in the stands and still have enough money left over to buy himself a much bigger house, pro sports loses some of its communal community spirit.

I look forward to the day when they drop the facade and just name the teams after brands or wealthy people. When we have a world series pitting the Ivanka Trump Shapewears against the Unilever I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!s.

Well, I was just quoting a t-shirt from The Onion's Sports Section but you raise a good point. Obscene amounts of money - like those paid to MLB players - do nothing to help the game's popularity. Plus jackasses like Gary Sheffield will publicly admit they won't push themselves and give it all they've got unless they're paid top dollar. What would be wrong with following pro football's model with a salary cap and contracts that are not 100% guaranteed ? The more evenly matched these teams are with money and talent, the better the product.

it's funny, while i watched the show, Clemente's arm reminded me of Ellis Valentine who played for the Expos in the late '70s. nowhere near Clemente's level, but as far as throwing arms, they were very close. and I hadn't thought about Valentine in a while. sometimes we just need a gentle reminder.

ha!

but given his brush ins with the law and sexual assault allegations, they might want to skip that marketing opportunity....

The knuckleballer R.A. Dickey (NY Mets) has written a memoir. Huh, you say ?

But it might actually be a good read.

Sports Illustrated provides some background and an excerpt here

He's made some smart business moves in the past. Bought a small ownership share of The Lakers and sold it at a profit - I would assume - after they won a couple of championships. His movie theatres seem to be doing well. Here in Chicago, local business writers always praise him for opening theatres in under-served communities that other chains were afraid of. Don't know if they're huge moneymakers but they're still in business. He seems to have good advisors and the good sense to listen to them. Even though he's "only" a money-source and front man, who wouldn't love to have Magic as the PR guy/frontman for their company ?

I hope this works out to the point where the Dodgers win several NLDS titles.... only to lose to The Cardinals in the NLCS.

ZING !

I think they'll both be respectable this year. The Brewers still have the Grienke/Gallardo/Markum trio in the rotation plus a good closer. Ricky Weeks, Ryan Braun etc., will keep things interesting as always. The Cards seem to show no signs of faltering despite losing LaRussa and Pujols. But, it's early.... baseball is full of surprises.

The 10 Most Expensive Beers In Baseball

I went to the Cards vs. Cubs game at Wrigley Field Tuesday night. My ticket was free, so I offered to buy the first round of beers for myself and two friends. It was $22.50 for two Beck's and a Red Stripe. The Beck's were both 16 oz. and I believe the Red Stripe was too. Kinda crazy but when the owners pay out huge salaries, the fans have to pony up too. Or stay home to watch it on TV and drink a case of beer for that kind of money.

But I think what will finally discourage me from going to Wrigley is all the "upgrades" that the new regime is adding. The worst, in my opinion, is the electronic scoreboard in right field that shows commercials between innings. I don't mind those things at Sox Park or Miller Field or any newer ballpark. And I get it that they produce much-needed revenue. But soon, Wrigley Field won't be what it used to be. And I may be a big crybaby for whining about it, but there it is.

At Miller Park a 12 ounce beer costs 5.50. The beer barely has to travel at all, and the park is named after it, and its still that expensive.

Shit, that's cheap beer. We went to see Cirque du Soleil Iris a few months ago, and a beer (one), a bottled water and a small fistful of popcorn was $22.50.

Great show though. If your baseball team sucks and you're looking for something to do, you might want to check it out.

gbsupbowl - Yeah, the article mentioned similar circumstances in St. Louis. I suppose there is some kind of justification in their minds, though I would treat the beer price as a loss-leader, secondary to the naming rights. (Please note that I received my MBA degree from Phoenix University's Night School Program "...Now with Netscape Navigator !"

mjp - Sounds like Cirque du Soleil is worse than your average movie theatre. To me, the television promotions for their shows kind of discouraged me from wanting to see them live. Somehow, everything looked too "Vegas" or something. But I'm guessing that, like most theatrical productions, it really pops live and in-person. What about the music - live or pre-recorded ?

Please note that I received my MBA degree from Phoenix University's Night School Program "...Now with Netscape Navigator!"
Another strong contender for post of the year.

Cirque du Soleil is weird. I'm sure if I was judging it by a TV ad or seeing a clip somewhere I would never go, because it does look cheesy, doesn't it. It certainly doesn't look like my kind of entertainment.

But I kind of got hooked into them before I had a chance to form any misconceptions. When they first came to America they used to set up a tent in the parking lot at the Santa Monica pier. I lived in Venice and we would ride our bikes past the tent and one day we just stopped, locked up the bikes and bought tickets. And I have to say, those fuckers are pretty amazing.

In the years since I've seen every show that's come through Los Angeles or Long Beach (and a few in Las Vegas) and never been disappointed. Even though every show is a variation on the same general group of acrobatic stunts and over the top theatrics, they're all different enough to keep me coming back. All I can tell you is you've never seen anything quite like it, so it's worth a shot. Even if it looks like cheese from the outside, they will get to you somehow.

The music is all performed live. I figured at some point they would go to recorded music since they have a thousand shows running at any given moment, but they haven't. I don't think they could anyway, because if the performers miss a queue or fall or otherwise fuck up something, the musicians have to adapt to that and stretch out the section. Danny Elfman did the music for Iris (which was a strike against the show to me), but it still sounded like Cirque music to me. Iris may be the best Cirque show I've ever seen, and we avoided it for a long time because the theme (old Hollywood) looked corny. "What can they do around that? Bah." But I got a deal on some front row seats, so we went and it was, dare I say, incredible.

The least enjoyable Cirque show we've seen was the one I looked forward to the most; Love, the Beatles-themed show in Las Vegas. I wouldn't recommend that one to anyone, at least not as their fist taste of Cirque. But then again, I know a guy who has seen it three times and intends to see it again. So what do I know.

i saw the winter one for kids (can't remember the title) in new york and it was great.

they make me nervous though, cause i'm always anticipating something fucking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back