Another Fun Inscription II - Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts (1 Viewer)

This is from my copy of Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts. It's inscribed to John Martin and dated 1966. It's not as creative as some of the other inscriptions, but it's still interesting from an association standpoint.

Confessions 1.jpg Confessions 2.jpg

nymark are you somehow related to the Martins ??

That is too cool, thank you. My dyslexic eyes saw your post as Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beats.

my little joke in my own little world.

nymark are you somehow related to the Martins

Actually, it's a fun story. Martin helped finance his move from L.A. up to Santa Barbara by selling several boxes full of books.

Unbeknownst to him, a few of Bukowski's early chapbooks that were inscribed to him were included in one of those boxes! I bought them from another collector many, many years ago who got them from a dealer. Eventually I told John that I had these books. He said he always wondered what happened to them and now he knows!

Hop over to www.collectingbukowski.com and take a look at the copy of IT CATCHES MY HEART inscribed to Martin. That's my favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Su Buk is the beast in the title! That's funny. - Thanks, Nymark!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Too bad for Martin, hooray for collectors.

I was actually worried about revealing that I had these books in my collection to him. I thought there was an outside chance he would try to reclaim them, since he obviously never meant to sell them in the first place. To the contrary, he was happy to hear that they are safe in a collection, as opposed to being batted around on the open market like slabs of meat at a cattle auction and finally residing with someone who has the most money, but not necessarily the proper depth of appreciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back