Another Fun Inscription III - Poems Written Before Jumping Out an 8 Story Window (1 Viewer)

This my copy of Poems Written Before Jumping Out an 8 Story Window. It's inscribed in the month of publication, but I don't recognize the name in the inscription. Do any of you? Second pic is a illustration to go along with the inscription and the third pic is a signed typo correction.

poems_inscription.jpg poems_illustration.jpg poems_typo.jpg

...I don't recognize the name in the inscription. Do any of you?
Ah, Harry Kaakis, renowned haberdasher and patron of the arts. He invented, ironically, "Hairy Khakis," a short-lived fad pant popular during the cocaine and disco heyday of the 1970's. He also invented clear plastic panties during the same period, but they failed to become popular due to widespread complaints of fogging.

Harry used to bring Bukowski cat food and White Castle hamburgers imported from Pennsylvania. Bukowski wrote many poems about how he hated the cold, three day old hamburgers, but ate them anyway because Harry was a collector, and would pay him $30 a pair for his worn socks, which Harry pounded into pulp and used to make paper on which he printed, via hand made silkscreens, rare Bukowski broadsides such as Soft Tomatoes Dance On The Spine Of My Cotton-Mouthed Soul, and Spitball Curses For A Manic Populace. Both printed in a limitation of three, three of which weren't for sale.

Harry died in Malibu in 1986, the victim of a freak dune buggy accident involving Gary Busey and Demi Moore. Busey was arrested but Moore's handlers had all charges against her dropped in exchange for two dozen signed photos and six blow jobs, but her attorneys would never disclose who the blow jobs were performed upon, or whether the same deal was offered to Busey, though reason and history dictate that he would have surely accepted such an offer were it proposed.

His legacy is that of a fine dandy, a bon vivant and sinister serial pedophile, but to Bukowski fans, Kaakis will forever be known as the man who ate an entire barbequed horse in Bukowski's famous City Lights book, The Man Who Ate An Entire Barbequed Horse And Other Stories.

Glad I could shed some light on this one. If anyone tells you any differently, they are lying bastards who you shouldn't pay any attention too.

That is certainly one of the more entertaining posts in the short, albeit glorious history of buk.net. Jambala-ya indeed. Could you e-mail me some of your pain meds, please?

that poem from the typo page is great i recognize it from an audio cd. don't remember seeing it in print which leads to my question - not being a writer or familiar with forms or styles or whatever, does anyone know how bukowski developed or decided how to lay the words out on the page like that- besides the words themselves there's such a visual aesthetic i wondered if he followed any already established way of placing the words or was it just intuitive?

Despite the brilliance of the drawing, mjp's two posts far outshine anything I've seen yet today (though I did just wake up).

And the typo correction? Very nice.

that poem from the typo page is great i recognize it from an audio cd. don't remember seeing it in print which leads to my question - not being a writer or familiar with forms or styles or whatever, does anyone know how bukowski developed or decided how to lay the words out on the page like that- besides the words themselves there's such a visual aesthetic i wondered if he followed any already established way of placing the words or was it just intuitive?

That is a powerful poem and I also wonder if the layout has something to do with that.

I wonder if Buk was familiar with this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stéphane_Mallarmé

Users who are viewing this thread

Back