Any comic book collectors/readers here? (1 Viewer)

Yes, and it's a great looking hard cover book too. Very nicely made.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading a book called Kalooki Nights by Howard Jacobson, and in it, the main character Max Glickman is a comic illustrator. about half way through the book, Max talks about a comic, Master Race by Bernie Krigstein. he describes it so well, I decided to go online and see if it was a real comic, or just invented for the novel. turns out it's real, and it's a humdinger. have a look for yourself (scroll down a bit).

keep in mind this comic was done in 1955. revolutionary, I would say.

I've been reading Arne Duck comics lately, after having met his creator, Swedish Charlie Christensen, recently at a comic book convention in Norway.
Arne is hard drinking, smoking, jobless poet, sorta like Buk, who comments on local and international politics, social phenomenons, etc. It's a satirical strip.

ArneAnd-4.jpg ArneAnd-3.jpg

There's eight albums so far, but I'm not sure they've been translated into English yet, although there are a few panels with English text like the ones I posted.
You could ask at Arne Duck,s Facebook page (called, Arne Anka). I'm sure you'll get an answer (At least there's be lots of strips there to look at).

ArneAnd-30.jpg
Arne-Banner.gif

Yes, he does, although Howard seems to look a bit more portly. He's often been compared to Howard and even to Bukowski, which is obvious, of course, since he has some of the same traits on top of being a poet too.

Anybody see the pilot of "The Walking Dead" TV-series last sunday?
Not bad, actually.

I used to collect DC's House of Mystery...
I remember really getting into it, tearing out the back page
(then re-buying that comic to have that back page; should have known then that I would become a 'sick' collector :>)
to order back issues, etc.
Still look for missing issues in my collection of almost 250+ (I think)
of a 321 run.
Then Elvira came and tried to renew interest,
but only fucked it all up, especially with a different artist.

Anyone have some House of Mysteries?

zoom, have you been reading the current House of Mystery series? It's really good. And actually gets better with every issue. I think there are three trades out right now. With a fourth one forthcoming.

The only issue I have from the first series is #292. And I bought that because it's Marc Silvestri's very first published work.

zoom, have you been reading the current House of Mystery series? It's really good. And actually gets better with every issue.

Nah, I don't really do comics so much any more, but thanks for the info.

I've been actually thinking about finding the remainders that I miss so I could have a full run to offer on e-bay, but then I found about the comic ratings, etc.

Anybody see the pilot of "The Walking Dead" TV-series last sunday?
Not bad, actually.

Finally watched this and looks like one to stick around for. Two bitten off thumbs up! :D Had a minor issue with the beginning but perhaps too ticky-tacky to relate via post. Love the scene when the main character arrives in Atlanta and all seems relatively well and good until he turns that corner.

Nah, I don't really do comics so much any more, but thanks for the info.

I've been actually thinking about finding the remainders that I miss so I could have a full run to offer on e-bay, but then I found about the comic ratings, etc.

Like the full runs, do ya? Wish ya luck. Especially with those early issues. They can't be cheap. But even if you have the beginning of Joe Orlando's edited run and on, it should still fetch a collector's eye. Those were great issues. Nice early Wrightson work.

I have a full run of Warlord that I might think of selling sometime. Replete with annuals and the First Issue Special. Most of the run is signed by Mike Grell and a few other artists. Not quite ready to let it go, but I find myself thinking of the possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back