"Are Books Dead?" (1 Viewer)

Clueless as I am, I think I can probably find those. Lots of territory under my prodigious nose, so I'll get an early start. ("To bed, gentlemen, for we rise at dawn ...")

("...or 9:30-ish.")

there will always be multiple markets and multiple products to serve those markets.
What a wise man!

I spent the entire three day weekend prepping a few books for tablet reading and revamping my web site as well. It seemed to be a successful - if painful - exercise, until this morning, when Amazon sent me an email asking me to prove I had the right to republish my first book.

Dunno how that's going to pan out. But the same book is on Smashwords in Kindle format anyway, so whatever, as Obama said to Romney (then under his breath, while he was still shaking Romney's hand, Obama said, "And by the way, fuck you and fuck Joseph Smith...in the mouth, nigga!" which made Romney so furious that he accidentally said "darn," but he said it in the same idiot goober monotone he uses for everything, so no one paid any attention).

I don't know what the purpose of this post is.

Look, feet!

feet.jpg

Mr. Phillips wishes to indemnify himself against claims of copyright infringement for the "CHANCE PRESS" and "BOTTLE OF SMOKE PRESS" "logos" employed on the above-mentioned Internet web site.

Equitable indemnity claims are almost reflexively asserted. However, infringers under either the Copyright Act or the Lanham Act may not assert equitable indemnity claims. Paraphrasing John Wooden, infringement is a mistake, but an infringer's demand for equitable indemnity is doomed to failure. Need I remind all of you that the Supreme Court held that federal courts may fashion federal common law to supplement a statutory scheme only where a federal rule is necessary to protect uniquely federal interests, or in matters dominated by strong federal concerns, such as admiralty.

Translated to language you monkeys can understand; you ain't gettin' shit for your logos.

Just sell my books and I'm happy, beyotch! I'll have bospress' attorney tear up his cease and desist, which was written in finger paint anyway...

Plus, I stole your great photo of the Athenaeum set to use on my website, so we may have to swap C&D demands....

Sweet website, by the way.

Best,

Bill

My son lives in Asia and as a result has to keep hauling specialized books to Asia with each visit.
I'd like to buy him an ebook reader as a B-day gift.
Can you get anything you like as an e book? Are lists of books available limited to a certain type of literature?
In an attempt to save time and errors, could someone tell me what is the best ebook reader?
What is the difference between a tablet and kindle? Do all tablets have an e-book reader built-in?
What is the best one to buy?

Last edited:
all interesting questions, Black. I too don't know shit about ebook-readers and would appreciate a short briefing about the key-knowledge one should have. So, thanks for asking.

My son lives in Asia and as a result has to keep hauling specialized books to Asia with each visit.
I'd like to buy him an ebook reader as a B-day gift.
Can you get anything you like as an e book? Are lists of books available limited to a certain type of literature?
In an attempt to save time and errors, could someone tell me what is the best ebook reader?
What is the difference between a tablet and kindle? Do all tablets have an e-book reader built-in?
What is the best one to buy?
I know that Skygazer off here has a reader and she likes it so you could ask her advice. I think a main issue with them is that some of the versions of books available are a bit shit. I.e. the formatting is poor or they contain errors in the text etc.

I don't know about all tablets, but you can download the Kindle app for an Android tablet. Using the app is just like using a Kindle reader.

The difference between a reader like Kindle and an tablet is kind of night and day. A Kindle is like an old cell phone. You can make a call and maybe take a blurry little picture. It's made to do one thing (they do other things, but they don't do them very well). A tablet is more like a new smart phone (do they still call them "smart phones," or are they just phones?). You can make a call, take a picture, make a movie, write a novel, download a million apps, read bukowskiforum.com...almost anything you can do on a computer.

A reader is going to cost less than a tablet, but the prices are getting closer every day.

As for which is better, it depends on how gadgety someone is. If you just want to read, the Kindle is pretty cool. I'll say though, we have a Kindle and a Nexus tablet, and since we got the tablet I haven't even turned the Kindle on.

I have a Kindle Fire that I haven't used since I upgraded to a "real" smart phone (HTC One). Justine has the Kindle Paperwhite, and she likes it a lot. It still uses the "e-ink" screen, which is supposed to look more natural than a tablet display. You can also see the screen in bright sunlight (great for reading in the park), and there's much less eye strain than with a tablet display, even the fancy retina displays on an iPad. As MJP said, the Paperwhite isn't meant to be a tablet, since you can't run apps, browse the internet, etc on them. As dedicated reading devices, however, they're the best option IMO.

yah i would rep for the paper-white kindle.

i have an ipod, laptop, android AND a paper-white. i know the current obsession is to have one thing that does everything, but that's not really how i roll. i buy all my e-books from amazon, and since i'm reading a lot of trash lately i have a subscription to 'kindle unlimited' which is $10 a month.

i definitely think the paper-white is best if you do a lot of reading - i was concerned about the original kindle fire i had, since i already spend a lot of time looking at my computer screen.

thank you guys for the info.
My son has a phone and a computer and other gadgets. I'll most likely get the paper-white kindle like Justine's. He really needs a reader.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back