are there any non-bukowski black sparrow books you like? (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
i think i'm in the minority, as there are quite a few.

just off the top of my head, 'head of a sad angel' by alfred chester, 'hawaiian cowboys' by john yau, 'weep not my wanton' by maggie dubris, 'midnight mass' by paul bowles, 'collected stories' by paul bowles, 'yesterday and today' by larbi layachi, and 'proud beggars' by albert cossery. those are the ones in my collection at least. am i the only one?

All the Fante books.

I'm interested in Mohammed Mrabet too...though I don't have any yet. "Love with a Few Hairs" is ordered--but that's a City Lights book.

just off the top of my head, 'head of a sad angel' by alfred chester, 'hawaiian cowboys' by john yau, 'weep not my wanton' by maggie dubris, 'midnight mass' by paul bowles, 'collected stories' by paul bowles, 'yesterday and today' by larbi layachi, and 'proud beggars' by albert cossery. those are the ones in my collection at least. am i the only one?
I haven't read Paul Bowles, but I've heard of him mostly through Burroughs letters. Seems like an interesting character.

I have a Wanda Coleman poetry collection, Charles Reznikoff as well. Lyn Lifshin has one collection on BSP that I have. In one second hand book store I see a lot of Diane Wakoski but I've never had the urge to buy.

mohammed mrabet is pretty good, but i like larbi layachi's stuff better (if we're comparing paul bowles's moroccan houseboys). five eyes is a good collection as well, if you're interested in those authors.

the maggie dubris book is my favorite of all the ones i listed above.

I like Mohammed Mrabet, but haven't seen his BSP editions. Paul Bowles is one I've read in BSP. I enjoyed Diane Wakoski's early books from Black Sparrow. Haven't read her later stuff. It has been said (long ago) that she was one of three poets in America who could make a living strictly from writing. Bukowski was one and I forget the third -- maybe Ginsberg?

image.jpg

every seven years. i bet you guys can't wait to see what i like in 2021.

the funny thing is that i didn't remember starting the one from last fall until it was bumped a few days ago. i did remember starting the one from a long time ago. i must be cracking up.

thanks for these threads and recommendations, i like having another reason to head to the library and dig some new voices

I enjoyed Diane Wakoski's early books from Black Sparrow. Haven't read her later stuff. It has been said (long ago) that she was one of three poets in America who could make a living strictly from writing. Bukowski was one and I forget the third -- maybe Ginsberg?

wakowski didnt do it for me, but good for her for makin it

I just sold a bunch of Lucia Berlin BSP first edition hardcovers on Ebay for $10 apiece. Looks like I should have waited a week longer. She is getting a lot of attention lately...

Bill

I've just checked my kindle and that's on it!:) not sure when it arrived, I've had my nose stuck in a real book (American Prometheus:The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer and it's not wee) soon as I'm done, I'll get started, looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back