Article: Why We Can Stop Reading Charles Bukowski by Matt Reimann (1 Viewer)

I stumbled upon this article on Buk:

https://blog.bookstellyouwhy.com/why-we-can-stop-reading-charles-bukowski

This passage particularly bothers me:
"And in this respect, there are many stronger writers, of superior artistry, perspective, depth, and temperament that beat Bukowski at his own game. Here, I propose a list of alternatives that our reading time could be better dedicated to..."

Of course, there's validity in comparing/contrasting writers, impartially and thoughtfully, but this is... painfully obviously not that.

it's funny and sad when someone puts so much thought into something that showcases
how shallow they are.

find something else to do - and i want my 5 minutes back that i wasted reading that.

When I first glanced at this I saw it as Why We Can't Stop Reading Bukowski. I think that's the reality for his true fans who love his writing and can get past (or beyond) the myths.

there are many stronger writers, of superior artistry, perspective, depth, and temperament that beat Bukowski at his own game.

As if his writing was a game and not a need, as if any authentic writing is not a need.

It’s been six years since Matt Reimann poasted that insipid piece, on Bukowski’s birthday.

Let the record show that people are still reading Bukowski. I don’t believe that the same is true of Matt Reimann.

Cheers.

IMG_6761.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back