ATTN: letterpressers who want to talk about letterpressing (1 Viewer)

well, justine, just let us know.
send up flares.
or smoke signals.
or, you know, you could use a computer.
I'm old school. smoke signals is how I roll.

i have big ideas.... bigger than what i think we'll actually be able to put into practice. see, here's how it works- justine is learning how to letterpress, and i need to learn how to bind books... but i think a really cool project would be a book called "back alley" with poems from all of the regulars. but don't get excited, guys. first, rubyred needs a visa. then i need to come up with the scratch to take the classes i need to take. THEN, we can start up the press ("Chance Press"). the first publication was my chapbook that some of you have. the second publication was an extremely limited edition holograph broadside (i love making this shit up). i don't know what comes next.

he thinks he's the boss of me.

the next publication will be jordan's collected poems. all letterpress printed by me.

Hi,
I love the ideas that you two have. Good luck with it. I just did my first hardbound book. It is a previously unpublished letter from Ginsberg to Kerouac edited by Bill Morgan. I am not the publisher, only the printer. The books were bound in hand painted pastepaper covers by Wallflowers Press in Newark, DE, but I spent enough time helping with this that I now know how to make hardbound books!

hb1.jpg

hb2.jpg

I'm sure that you can do it.

Now to work on my first Hardback BoSP release!

Bill

Bill

bill, those are stunning - each one has a unique cover?

Thanks! Yes, each one is unique. I will post the info on the price here once I confirm it. I will be selling a few, but we still need to get the signature sheet signed by all 5 people involved in this. It should be ready in about 10 days to ship. I expect that the publisher will sell out of these very, very quickly.

BIll

OF COURSE jordan and i will be seeking our first submissions from you guys (and dave, and any of the other regulars here who are interested).

Yes - I am definitely interested. And if there are any spare postcards from your class project leftover, I would love one of those. And by all means, keep dreaming and making plans - big plans.

Catching up on the forum this AM....

Bill -
The books look amazing! Great work. I bet the content is even just as interesting ; )

Rubyred-
I had to make your card my wallpaper for the day. I've love reading this letterpress thread, thanks for keeping us posted.

OK, That's all. :D

aw thanks kelly!

well, i got to see the final product today and i am not at all happy. in our group of 3, two of us did all of the printing and the third girl was supposed to attach the overlays. but she fucked it up: the overlay is super thin, and the buttons (jordan told me they're called 'brads') don't hold it in place. however, if she'd attached it with the button on the back of the card it would have worked better. but she didn't. she didn't email me or the other girl for advice or help, she didn't try to improvise a solution. she saw it wasn't working but went ahead and did it anyway, and we were left with no time today to correct her mistake.

on top of that, she only completed the minimum 10 required for our portfolio so i have no extras. HOWEVER, i do have the extra cards so jordan is sending me some nice vellum sheets to replace the overlay for the ones i'm sending you guys. i managed to salvage 12 extras, so there is about 3-4 spares available to anyone else who would like one.

hank solo and roni, you're both getting one; PM me your addresses.

it's gonna be at least a couple of weeks before i can get these out, but i WILL send them.

kelly, there's a couple left, PM me your address if you'd like one sent to you.

ok guys, i need some help with my homework. i've got a 2500 word essay to write in less than 2 weeks, and i need to come up with a question (this is for the class where i'm learning letterpress printing). i've been given some parameters to work within, but i'd really like to write on something relating to small presses, particularly those that operate largely through promotion on the internet.

bill, i'm hoping you'll have some great ideas for me.

i need a particular issue to focus on, and my professor has made a couple of suggestions: "You might want to focus on those with a political agenda, in which case you have a theme to help structure the essay. Or if you'd like to discuss the paradox of heavily material objects placed in a virtual environment, that could lead in a different direction."

i'm open to any suggestions or advice or general discussion that might help me out. at the moment i'm really leaning towards some kind of discussion of the nature of small presses promoting themselves through the internet. i'm just not sure where exactly to go with this idea.

Rubyred,
Contact me offlist at [email protected]. I'd say that you could call me, but the phone charges would be very high from NZ to USA.

I'll help with whatever. Just let me know. I can give you a perspective of a small press publisher selling through the internet, and you could compare that to what someone that did it back in the pre-internet days. I can put you in touch with someone about that. Also, if you wanted to go the political angle, I could help with that.

All that I ask in return is that you name your firstborn after me! ha!

Bill

All that I ask in return is that you name your firstborn after me! ha!

but of course!

thanks bill, i need to start thinking about the sort of questions i want to ask, then i'll email you. a comparison with someone doing it pre-internet is an awesome idea.

ok so this isn't directly related to letterpress printing, but fuck it - i started this thread, so if i want to talk about marginal stuff, i will!

this is continuing on from the essay i talked about above. i've formulated a question, but i'm interested in what you guys have to say:

How are communities of interest created, sustained, or reinforced in the digital environment?

and my essay is a case study of the small press community's use of the internet. i've emailed bill, mjp and cc at the GPP, but really - the more the merrier.

from my emails:
i'm interested in how the internet creates a kind of network, an international or interstate (in terms of the USA) network. the bukowksi forum, bill roberts' bottle of smoke press, and the guerilla poetics project are all linked to each other in some way. and at each of these sites you'll find links to other small presses or small press poets, and a lot of the names are recurring. there seems to be a reasonably strong connection and notion of mutual support in the small press world. but i'm wondering if this is pre-internet, and not reliant on the internet. but even if those connections were created pre-internet, in what ways are they sustained by digital communications? this kind of networking, created through hyperlinks, through posting on forums, creates a kind of circle of mutual promotion, where there seems to be less competition and more of a community. do you see this as a growing system, pulling more people into the network over time, or is it simply in place due to in-person relationships (friendships or business relationships)?

come on guys, help me get an A+

How are communities of interest created, sustained, or reinforced in a digital environment?

Let's look at your question, rubyred grapefruit, then let's look at your support
letter. Once we examine your question, then the solution should become
obvious for you so that you may concentrate on the work of your writing.

First?

Or negates the premise, i.e., that communities are
created, and sustained in a digital world.

I would suggest substituting the word and in its stead.

The premise, or question would then be this:

How are communities of interest created, sustained, and reinforced in the digital environment?

This way you would not have to prove the existence of such communities,
nor the existence of the digital age. Your task would then be to demonstrate
those relationships, and to examine them for their effectiveness, usefulness,
and importance. Yes? I think that's what you meant.

The letter you sent out is an interesting study in where you want to go with
this. I think if you farm that, you will find many useful ideas on what to write
about, and the right kinds of questions to ask yourself along the path of this
thesis will become plain for you.

Let's go. Shall we?

and my essay is a case study of the small press community's use of the internet. i've emailed bill, mjp and cc at the GPP, but really - the more the merrier.

from my emails:
i'm interested in how the internet creates a kind of network,

World Wide Network period. Not a kind of network. network is more assertive than
a kind of network, and it makes for better reading.

an international or interstate (in terms of the USA) network. the bukowksi forum, bill roberts' bottle of smoke press, and the guerilla poetics project are all linked to each other

I think you mean digitally rather than in some way

in some way.

Comma

and at each of these sites you'll find links to other small presses or small press poets,

Period

A lot of the names
and a lot of the names are recurring.

There is strong connection, and support in the small press world

there seems to be a reasonably strong connection and notion of mutual support in the small press world.

It may be argued that the support and respect predate the internet, and not dependent at all upon the world wide web

but i'm wondering if this is pre-internet, and not reliant on the internet.

but where community and respect predate the digital age, in what ways
are they sustained by digital communications?

but even if those connections were created pre-internet, in what ways are they sustained by digital communications? this kind of networking, created through hyperlinks, through posting on forums, creates a kind of circle of mutual promotion, where there seems to be less competition and more of a community. do you see this as a growing system, pulling more people into the network over time, or is it simply in place due to in-person relationships (friendships or business relationships)?[/I]

Let's look at my half arsed edit in one piece:

How are communities of interest created, sustained, and reinforced in the digital environment?

I'm interested in how the internet creates a World Wide Network, and
facilitates professional relationships.

The Bukowksi forum, Bill Roberts' Bottle of Smoke Press, and the Guerilla
Poetics Project are all connected to each other digitally, and at each of these
sites you'll find links to other small presses, or small press poets. Names
reoccur. It becomes obvious that there are strong connections, and support in
the small press world.

It may be argued that the support, and respect predate the internet, and are
not dependent at all upon the world wide web, but where community and
respect predate the digital age, in what ways are they sustained, and thrive
by digital communications?

This kind of networking, created through hyperlinks, and through digital
communications, create community, and thriving professional relationships.

come on guys, help me get an A+

Well. That's a tall order. I'll offer whatever I might be able to do.

You might just touch upon how chap books were first introduced to mankind,
and how that has evolved. i.e., writers traveled from burg to burg with hand
printed collections of their works. . . and in the modern world never have to
meet their customers, or other writers, face to face. Something like that.

what i quoted from the emails i had sent out was some fairly informal correspondence to people i've already been in contact with. i wasn't concerned all that much with precise grammatical or syntactical structure. i have jordan (sub-editing genius) to help me out with that when i begin writing my actual paper.

what i'm interested in is getting some discussion going about how people here think the internet influences and impacts a community like the small press.

'or' in the question is indicative of how i intend to examine each one on a separate basis - not all them will apply to every example i look at.

bill raised what i consider one of the key points in this discussion: the internet allows for a kind of communication that would perhaps seem improper in any other form. what experiences have other people here had in this regard?

what i'm interested in is getting some discussion going about how people here think the internet influences and impacts a community like the small press.
. . .
the internet allows for a kind of communication that would perhaps seem improper in any other form. what experiences have other people here had in this regard?

Improper? I don't have much experience with improper communication.

sign0081.gif

No - I don't get the improper thing either, but I would say the internet has done for the digital age the same thing the printing press did for earlier centuries. Now we can look over, investigate and select our written materials faster and easier because written correspondence has just made a great leap forward. We aint waiting on monks to transcribe and we aint waiting on the local hippie pamphleteer to crank out our weather reports.

This speed of use and convenience of choice has always been great for "bulletin boards" and that is true online also. So - without thinking this reply all the way through (another 21st Cent. habit) - I would say that the internet makes things easier - especially the continuation of pre-established concepts.

Nothing new under the sun or inside a microchip.
And it is there that you really see the layers of community

the point bill made in his email to me was that his connections in the small press started off with a few people who suggested other people that he would be interested in meeting, then those people suggested other names... and so on. it seems less intrusive to shoot someone an email, someone you've never met, but would like to get to know, then just calling them up. it's also much faster and therefore has more immediate results than letter writing; those connections are enabled a lot more quickly, and more easily maintained.

in my experience the small press world that i've encountered loops back on itself, because of links from one page to another. for example:
bukowski.net to bottle of smoke to GPP to sugarskullparade back to bukowski.net. this is a pretty small example but it extends much further. even random small press sites or zine sites i've come across have ended up being connected to others i'm already aware of. i came across art bureau by accident, and then later found out that bert benson knew bill and also david barker.

remember, when i talk about 'improper' communication i'm specifically interested in how this concerns the small press community, not electronic communication in general.

i'm also looking at how such a phenomenon keeps alive a small craft trade like letterpress printing.

Yes, I can say that without a doubt, without the internet, I would not be publishing at all. It is because of the contacts that I made first through the Bukowski auctions on ebay and then through the individual publishers that got me into poetry and small press publishing. I, for one, would have never called someone blind and asked them for a submission. It is just not my style. To me it seems obtrusive. As an example of this, I have Harvey Pekar's home phone number and would never call him and ask him for a submission. Of course, if he had e-mail....

Bill

p.s. It is not that I'm in the know. Pekar is listed in the phone book. Pretty easy to find....

Yes, I can say that without a doubt, without the internet, I would not be publishing at all. It is because of the contacts that I made first through the Bukowski auctions on ebay and then through the individual publishers that got me into poetry and small press publishing.
I remember trading some emails with you before you were a printer, talking about fonts, what you would need to actually pull off letterpress printing. That seems like a long time ago, and you probably have a few tons more equipment and supplies now than we were discussing back then. ;)

so i got my grade today for my postcard project... and i got an A!

very happy, although one of the things my professor commented on was those stupid brads that didn't get used correctly. vellum sheets from jordan should arrive sometime during the next week, then i need to figure out a new way to attach them to the cards, and then i can finally send them out.

in other news: i'm in essay-writing hell this week, but just two more days of school left and then i'm FREE yes FREE GODDAMNIT.

a huge huge huge thank you to bill, mjp, rekrab, and cc over at the GPP for their thoughtful and extremely insightful replies to my emails. seriously guys, i can't do enough to convey my appreciation for the time you took to answer; you've given me information and perspectives that i just wouldn't have been able to find anywhere else.

also: it's totally going to impress my professor that i have actual 'interviews' with actual small press people (primary sources are the best, afterall).

here's an advanced print question... on an etching (which i know isn't letterpress, but it uses a press, so it's close, right?), how does the artist create shading effects? i understand the basics of how an etching is made, but most of pressure printing's etchings look more like charcoal drawings than single-line etchings. i'm confused.

oh, also, check out http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2001/whatisaprint/flash.html. it's fun.

Cheers to you, Rubyred !
I know there have been some ups and downs
to this experience, but it's great that you
have scored an A and I congratulate you.

Not that any of us expected you would
achieve anything less. ;)

here's an advanced print question... on an etching (which i know isn't letterpress, but it uses a press, so it's close, right?), how does the artist create shading effects? i understand the basics of how an etching is made, but most of pressure printing's etchings look more like charcoal drawings than single-line etchings. i'm confused.

oh, also, check out http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2001/whatisaprint/flash.html. it's fun.

It's a technique called aquatint where you coat the plate in resin, cut in your basic design, and then soak the plate in an acid bath which cuts into the metal. You can then remove some of the resin in a particular area and put the plate back in the acid and then repeat the process as many times as needed. The longer the bare metal is in contact with the acid, the darker the shade will be in the print, so the first section of resin that you removed will be darker then the next and so on. Hope that makes sense.

Im not certain that Pressure Printing does etchings though. I know he runs a letterpress and has plates made of the artwork. For traditional etchings you would use an etching press which works by cranking the plate and paper between a roller and platen.

thanks, guys. just handed in my last paper today, so i'm officially finished with school (unless i fail my media class, then i'm pretty much fucked). this is kinda embarrassing, but all in all it's taken me 6yrs + one semester to complete a simple BA in english lit. two yrs straight out of highschool (what a waste - i partied nonstop the whole time and failed 10 out of 12 classes); then i came back to it at the age of 24 to give it another go - but i got bored and tired and lazy by the third year and managed to continuously fuck out of a whole bunch of classes. now i'm done. it's a strange feeling. it's not as scary as i imagined it would be: as much as i hated being at school, i was pretty freaked about finishing (does anyone smell a bit of self-sabotage in the room? ;)) because i had no idea what i was going to do. i think now that i've found my passion, it's just a sense of relief. this is also where i say thank you to bukowski.net and its members, because i don't know if i would have found my way into letterpress printing otherwise.

sorry for the lengthy post into my personal life, but it's late and i'm completely brain-fried.

It's a technique called aquatint where you coat the plate in resin, cut in your basic design, and then soak the plate in an acid bath which cuts into the metal. You can then remove some of the resin in a particular area and put the plate back in the acid and then repeat the process as many times as needed. The longer the bare metal is in contact with the acid, the darker the shade will be in the print, so the first section of resin that you removed will be darker then the next and so on. Hope that makes sense.

Im not certain that Pressure Printing does etchings though. I know he runs a letterpress and has plates made of the artwork. For traditional etchings you would use an etching press which works by cranking the plate and paper between a roller and platen.

I printed an etching by Ferlinghetti on a Vandercook flatbed press. It can be done. Not on the press that I own (C&P), but a Vandy proof press works well. Of course, so does an etching press (which looks a bit like an old style clothes wringer).

Bill

An etching press will generally exert more pressure than a proof press (like a Vandercook), but I would think as long as you had the proper felt blankets you could do a reasonably good job with etchings on a proof press.

Carol's friend has the biggest etching press I've ever seen in her studio. Every time I see it I am jealous, and I don't even do etchings.

I don't know, that thing is bigger than my car. it scares me. ;)

I'll have to see what she's up for next time I see her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back