Beerspit Night And Cursing (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
Just finished it.

On the one hand very interesting, because verrry early Bukowksi. The main part of the letters is from `60/`61, although correspondence lasted until `67.

On the other hand I remember somebody mention here in the forums, that reading ist tough because of Martinellis "beat"-style (think it was mjp) and that?s definitly true, even more when it?s not your language.

But also B?s writing in this letters, especially in the first and early ones is different from any other style I?ve ever read from him. It?s hard for me to tell, because of the different language, but I got the feeling, he sure wanted to somehow attach himself to Martinellis experimental sort of expressing the word. At least at the beginning of their correspondence. Or he was simply drunk when he wrote these, more drunk then usual. Or both.

A lot of "wuz" and "yr" and "U" and missing letters, double words, crazy punctuation ... etc. And "Ginsburg" stays "Ginsburg", through the entire correspondence :)

It is also interesting, which kind of subjects B. is bringing up. Compared to later correspondence there is very little, almost no speaking about his job at the post office at that time. Some random information about Jane, who was still alive then. A lot of mocking of Jory Sherman. And a lot of praise of Pound, for sure, from B., that is. He even declares Pound as his "hero", as "giant", as "master" ... etc. ... can?t remember him doing this outside the Martinelli-context. You get the feeling, he was of course thrilled somehow by the possibility to exchange letters with "pounds x-whore".

So I?d say, definitly worth a read, though it sometimes sucks.

What do you others think, who?ve read it?

I believe this was discussed in an old thread... Anyway, to me it's the worst of the lot. B is not being B 100%, he's just playing around a bit and being too nice sometimes. Also, I don't think he was honest when imitating Martinelli's style. Too bad, because Screams from the Balcony is my fave and I hoped this would be up there as well...

ehh... i'm still reading this one- i just got it a couple weeks ago. although his style is definitely different, i wonder how we can say that he's not totally being himself or that he's just imitating and playing around with martinelli. i mean, it was his decision to write those letters as he did, and if the style devaites from what we as readers have come to know from him, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't his style. if anything, i'm interested in the book because it shows a different stylistic mode for him, and one that was instigated by someone else. so in that sense, i find their correspondance really engaging because of the literary back-and-forth that emerges between them. we'll see- i'm only about 1/3 of the way through it right now.

I must admit, I was not able to read this one from cover to cover - I dip in and out of it when the mood strikes.
The three main Selected Letters books are gems, in my opinion...the density and volume of the earlier letters, the career taking shape, the relationships coming and going, the humour and the steady decline until you get to the last letter - I got a lump in my throat when I realized there were no more left.

I don't think he's being entirely genuine either. He seems to be playing to his audience much more than usual (which is always death, I think) - The literary equivalent of flirting - or maybe just straight-up flirting?

In any case a hard read.

It doesn't help me if they are not collected in a book that I can lay my hands on.:confused:

although his style is definitely different, i wonder how we can say that he's not totally being himself or that he's just imitating and playing around with martinelli. i mean, it was his decision to write those letters as he did, and if the style devaites from what we as readers have come to know from him, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't his style. if anything, i'm interested in the book because it shows a different stylistic mode for him,

maybe the discrepancy between (reaction to) SCREAMS and BEERSPIT has more to do with editorial decision - than B himself? both volumes were written between 1960 -70.

maybe the discrepancy between (reaction to) SCREAMS and BEERSPIT has more to do with editorial decision - than B himself? both volumes were written between 1960 -70.

I don't think so. All volumes of letters were heavily edited. I believe the Bukowsi in Beerspit is a unique Bukowski.

still havent read it. I will this weekend though. I can't wait. I've been saving it to have some un-read material because i've just about read everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back