black sparrow bukowski books in large format? (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
which bukowski books did black sparrow publish in a larger size than the standard editions?
so far i have (have as in know about, not as in own): in the shadow of the rose, bring me your love, and there's no business. also, the morrow/cooney bibliography, although that's not really a bukowski book. anything else?

Morrow & Cooney is the same size as a standard Black Sparrow issue.

But you could add Shakespeare Never Did This to your list, and Horsemeat, The Wedding and the final BS book, Bukowski...

Also, the Black Sparrow Graphis arts books, "The Captian" (the one from 1997, not 1998 and "Heat Wave".

I assume that you mean height & width, not thickness. If that is the case, yes. Morrow & Cooney and Septuagenarian Stew are the same size as the other BSP Books.

So, the list so far would be:

Bring Me Your Love (10.5" x 7.5")
There's No Business (10.5" x 7.5")
Bukowski (Photo book from 2002) (about 9" x 11")
The Wedding (11.25" x 8.5")
Darkness & Ice (11" x 8")
Horsemeat (14.25" x 11.25")
Shakespeare Never Did This (8" x 10")
In The Shadow of the Rose (10.5" x 8.25")
Scarlet (10.75" x 7.25")
Three Poems (10.25" x 7")
Heat Wave (15" x 12.5")
The Captain Is Out To Lunch (14.2" x 11.25")

Did I miss anything? I should also note that most of this info was pulled directly from the Bibliography by Aaron Krumhansl. I don't have most of these titles and cannot take credit for anything except looking through this great book.

Bill

the numbered morrow and cooney is bigger (i would assume the lettered is too). i'll take some comparison photos the next time i get a chance.

i'm a moron- of course this info would be in krumhansl... i guess i just needed to remember that EVERYTHING is in krumhansl.

the numbered morrow and cooney is bigger (i would assume the lettered is too). i'll take some comparison photos the next time i get a chance.

Hi,
I think that you are right! I have the trade edition here and in the colophon, it mentions a larger edition. How big is that book? I have never seen the numbered/lettered editions, I guess.

Bill

well, evidently it didn't go over too well, since the publication announcement i have for it lists the original price for the numbered ed. at $75, and it's pretty easy to find it for less than that. the numbered one has a black spine (one of the only ones i can think of where the trade ed. has a colored spine, and the numbered ed. has a black spine), and i'd say it's about 2" taller and 1" wider than the trade edition. it's a pretty nice book, especially since all the photos are bigger as well. plus, the signatures are on a bookplate mounted underneath the endpaper, which is something i hadn't seen before.

Its a bibliography of all (I think) BSP publications (not just Bukowski) from 1966 to 1978.

A bibliography of the Black Sparrow Press, 1966-1978. Edited by Bradford Morrow & Seamus Cooney, with a foreword by Robert Kelly.

yes, it is. It is quite well done. For those BSP collectors out there, or anyone interested in the small press, it is a great reference.

Bill

Since we're including bibliographies, Dorbin is 1/2 inch taller but the same width as a typical BS hardcover.

And Seamus Cooney's 1971 The Black Sparrow Press - A Checklist (the first hundred publications, also published by BS) is 8.25 x 5 inches. The softcover anyway. I have never seen one of the 200 hardcovers (or 50 "special copy" hardcovers signed by all BS authors).

Since we're including bibliographies, Dorbin is 1/2 inch taller but the same width as a typical BS hardcover.

I think that all of the early BSP hardcovers were this size. My copies of The Days Run Away and Mockingbird Wish Me Luck are the same size as the Dorbin bibliography.

You're right.

I don't have first (or early) hardcovers of those early titles, but even the softcover firsts are taller now that I look at them. Never really took notice of that. Up through South of No North they are half an inch taller, then Burning in Water moves to the same slightly smaller size as all those that followed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back