black sparrow press bibliographies/catalogs (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
besides the first 100 publications checklist and the morrow and cooney bibliography, are there any other black sparrow bibliographies available (not counting bukowski ones, ofc)? i'm trying to find some good lists of black sparrow books published since 1978 (when morrow and cooney was published), and the best thing i've found so far is the "new titles" catalogs that BSP published... but those can get expensive, and i haven't found any from the later days of the press (post 1994). I did find a good order form from 1990 that was pretty instructive, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas... surely John Martin was not content to let some of the lesser-known books he published fade into obscurity?

also, if you have any BSP promotional material for sale, please let me know via PM.

Hi,
There are no other ones. Afetr 1978, it gets tough. As far as John Martin letting publications fade into obscurity, I will say that Black Sparrow printed many limited editions that were never reprinted. Looking at those BSP lists will help, but will not get you 100% there.

I was in the process of compiling a bibliographical checklist since 1978, but that has been put on the back burner for a bit.

Are you looking for any specific titles/authors? I have about 60 non-Buk Black Sparrow HB firsts. Many are the signed editions. Many are available for sale.

Best,
Bill

bill- i'd love to peruse a list of what you had for sale, but not if it required you taking any time to compile it... i'm looking into other BSP books because i find them intrinsically interesting (business man quits business, invests in publishing company, changes face of american literature). and i've found some so far that are incredibly good. plus, you can find lettered editions of some of them for under $100, and for someone like me, who won't be affording any bukowski lettered editions anytime soon, that's pretty cool, just to enjoy the quality of the book, even if it's not as mind blowing as bukowski.

i have found a lot of books so far on abe, and many of the numbered ones are cheap- like $15-$30, which is cool. i'm looking for a reasonably priced copy of codrescu's alien candor right now, since i really like his poetry. oh, and I'm really trying hard to find a numbered edition of thus spake the corpse vol. 2. jeff maser has the set for $100, but i found vol. 1 for $25 already, so i'm hoping to find the 2nd volume for that much as well.

finally, i'm not necessarily looking for particular authors as much as i'm curious as to what authors BSP published... i've done a good amount of research, but i'm always uncovering books i didn't know existed (like alien candor, for instance, or Insel by Mina Loy, another one of my favorite authors). If you ever move that checklist project to the front burner, I may have some stuff that would be of use to you. right now, I'm trying to find the "new titles" catalogs from the last 5 years or so, and I'm coming up empty.

right now, I'm trying to find the "new titles" catalogs from the last 5 years or so, and I'm coming up empty.

I've got the ones from '95, '97, and 2000. What do they sell for?

Last edited by a moderator:
one guy on abe is selling a bunch from the 80's and early 90's for around $3, and they usually turn up in lots with 5 or 6 for $20-$25. although, i have found booksellers asking as much as $20 for them, although i don't know that anyone would pay that much.

yep. exactly.
unfortunately, i'm out of town all next week, and i won't be able to bid on these.

ARRGGH!!!

oh, and I'm really trying hard to find a numbered edition of thus spake the corpse vol. 2. jeff maser has the set for $100, but i found vol. 1 for $25 already, so i'm hoping to find the 2nd volume for that much as well.

Hi,
I'm pretty sure that I have this book, b ut need to find the right box. I also have a bunch of other ones that are signed, trade and a few lettered.

I'll let you know when I find it.

Best,
Bill

one guy on abe is selling a bunch from the 80's and early 90's for around $3, and they usually turn up in lots with 5 or 6 for $20-$25. although, i have found booksellers asking as much as $20 for them, although i don't know that anyone would pay that much.

Thanks, Jordan! If you like, I can tell you the content of those three I have...

I'm pretty sure that I have this book, b ut need to find the right box. I also have a bunch of other ones that are signed, trade and a few lettered.
Bill

On the off chance you come across

Michael Lally
It's Not Nostalgia: Poetry & Prose

Wanda Coleman
Bathwater Wine

Diane Wakoski
Emerald Ice: Selected Poems 1962-1987

Paul Bowles Collected Stories.

in that box and are willing to part with them, I may be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back