Black Sparrow Press office (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
I just came across of the very few pictures I took when I went to see Martin. All the interesting material is actually on the DV tape, but I'm too lazy to take screenshots from there, so I'm just attaching these 2 images.

as I said somewhere else, a very simple, humble office. this was in 2001, a year before Martin decided to quit.

Attachments

• BSPress1.JPG
    BSPress1.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 326
  • BSPress2.JPG
    BSPress2.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 300
  • BSPress1b.jpg
    BSPress1b.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 326
So what are the stacks in the shelves? Books yeah, but what? Seems like a mighty small inventory, unless it was just review copies or freebies to mail out, etc...

those were all the B books, from The Days up to the newest one, plus broadsides and pamphlets. At that time, I didn't have all B books, and Martin took them from the shelves and gave them to me. He even gave me one of those matchbooks with a short B poem on it.

I modified one of the images so you can see/imagine where Martin worked. The red arrow shows where his cubicle was.

I imagine that Black Sparrow continued to fulfill orders up to a certain point, and there wasn't a lot of inventory left over. I would think that once word of the sale and folding of BS got out, booksellers snapped up what they could, and have by now sold it off or are sitting on it, waiting for the value to rise. I doubt that HarperColins/Ecco distributed any BS stock. But - as always - I could be wrong.

Since the BS runs were relatively small, I don't think there were ever warehouses full of books waiting to go to market. Martin knew his audience and business and probably operated on a slim inventory, relying on reprints when the shelves got low. That's why you have 20 or 30 printings of some Bukowski books, when a larger publishing house might do two or three for the same number of books...

I'd be interested to know what that inventory consisted of. One of the great things about Black Sparrow was that they kept the "big" titles constantly in print. You could order hardcover copies of just about any of the major titles right up to the end. Which I always meant to do, but never did. But you have to wonder if there were any of the smaller run titles in the inventory that was sold.

I was actually always a little disappointed by the quality of the BS hardcovers. The first time I saw one I was kind of surprised at what seemed like a quick and dirty method of using a slice of the paperback version of the cover on the spine. Anyway, some are nicer than others, but the hardcovers always seemed like an afterthought to me.

Really! That's interesting. Who bought them (if you know)? The presentation/proof stuff doesn't float my boat, but like-new copies of some of the more obscure titles does.

ABE is (or it used to be) run by S. Cooney, a good friend of Martin and the editor of the first volumes of letters. A good guy.

ABE is now owned and operated by a business located in Europe. Interesting -- didn't know Seamus was involved in it earlier on...

cirerita said:
...S. Cooney...the editor of the first volumes of letters.
Cooney also did the first sort of bibliography-lite of Black Sparrow, The Black Sparrow Press, A Checklist, published in 1971, which lists the first 100 Black Sparrow publications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back