• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Black Sparrow typesetter selling her collection (1 Viewer)

Just throwing this out there -- I picked up a few of these books, and the transaction was smooth sailing.

The PBs are just that, used BSP copies, at least the four I got are. Nothing special, later printings (except the one that explicitly said first printing in the listing), and all are exactly as described -- smudged, etc. I get the feeling these were just copies that hung around the printer's room(s), vs. being galleys, advance copies or anything like that. I'd say they're good as a neat historical curiosities, but probably not much else. The fancier book I got is super nice and I'm really pleased with it.

Mz. Monzter sent pics before I bought and was very communicative throughout. I got exactly what I paid for, quickly, and the seller (typesetter) has a blog, included a letter, and was also very cooperative.

I'll agree with those who've suggested the prices ARE a little high for posting in this forum. I'm pleased with the sale though because I'm psyched about the 'strange historical curiosity' aspect of these books.

Just adding this as it seems there's some miscommunication leading to a little friction, which shouldn't get in the way of good books trading hands.

The friction is caused by the lack of believable information.

I'm sure Sasha is a fine seller and a wonderful human being. But you aren't buying printer's copies (there was one printer's copy of most BSP titles, and it was always a special hardcover, and always marked "Printer's copy"), you're buying Sasha's used books.

Your comment (strange historical curiosity) is just what I wanted to avoid; people buying her used books thinking they are getting a piece of BSP history.

Suggesting that a printer has a bunch of books lying around just in case they need to check up on text changes or "custom mixing" inks is misleading. The printer may well have had copies of the books they printed, but they wouldn't work from those books. Ink isn't mixed by eye, it's mixed following a formula, and if that formula isn't written down (or in a Pantone color book) you will never match it by looking at it and mixing inks. That's just not how it works.

The typesetter may well have marked up copies of books around, but again, the printer wouldn't be working from anything like that. And the typesetter for a publishing house doesn't generally work in a printing shop. I think the problem here is using typesetter and printer interchangeably when they are very different things (in modern terms anyway) and may never even be in the same room together. Don't take my word for any of this, ask anyone who ever worked in printing or publishing.

None of this matters at all in the big scheme of things, but we're talking about Black Sparrow "collectibles," and as far as those are concerned, a "Printer's Copy" is a very specific thing, and these ain't that.

If I'm an asshole for introducing some reality into this conversation and trying to keep you from wasting your money, so be it.

You'll think I'm an asshole for something else soon enough. At least in this case it's in your interest.

MJP you make excellent points, and I agree. I should've added that I don't think the paperbacks are collectible, and basically standard used paperback prices should be applied (in my opinion), for potential buyers. All that being said, I just wanted to stand up as a satisfied buyer, so that if people were feeling skeeved out they could have a little reassurance about these books, and that they weren't going to get straight up ripped off.

As to me thinking you're an asshole, well, having read the boards for a few months before posting, I saw a response from you and thought, 'oh shit, what did I do?!?' Turns out I agreed with you. Phew!

I'm relieved to have been out of town all week and thus avoided collateral damage. I can sympathize with the missing daughter all night situation. It's hell, a knife in your guts twisting. Somehow I survived that period in my life. As for the "strange historical curiosity" vs "just used books", I don't know nuthing. But the printer connection is still cool, as long as the story is straight on just what that means and doesn't mean.

Color me confused. I thought Sasha was a man. Actually met "him" at Ed Smith's book store in Ojai back in the early 1990s. At least that's who he told me I met. Could have sworn I've some pictures of "him" as well. And I vaguely remember him telling me about the little printing operation "he" and his wife had. Must've been a different guy.

Given that most booksellers will give a 20% discount just for the asking, you may want to cut your price in half. I'm not saying this to be difficult, but at that price, you will not sell it. If you list it on ebay, expect to get less than $75 for it, if it sells.

#3 is available on abe for $262.50 (probably less if you ask nicely), but routinely sells on ebay for the $150 - $175 price range.

Please forgive the hijack. Is there an art to bartering with booksellers? I tried this once and the whole thing blew up in my face. I made an offer for a number of items via email and was mocked by the dealer. I must've been having a bad day because I fired back and the next thing I knew, cyber-fists were flying. Unfortunately, I no longer have those emails or I'd be willing to share. Luckily, the items were not Buk or BSP-related.

Let's say Book A lists on abe for $400 and is the only signed and lettered listing at the time and I want the book. Do I just pony up the $$$? Make an offer? If so, 10% off?

Thanks in advance.

It is hard to say if there is only one copy. Much of it may depend on what they paid for it. Most of the time, they are paying LESS than they are offering it for, so there may be some wiggle room. There are a few booksellers who are known to be extremely difficult (much like the soup nazi.) Offering less to these type of booksellers will get you yelled at and thrown out of the store.

Still, it is a buyers market with the economy being down, so many people will barter. Still, there are some great book sellers out there and if they are offering a book at what seems like a fair price, why not just pay it? Bartering seems more appropriate when there are multiple copies and the preferred seller may be a bit higher.

That is just my take.

I know a book seller who discounts some books automatically if you visit his store in person. That being said, I always make my selection knowing what the asking price is and am willing to pay that amount, so any discount is a nice bonus from the seller. This seller has a great reputation and is a great guy to deal with to boot.

Bill

Please forgive the hijack. Is there an art to bartering with booksellers? I tried this once and the whole thing blew up in my face. I made an offer for a number of items via email and was mocked by the dealer. I must've been having a bad day because I fired back and the next thing I knew, cyber-fists were flying. Unfortunately, I no longer have those emails or I'd be willing to share. Luckily, the items were not Buk or BSP-related.
All offers will be considered and I would never be so nasty as to mock someone for an offer - seriously offer what you think is a fair price and chances are we can work with it.

Perhaps you can post an updated list of what is still for sale. The 'Upload a File' button should make adding some photos quite simple now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back