Book Shelving Advice (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks: We have some painted shelves that would serve well for books, but I'm concerned about using painted shelves for better books because the paint could rub off on the bindings over time. Can anyone recommend a type of contact paper or other archival (e.g., acid free) adhesive paper that might be a better option (and where we can get it)? Is the adhesive in these an issue?

Or should we just stick to unpainted surfaces?

Much thanks.

On the same note (and not to distract from PS's questions), does anyone have a good place to buy archival-safe clear plastic bags for old magazine issues? I've looked at several office supply stores, but they only have a-s binder sheets, not the bags.

Thanks (and sorry to interrupt your thread, PS).

check stores that sell comic books. if they don't have them i'm sure they could tell you where to find them.

I have no useful information on the shelving issue, but for archival plastic magazine bags I recommend you check your local comic book store (quick before they go out of business).

Any shop worth its salt will should either have, or be able to order, storage bags for everything from postcards all the way up to the old Life magazine sized bags and beyond.

EDIT: Ok... d gray apparently types faster than I do.

Yes, comic shops sell archival plastic magazine bags in various sizes. Go for the Mylar bags, they're the absolute best. I use them myself for some rare comics I have (they also sell cheaper bags, but they only last for about 3-5 years).

- PS, perhaps a paint shop could tell you which paint to use for book shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me more about these "comic book stores" you speak so highly of. And where should I get the time machine in order to go back to last century and find one? ;)

Thanks, guys. I will track down a comic shop. There's actually quite a few of them still around in LA. And thanks for the tip on the mylar bags.

Now back to Purple Stickpin's question... Maybe if you can't find any acid-free plastic to put down, you could use some sort of cloth or that green felt stuff (which seemed pretty popular in the 80s but may have fallen out of favor now). I'd probably try to lay some of that down and just be really careful about placing and removing the books.

acid-free matte board would be totally safe to line a shelf with. and easy to cut to fit. any art supply store stocks it.

Tell me more about these "comic book stores" you speak so highly of. And where should I get the time machine in order to go back to last century and find one? ;)

Hi De Ho Comics & Books
525 Santa Monica Boulevard
Santa Monica California 90401
PHONE 310-394-2820
FAX 310-451-0463

There's lots of big comic book stores online. You can easily order some mylar bags that way in the size you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just put down three of four layers of any acid free white paper. Any craft store will have acid free paper. Cut it so that it is only as deep as the shelf and line it with that. This way, you can remove it easily.

Otherwise, maybe have clamshells made for all of your books!

just a thought....

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back