Buk poem endorses scotch: (1 Viewer)

At least it's an appropriate product to whore his words out to. Not like Levi's or running shoes or a stock brokerage.

Arrgh! What tripe! OK, yes, it is booze. Which is certainly better than Levi's or the stock brokerage, I must agree. But: I've tasted Dewar's. That's nothing more than "well" pour. Whore or no whore. For the same money, one can quaff a wee dram of Lismore, a single-malt that goes down nice and smooth. Geez, the admen/women are co-opting everything.

I've tasted Dewar's. That's nothing more than "well" pour...

i love that you're offended by the type of scotch it's pushing as well. :DD

At least it's an appropriate product to whore his words out to. Not like Levi's or running shoes or a stock brokerage.

ya mon. who knows, maybe bukowski would've approved if he were still here.

i just feel that it's uncool to use an artist's work - especially something as personal as art - to endorse something when the artist isn't around to say okay or not.

Last edited:
Of course it is, but that's the world we live in now.

Would John Lennon sell Revolution to Nike? Would Bob Marley let his name and face be put on the ten thousand cheap trinkets his family has manufactured? Seems unlikely in both cases, but here we are.

Iggy sold Search and Destroy to Nike, but Iggy doesn't have the benefit of millions of dollars constantly flowing into the bank from his music the way that Lennon and Marley do, so I find it hard to fault him for that. If he can get paid for those old (massively influential) songs, more power to him.

I'm not against advertising.
(When I was in the trade in the 90s, I'd worked for nearly everybody, except maybe beer, arms and political parties.)
But I hate bad films, even if it's only a commercial. This one was lousy. The one for Levi's back then, was at least okay. I'm not talking about the product, but about the film. I'd welcome a commercial with Bukowski, when it's well done, even if it was for tooth-paste.

And I sure don't agree it's a bad thing per se to use an artists work when he isn't around anymore to give his okay. There are innumerous cool ads with footage from arts all through the centuries, be they written, painted, printed, photographed, built, drawn, sung or whatever. So, if it's properly done: yes.

255526_4122943397489_1766737515_n.jpg

Last edited:
There are innumerous cool ads with footage from arts all through the centuries, be they written, painted, printed, photographed, built, drawn, sung or whatever. So, if it's properly done: yes.

255526_4122943397489_1766737515_n.jpg
Arrgh. Absente...It's absente alright. More swill that tries to pass for decent beverage. It is not even absinthe, which one can now legally purchase most everywhere. Why would anyone want to drink this stuff? Certainly VG would have spit it out.

it looks like he's shaking his head "no" in that awful illustration.

or he just drank the whole bottle and is seeing triple.

can't say anything about the soup, since I haven't tried.
But intended to use the pic as an excample of a Well Done advertisment using a dead artist. Seems I didn't get through.

My post was redirected and I see there's already been a discussion about this. Like I thought, I'm in the minority on this one. For me, maybe its the pleasure seeing his words out there in the marketplace and someone hearing them and being startled by Buk's direct voice.

I didn't even know you could still get Dewar's White Label. It's like something your grandfather would've drunk when he couldn't afford Glenfiddich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back