Buk Poem (1 Viewer)

I own a carbon of an original Buk poem that he submitted for publication. This poem is titled "you can't make a lion out of a butterfly" and is corrected and signed by Buk. The date of his signature is 5-1-78. I was wondering how much it is worth...not that i want to sell but just wondering? Anybody know??

Go to Ebay and see what they're asking for signed Bukowski material. My guess is that it's worth something, perhaps not as much as you'd like it to be though. Nonetheless, I would frame it and hang it up in your home.

I think if you can get signed first editions of his books is where most of the money is. Or the old mimeographed chapbooks in pristine condition are probably worth a fortune, but it's hard to say what one single poem is worth.

I own a carbon of an original Buk poem that he submitted for publication. This poem is titled "you can't make a lion out of a butterfly" and is corrected and signed by Buk. The date of his signature is 5-1-78. I was wondering how much it is worth...not that i want to sell but just wondering? Anybody know??

$500 - $1000 depending on the quality of the poem. I do not have that poem memorized and would need to look it up. If you bought it from Abandoned Planet it is probably listed over there under manuscripts with a scan of the poem.

<-------------------------------------

Bill

Tried eBay..no luck...Buk seems too fall off there. I whis iI had the money for a complete signed book...I..again..am not trying to sell this..just wondering what it's worth. I am a huge Buk fan.....I want to own more...

You are right that the earlier chapbooks are much harder to find, but even the early chapbooks have taken a hit. The economy is not good here in the US. I'm not sure about in other countries.

If you notice a copy of "8 Story Window" sold last week for $150 after being listed three times (I bought it). Another one went unsold for $190. These are pre-black sparrow chapbooks that would have sold for $400 a couple years ago and that is not counting on Nick or Ross to bid on them. They would have just sold.

The only book that seems to have gone up in the last two years is Crucifix, which was selling for about $150 and now brings in much more.

Bill

i keep wavering on picking up this copy of crucifix at a local bookstore. $150 is a good price, but the condition is lacking... it's missing the band, the covers are worn, and it looks like there's some warping from excessive moisture. still, it is what it is...

in the shorter term lens, the market for buk has rebounded since the summer (i think). maybe not for trade hardcovers just yet, although less are being sold these days, so i think they might go for the $40-60 they were getting last winter.

My main goal was to own a piece of BUK, like I said before I wasn't looking to sell. The carbon is 3 pages long. And is corrected by him. I know it isn't much..but I can call it mine and hopefully leave it to my seven year old and she can enjoy it as much as me...To All My Friends!!!! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back