Bukowski CDs (1 Viewer)

Being fairly new to Buk, I haven't gotten around to his CDs. Which two or three would be a good starting point? The best readings, sound, Buk's interactions with the audience, etc. I'd appreciate some suggestions (even though this has probably been addressed before on this site!).

Thanks.

I think Poems and Insults would be a good place to start. It also has some audience interaction. If you want a lot of audience interaction, then go for Hostage...

There is an old thread on buknet where you can download a bunch of readings and extra's for free. I don't remember which thread....Anyone?

You mean this one: New Here: Have some old recordings i can UL & Share...

If you can get a copy of the CD 'At Terror Street And Agony Way' for a reasonable price, then I'd strongly recommend it. 2 CDs, loads of classic early poems all recorded at his place in De Longpre back in the late 60s. But watch out, I think the fact that it shares its title with a rare early BSP book means that prices are often artificially high.

I have four Bukowski CD's, and I listen to them all the time, as frequently as music CD's, and they never get old. I smile the whole time they play. From Solid Citizen, I memorized When Hugo Wolf Went Mad, and I say it at least once a day for practice. My girlfriend Marilyn says it's my prayer.

The two I'd reccommend for a start, were mentioned already, I just wanted to confirm:

- 'Hostage' (Live in Redondo Beach 1980)
- 'Solid Citizen' Live in Hamburg, Germany 1978)

Both are full of life, contain a lot of action / interaction, but also some serious moments. Buk appeares very cool.
(only one bad thing: 'Hostage' comes as a one-track recording, which makes it hard to go for special poems to listen to.)

The reason I prefer these before 'Poems and insults' is for reasons of audio-quality only. So, if you don't mind the lack of good sound, this one's great too. (it was the San Francisco reading 1972.)

The 'Terror Street' is a fine one but of poor sound quality and has no audience-interaction since it was a home-recording as hank already stated. So, maybe you shouldn't start with this one, but have it in mind for later. If you take this one, you might like to add the 'Run with the Hunted - Uncensored' - Double-CD. It's a home-recording from short before Buk's death and thus complementary to the 'Terror Street'-rec. Both together sum up very fine, I think.

I must admit:
I don't have the CD of 'Solid Citizen', I only have the far older LP of that reading (named "Hello, it's ggod to be back") - and on this one the sound is just fine.
So you may be right. My mistake. I was thinking the CD must be done from that same master, which it seems is not.

I started with Poems and Insults then I bought next CD, and next. Now i try to found a 2 CD set called At Terror Street And Agony Way but after I read hanks solo's post i think that its impossible for me :) I have an incomplete At Terror Street in mp3 form p2p and it sound really good.
But Poems and Insults its easier to buy.

"You have just passed the initiation rite..."
Thanks, Bukfan. I don't know what that was, but I'm glad, it's good to be here.
I see recommendations are varied, and from my point of view you can start with any of them, because they all have uniquely engaging styles and I like them all equally well. There's a strong chance that the first CD will inevitably lead to the rest anyway. And thanks to everyone for the audio info, especially Uncensored / Run With The Hunted info -- that's one I didn't have. But it's on the way now, and I can hardly wait.

... a 2 CD set called At Terror Street And Agony Way but after I read hanks solo's post i think that its impossible for me :)
it isn't.
Just Watch, what you're buying!
- as hank said, it only shares the TITLE !
The point is: it's well known (e.g. from Buk's preface to 'Burning in Water') that 'Terror Street' (the book) was edited after a home-recording. BUT - This home-recording (which obviously would be of some value) is NOT the same as the (wide-spread) double-CD of the same name, that we talk about!
So, any honest person will sell this CD for an affordable price. At least now, that you know it's not the 'rare' one and can tell him/her that.

"You have just passed the initiation rite..."
Thanks, Bukfan. I don't know what that was, but I'm glad, it's good to be here.

Ohh, I said that because you daily keep memorizing a Buk poem. Only a true Buk fan would do that...:D

Thanks for the info roni! Before i'd buy At Terror Street (on eBay i saw only tape for $350 and books) i want to buy Neither Bought For Gold...

I usually buy an original CD's/DVD's (or first download, then buy) but thanks for the link! I put those tracks on mp3-player and just try (yeah I know - "Don't try" ;)) before buy.

Whatever you do, please DON'T start with the Underwater Poetry Festival. I listened to it the first time last night. Hostage, King Of Poets, Solid Citizen and Poems And Insults all have different positive flavors, and each would make a good first impression, making you want more, but I think Underwater Poetry Festival might stop you in your tracks. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got it, and I'll probably keep listening to it, and I think the completists will need it as it has its own unique flavor, though not overwhelmingly positive. What do others think?

Underwater Poetry Good - Me Wrong

I take it back -- never mind. Underwater Poetry Festival is fine. I shouldn't have judged it on the first listen, and I listened to it 3 more times over the weekend, and I like it, so fuck me, and get any CD you want to start with. Underwater has poems not read anywhere else that I know of, and the banter has a different air than other recordings. I've got the Viking Inn CD on the way, and look forward it. Live it up.

I found the CD on GEMM -- says "Viking Inn, Vancouver Oct. '79," the reading that is also on video but hasn't been released pending a DVD distributor.

Hey TDJazz, what did you get, and how do you like it? Does anyone out there know if the Terror Street CD is different than King Of Poets and 70 Minutes In Hell? The most I could find out was that there are "40 poems and stories," but no title list. If different, is it completely different, or does it overlap?
Thanks.

Yes, the Terror Street cd is different from the other two. There are no real stories on it unless you call "story-poems" like Fire Station a story. There are no overlaps. It's completely different from King Of Poets and 70 Minutes In Hell. Somewhere in the forum there's a post listing all the tracks from Terror Street...

I just found it! - you can see the track listing of Terror.. in the Books, publications section - page four. The thread is called Miles Buk Bio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone out there know if the Terror Street CD is different than King Of Poets and 70 Minutes In Hell? The most I could find out was that there are "40 poems and stories," but no title list. If different, is it completely different, or does it overlap?

They are all three different CDs.
Tracklistings are here:
http://www.bukowski-gesellschaft.de/div/CDs-tracklist.gif
(oh, I just see your quest has already been answered by Bukfan. Anyway...)

Since my original post, I picked up Hostage, and I can't get enough. It has some "serious" poetry readings and some great interactions with the audience--funny stuff. Good thing Buk didn't stick to his early comment not to have "rejoinders with" the audience.

And I separated the CD into individual tracks with Sound Studio, which helps me find my favorite parts. Why didn't the record company do that in the first place? Odd.

Whatever you do, please DON'T start with the Underwater Poetry Festival. I listened to it the first time last night. Hostage, King Of Poets, Solid Citizen and Poems And Insults all have different positive flavors, and each would make a good first impression, making you want more, but I think Underwater Poetry Festival might stop you in your tracks. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got it, and I'll probably keep listening to it, and I think the completists will need it as it has its own unique flavor, though not overwhelmingly positive. What do others think?

Where did you get this? Would you be willing to upload it?

Yeah, we do not encourage sharing things that are still commercially available. If something is long out of print you may see a link now and then, or a link to something that the owner approved.

Underwater Poetry at CD Baby

"Where did you get this?"

I got my Underwater Poetry Festival at CD Baby -

http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=bukowski

For the great price of 10 bucks. And I reiterate the correction to my bad review -- I was wrong, this CD is not bad, it's great. Most of the readings are well done, some different poems than other recordings, and some of the banter is unique, like how he talks about the Utah football game and the Utah cheerleaders, because the reading is in Salt Lake City.
"Buy my books and be saved."

Since my original post, I picked up Hostage, and I can't get enough. It has some "serious" poetry readings and some great interactions with the audience--funny stuff. Good thing Buk didn't stick to his early comment not to have "rejoinders with" the audience.

And I separated the CD into individual tracks with Sound Studio, which helps me find my favorite parts. Why didn't the record company do that in the first place? Odd.

All right!! Glad you like it. Coincidentally that was the first Buk album I got, too. It didn't take long till I needed them all. Have you got others yet? I think I got King Of Poets next, which was just as great but with a completely different personality.

Viking Inn

The Viking Inn cd? Is that the name? The one from the ebay seller?

I received my Viking Inn CD, and it's great. I don't know about the Ebay seller -- I got mine from this place:
http://apoprecords.com/
Turns out some scenes in the video Born Into This are from this Viking Inn show, including the opener: "Dennis, for God's sake get him a bottle!!"
Anyway, it's a great listen, with some poems from no other recordings. And don't forget, read his books and be saved.

mjp or whoever might know - is there a thread or anywhere else on the site that lists, or attempts to list, all the known CB audio recordings?

These are the ones I know of...

King of poets - home recording New Orleans 1970 [1997]
A terror street and agony way - home recording (De Longpre Avenue, LA) January 1969 [1998]
Poems and insults - City Lights poets theatre - San Francisco September 14th 1973 [1999]
Uncensored - From the Run With The Hunted session - 1993 [2000]
Neither bought for gold, nor to the devil sold [2000]
70 minutes in hell - home recording 1969 [2003]
Solid citizen - Hamburg 1978 & home recording 1969 [2004]
Underwater poetry festival - Utah October 5th 1974 [2006]
Reads his poetry [1995]
Hostage - Redondo Beach, California. April 1980 [1994]

Any others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back