Bukowski CDs (2 Viewers)

Why yes there is! Let's call it Bukowski at Baudelaire's.

intro/preamble/bullshit
the sniveler
chatter
the tabby cat
chatter
the crunch
audience member heckles Bukowski, repeating, "cliche! cliche!"
Poet and poetess
chatter - "big John at Black Sparrow didn't want to print that one..."
against the tide
time
chatter - "they're walking out!" long break, introduces Linda Lee
pacific telephone
one for old snaggletooth
this poet
- missing 10 or 15 minutes -
dollars
the place didn't look bad
chatter - "questions?" "is Tom Waits still a buddy of yours?" "yes, I still lift weights until my body yearns" - goes off on Faulkner
my old man
chatter - a fight breaks out in the bar
one for the shoeshine man
partial poem - "one for the shoeshine man"
thank you, good night

If it looks like not many poems, that's because there's a lot of talking with the audience on here. I've never heard quite as many between poem lulls and chatter in a Bukowski reading as I have on this tape. Maybe they edited all of that out of the commercial releases.

Oh and Baudelaire's is/was in Santa Barbara, so John Martin was there. When the "cliche" heckler asks Bukowski to buy him a beer, Bukowski says, "Ask the balding red headed man at the big round table who's buying drinks for everyone else." At another point a Black Sparrow secretary walks out, and Bukowski comments on it.

These are the ones I know of...

King of poets - home recording New Orleans 1970 [1997]
A terror street and agony way - home recording (De Longpre Avenue, LA) January 1969 [1998]
Poems and insults - City Lights poets theatre - San Francisco September 14th 1973 [1999]
Uncensored - From the Run With The Hunted session - 1993 [2000]
Neither bought for gold, nor to the devil sold [2000]
70 minutes in hell - home recording 1969 [2003]
Solid citizen - Hamburg 1978 & home recording 1969 [2004]
Underwater poetry festival - Utah October 5th 1974 [2006]
Reads his poetry [1995]
Hostage - Redondo Beach, California. April 1980 [1994]

Any others?
There is also the previously unreleased "Klacto" recordings that were released on CD - 12 GREAT AMERICANS. And a Live at The Viking Inn cd that is a bootleg of Dennis' (still unreleased) Viking Inn video.

Otherwise, I think you hit all of them with that list. There are others, but they are just bootlegs of one of the above recordings under different titles.

King of poets is actually a bootleg of the NOLA Express cassette. I haven't compared them, but I assume it's all there. Maybe I will digitize the original cassette at some point (if someone hasn't already).

Why yes there is! Let's call it Bukowski at Baudelaire's.

If it looks like not many poems, that's because there's a lot of talking with the audience on here. I've never heard quite as many between poem lulls and chatter in a Bukowski reading as I have on this tape. Maybe they edited all of that out of the commercial releases.

Was this reading at Baudelaire's commercially released? If yes, does anyone have details about purchasing it, as I didn't find anything on Google? If not, does anyone have it in an mp3 format or something similar and is willing to share it?

It was not released. There is an audience cassette from the reading, but no digital version.

There are a lot of audience cassettes - or at least there were - in almost every picture from every reading you can see the recorders and microphones scattered all over the desk in front of him. It's surprising that more haven't surfaced, but I guess they are lost to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back