Bukowski - I saw a tramp last night (1 Viewer)

You said "it's a surprisingly good poem," period. Well, not period, exactly, a winkie face came where I suppose the period should have been. You didn't qualify that with "pre-1958 published" poetry. As an overall statement, "it's a surprisingly good poem" is very much debatable.

What isn't debatable is that the poem makes sense if you replace the word "dog" with "Bukowski." It does not. Not in English anyway.

The way the old Bukowski walked
with clotted, tired fur
down nobody's alley
being nobody's Bukowski...

Huh?

Perhaps you meant something else. But I was responding to what you typed, not what you might have been thinking.

Huh? indeed. Are we gonna read things literally now?

And "surprisingly" was actually "surprisingly." I thought that the italics plus the winkie face would convey what I was thinking. Apparently not. Anyway, I still believe it's a surprisingly good (early) poem. And Bukowski was the dog. Literally or not.

I tired of your riddles long ago, my friend. I don't care to run your posts through some sort of Da Vinci code to decipher what you are really saying. If you are incapable of saying what you mean, you should expect to be misunderstood. Or ignored. I'll return to the latter now.

Reading this poem, I assumed that Buk was slyly "portraying" himself as a lost dog, but maybe that's a mistake on my part. But you have to admit that he used animal/imagery comparisons very effectively in "The History Of One Tough Motherfucker" and "Bluebird".

He liked critters better than people and I CAN'T BLAME HIM.

:)

i bet bukowski spent as much time on that poem as a single post in this thread.

apart from this one.

fingers crossed. that makes sense.

Must be a strong western wind in Dover.
It's not visible on the stamps but it seems it
took only a few days until I got the poem in
the mail today.

Thank you, Bill!

Hi,
I was assured by the postmaster general that because Bukowski may have been a Post Office employee at the time that he wrote this, that they would do their best to not shred them in their machines and would try their best to deliver them fast.

It was either the postmaster general that said it, or I dreamed that it happened and it was just good luck....

Best,
Bill

Good day folks- i was wondering would you be able to send over to Ireland?

if so how much?

its a very nice poem...what did you say the year on it was?

Please e-mail me your mailing address at [email protected] and I'll send one out asap. The postage has been covered by some generous people on this forum.

It was published by Bottle of Smoke Press in 2009, but was written in 1956-7.

Bill

here ya go...

1) Paypal me $1 to [email protected]. That will cover postage and the painfully high fees that Paypal charges,
2) Send me a SASE and I'll throw a broadsides in it and return it.
3) Send me $.50 in the mail (or a couple stamps)
4) Send me an e-mail if you cannot pay postage. There is always one or two people who will send me $5 to cover others postage.

Lexxi,
Just e-mail me your address. Enough people have already covered postage and I have a few buck left to send these out. I never intended to make money off of these, but cannot afford to spend a bunch of money to mail them out free, and many members Paypalled $5 to cover postage, so I'm cool sending out more without needing any more money.

Thanks,
Bill

Got it today, Bill -- thanks. Nice printing job. It's one of those simple poems you can read again and again and it keeps working.

I can imagine Buk sending the manuscript to one of those stuffy quarterlies and the editor writing back "sorry, but there just not much there." No, just enough.

Lexxi,
Just e-mail me your address. Enough people have already covered postage and I have a few buck left to send these out. I never intended to make money off of these, but cannot afford to spend a bunch of money to mail them out free, and many members Paypalled $5 to cover postage, so I'm cool sending out more without needing any more money.

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks Bill! That's very kind of you :). You'll be getting an email.

Lexxi

You made my Monday Bill!
It got here safe and sound today.
Many thanks.

I just got mine today. It's beautiful. I've framed it in an aluminum frame slightly bigger than the broadside. It looks great. - Thanks, Bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't framed mine. I like to touch it. The embossed letters, the structure of the paper...
Too bad it has no bindings to sniff...

now that you mention it ... yeeeah! ... you're right!
The honey comes pretty straight, but I had to go deeper to find the almond. What a flavour!

Nothing beats a good dog poem

Here it is. Arrived today (along with a gratis SA Griffin mini broadside).

Thanks!

Isawatramplastnight-bukowski.jpg

Cool!

Hopefully everyone that asked for one got one by now. I was late sending out the second batch.

If you do not have one, please e-mail or PM me. If I missed you, it was unintentional.

I want to make sure that everyone here that wants one gets one.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back