Bukowski Lives! (1 Viewer)

Hello, everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can give me the titles of some of the music used in "Bukowski Lives!". I haven't been able to find anything on the web or elsewhere and its a really cool set of tunes I'd like to hear.

I don't have the complete scanned CD booklet anymore, but if it helps, the notes state that the music is by
Mozart, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Rossini and others, and the American poet, composer and singer Tom Waits.

That's not very helpful really is it?

bukowski_lives_RU_CD_2003_1 (Custom).jpg

Update: Here's a list of the tunes that I've identified so far:

Track 01 - consummation of grief
Rossini: String Sonata No. 2 in C Major. Andantino
(Berliner Philharmoniker / Herbert von Karajan)

Track 02 - the soldier, his wife and the bum
- Haydn: String Quartet No. 14 in E-Flat Major, Op. 9, No. 2, Hob.III:20: III. Adagio - Cantabile
(Kodaly Quartet)

Track 03 - the genius of the crowd
- Handel: Water Music Suite No. 1 in F Major, HWV 348: II. Adagio e staccato

Track 04 - rain
- Wagner: Die Walküre (The Ride of the Valkyries)

Track 05 - a radio with guts
- Bach: Air "on the G string"

Track 06 - the poetry reading
- Astor Piazzolla: Pulsacion nº: 4

Track 07 - short order
- Bach: Orchestral Suite #2 In B Minor, BWV 1067 - 7. Badinerie

Track 08 - the strongest of the strange
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21 Andante

Track 09 - the last days of the suicide kid
- Vivaldi: Concerto for Violin in G Minor, RV 315, Op. 8:2, "Summer": III. Presto

Track 10 - friendly advice to a lot of young men
- Tom Waits: Fawn

Track 11 - the most
- Tom Waits: Gospel Train / Orchestra

Track 12 - the mockingbird
- Astor Piazzolla: Oblivion (Guitar Soloist Angelo Arienti)

Track 13 - the proud thin dying
- Vivaldi: Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 8, RV 315, "L'estate" (Summer) - II.

Track 14 - helping the old
- Astor Piazzolla and his Quinteto Nuevo Tango: Mumuki

Track 15 - confession
- Handel: Sarabande (piano solo)

Track 16 - fan letter
- Tom Waits: Baby I'm Not A Baby Anymore (Beatrice Theme)

Track 17 - are you drinking?
- Tom Waits: Good Old World (Gypsy Instrumental)

Track 18 - dinosauria, we
- Albinoni: Adagio in G minor

Track 19 - luck
- Astor Piazzolla: Mumuki (piano excerpt)

Track 20 - we ain't got no money, honey, but we got rain
- Tom Waits: Los Angeles Theme (Another Private Dick) / Rain Birds

Wait - my Bukowski-sense is tingling...

Thanks roni.

hank solo. impressive indeed. Great music too. Tom Waits may be the only other I'm more a fan of than Buk.

Hello fellow Buk fans,

I'm new here. Found this forum (and this specific thread) while Googling. I'm very interested in tracking down a copy of 'Bukowski Lives' (mostly for the CD.) I already have a download of it (and I realize it is basically the 'Uncensored' material, just with added music.) It is one of my favorite Bukowski audio recordings.

I suppose my first question is: Was this a real factory pressed silver CD or was it just a CD-R? If it was a CD-R, my interest isn't very strong. If it was a real CD, then I'm interested for collecting purposes (I feel CDs are more 'archival' than downloads or CD-Rs)

My problem is tracking down a copy. I've looked on eBay, Amazon, Discogs, most of the used book sites, Googled, etc. I've searched using the ISBN as well as using Russian characters. I've located a few Russian sites that have sold-out of the book, but nothing in stock or for sale.

Pertinent information I have been using to search:
Bukowski Lives
Избранные стихотворения Чарльза Буковски
"Selected Poems of Charles Bukowski"
Published: The New Cultural Space (2003)
ISBN: 5-902404-04-5 or 5902404045
Barcode: 9785902404040

I found full scans here of the book:
https://vk.com/album-60019141_210649740

If any of you can direct me to seller (or have a copy you wouldn't mind parting with) I would be forever grateful.

Thanks,

Smeg

So is that a Russian comp translated back into English? I've never heard of or seen such a book. That being said, if you're so inclined there is Run With the Hunted from 93' and the 3 new/old/new collections On Love, and On Cats, and On Writing.

http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/3092869/

From the publisher
The collection includes poems of eight books of poetry of Charles Bukowski (Days fly like wild horses over the hills (1969), Mockingbird wished me luck (1972) Burning in water, drowning in flames (1974), Love is a Dog from Hell (1977) playing the drunk piano (1979), You are so lonely at times, causing the sympathy (1986), Madrigals furnished rooms (1988), The Last night of poetry (1992)), which he published "Black Sparrow Press" in American publishing.Selection is made by John Martin, head of the "Black Sparrow Press," especially for Bukowski voiced their works.Recording took place in 1993, a year before his death.The attached to the collection of audio CDs Bukowski's voice sounds the music of Mozart, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Rossini et al., As well as the American poet, composer and singer Tom Waits.The publication is dedicated to the tenth anniversary of the death of Charles Bukowski (1920-1994).

I believe it was limited to 500 copies. Contains both Russian / English translations.

Basically, I want this for the CD. It is the 'Uncensored: Run with the Hunted' tracks (which I already have) with added background music. Great listening experience.

Here is a link to a youtube with one of the tracks:

You're welcome. Let me ask, PhillyDave... Do you think that perhaps I should have posted this in the 'Buy/Sell/Trade' forum instead of replying to this thread in 'Video, Audio, Film'? I thought this was directly on topic, but I'm afraid to re-post this request in another thread (I don't want moderators to think I'm spamming the board).

No, don't worry about it. The mod will move it if need be. Sometimes it's tricky to figure where a comment/question should go.

I understand going on a quest to find a thing, I do, but this is a pretty unremarkable thing really, and hank solo already gave you the guide to recreate it yourself, which you could probably do in a couple hours.

But I've wasted a lot more time on things a lot less less remarkable, so what do I know.

Honestly, I don't even need to re-create it. I have a copy I downloaded (probably from a torrent) many years ago.

I realize some people might be content with downloading a copy (or just watching a video on Youtube) of 'Poems and Insults'. Others might prefer to own the CD or insist on seeking out the original LP. Most people would be perfectly satisfied with a $10 recent printing, paperback copy of Women while others might shell out $800+ for a 1978 Black Sparrow hardcover 1st edition.

True, there isn't much 'special' about a CD (not like an original signature or something more 'personal'). For whatever reason, 'Bukowski Lives' has been the audio recording that I keep going back to. I can't really say why it resonates with me, but I think the music selections are perfectly paired with the poems. It's definitely a little tidbit I wouldn't mind putting a some effort and money into acquiring. Especially after all the times I've listened to the MP3s.

It's funny though. As mentioned above, if I were to discover this was just a homemade CD-R, then I wouldn't be interested any longer. What makes something desirable (or not) to each of us, is a weird thing I guess...

I know someone already figured it out, but the poetry readings on "Bukowski Lives!" are identical to the "Charles Bukowski: Uncensored," however with two additional poems and two alternate takes. I suppose it's up to the listener as to what they'd appreciate more; poetry backed behind music, or poetry backed behind raw nothingness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back