Bukowski Manuscripts, Vol. 1-3 (1 Viewer)

I haven't seen anybody post anything on these volumes: Bukowski: Back to the Machinegun, volumes 1-3. (Have I missed it?)

Anyway, I just got all three. They are great, as you'd expect. The unaltered poems. But I'm still puzzled about what's in them and what's excluded. For example, "The Shoelace" c. 1971 is not in these books, but it's in Mockingbird.

I kinda thought the manuscripts would include everything. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chrisw

I kinda thought the manuscripts would include everything. Any thoughts?
Those books appear to be based on the manuscripts available here, and there's no shoelace manuscript here.

Eventually (and by 'eventually' I mean in 100 years) maybe we'll get collections that are all more or less literal transcriptions of the manuscripts. For now I guess people will do what they need to do to get authentic versions in print.

there's no shoelace manuscript here
oh, I'm sorry!

manuscript_THE-SHOELACE_mm_b_mini.jpg

Just finished Vol. 2. Thanks to all that made it happen. No question, number 1 and 2 were some of (if not) the best collections I have read -- top fucking shelf. Have not read On Love or Essential yet, but I will.

But I'd prefer to read volume 4 from the Machinegun...

There isn't much public information about those books. Last I heard there were more planned, but that was a while ago.

But then there is also work underway, or trying to get underway, to restore the work in the posthumous books. Republish them without the John Martin destruction "editing." If that ever happens, there would be less need for the Machinegun books. Though it's still nice to see those uncollected manuscripts in print.

I like that they are mysterious and hold true to the uncollected manuscripts in untouched form. It's honestly really fucking cool that they exist without any desecration. Thanks for all the knowledge, man; you've truly made me feel welcomed here.

Any news about a vol.4 ?
And about the "work underway" ? I'm afraid that we would have to wait for John Martin to pass away, before to see anything revealed about the posthumous tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back