Bukowski painting in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Check out this very cool Bukowski painting at a gallery opening in New Orleans. i went to the opening last night, its a large canvas, price, $3500

bukowski.jpg

That's a great painting of F. Murray Abraham :)

No, its not that bad really, shame about all of the cliché.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the painting would be much better without the horses, fighters, etc, etc....

Just Buk in front of the liquor store would be perfect.

Bill

Bill

His chin seems a bit too long, and there's too much cliché imagery. Apart from that, it's not too bad...

Just Buk in front of the liquor store would be perfect.

That's right!

Last edited by a moderator:
The shoulders? The left ear?

I'm not sure about the bukowski on the t-shirt. I'd probably like it better just white. The creases also seem a bit awkward, as does the floating placement of the actual "print" on the t-shirt.

It does capture emotion, which I dig...the eyes, nose, beard.

And all the dreamscape images hanging in the air are bothersome, trite.

Cut out the image, remove the print on the t-shirt, give it a black and magenta ghosted-smoke background, and you may have something.

;)

it's sort of like a sterile joe coleman painting.

now that guy would do something interesting with bukowski

It is good work but in my opinion it does allow for imagination and poetry.
I find the grave a little tacky, but hey, what do I know?

Is it painted on black velvet? If it is, I'll buy it (if it's not, it should be). It would look good in my rumpus room up at the cabin, when the boys come to play poker and get really drunk and cry.

Joe Coleman is crazy.

If you can get hold of a copy of Re/Search: Pranks!, the Coleman article is hilarious. In it he talks about going to a friend's high school reunion masquerading as a classmate who had died some time before (apparently he resembled the dead guy), making a complete nuisance of himself and then blowing himself up (he used to do this in his performance pieces by wiring explosives to his chest).

It's a good read.

He also collects serial killer memorabilia.

It is good work but in my opinion it does allow for imagination and poetry.
I find the grave a little tacky, but hey, what do I know?

Alot more than someone who tries to commercialize BUK's life by adding trite shit to a painting attempting to explain him to the viewing public.

Hey, this artist probably spent much time doing this, and has some connection. There are some real nice parts to the work, just not my style.

It's overdone, like a steak that should be bloody as hell, not well-done.

IMO: BUK's face is immortal, how much more is necessary? Capture that, and a novel is written. Perhaps a trilogy...perhaps more...

Pax

new orleans painting of Bukowski

I was at that gallery in New Orleans a few days after the opening--it was an awesome show--the artist is Scott Guion. All the images floating around are intended, successfully, to recollect in a hallucinatory way aspects of B's life--boxing, gambling, his muse on the typewriter, his wife at the grave site--all the images are totally cool and appropriate. It sure isn't fair to compare Guion to Joe Coleman--Michaelangelo couldn't handle the comparison. And Coleman's paintings probably sell for 100,000 bucks these days--if you can get one. This is a young artist with skills enough to give Joe a run for his money in the years to come--at 3500 it's a steal. I tried to get a few of my friends together to buy it--but we're all broke. I went back again to see it a week later and everything in the show had sold--except the Bukowski and the Manson paintings--the owner told me he thought both images were too strong for regular collectors. The Manson is also on the gallery's website

and, we get what those images represent in buk's life, it's just they aren't necessary. the artist does have talent, he just needs some subtlety.

All the images floating around are intended, successfully, to recollect in a hallucinatory way aspects of B's life
Oh really? Gee, I guess none of us really caught that tired, horribly fucking obvious juxtapozed-to-death gimmick.

all the images are totally cool and appropriate.
All the images are totally lame and redundant.

The painting says nothing. Evokes nothing. Is nothing. Just because a painting is executed in a painstaking, semi-realistic way doesn't make it art. Of course splotches named after rock stars that look like they were made by sticking a paint brush in an elephant's ass and following it around for a few minutes rubbing a canvas up against the elephant-ass brush are not art either.

But I digress. What is art? We really need to explore that.

I was at that gallery in New Orleans a few days after the opening--Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.com.... I tried to get a few of my friends together to buy it--but we're all broke. I went back again to see it a week later and everything in the show had sold--except the Bukowski and the Manson paintings--the owner told me he thought both images were too strong for regular collectors. The Manson is also on the gallery's website--Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.com

Oh, do you know the gallery owner? That's interesting. Maybe he'll offer you a discount? Of course, he might worry that you'll start your own gallery. Perhaps he doesn't want the competition.

If I was one of those irregular collectors I'd buy both of them. What's the web address again? I mean, if you can remember.
No, don't worry, I see it. Again.

:rolleyes:

What a bunch of cranky field mice--"Are you drinking?/Are you getting your exercise, your vitamins?" What are your main problems?...apparently that you can't do shit except criticize the efforts of others. Read the Master again, gents; remember HIS remarks upon leaving an art show? I'm a painter, and I treasure his comment

it's more than good
that some of them,
(closer to field mouse than
falcon)
have been bold enough to try

And the painter in question is likely closer to a falcon than you'll ever be--and he is BOLD enough to try. The guy had an almost sell out show in this market!! What URL are you speaking of?? I just checked--it's fine. Go to the archives--the show was last month. Chill out, gents, and respect the homage of others, and maybe we'll put up with your crappy poems. New Orleans loves you.

Look, someone saw the painting, they liked it, so they posted about it. It was discussed, and some folks liked it and some didn't. That's it.

<cranky>Now please don't come around pretending you're not involved with the gallery. Support the artist by all means, just don't bother with the shilling act. Thanks.</cranky>

All the images floating around are intended, successfully, to recollect in a hallucinatory way aspects of B's life

that's all i meant by the joe coleman comparison. no offense to the painter. i checked out the rest of the show and some of it's pretty cool. the buk one is one of the least interesting i'd say, which is probably why it didn't get too warm a reception here or at the gallery.

What a bunch of cranky field mice...
Well we had to look at that awful painting over and over. That would make anyone "cranky."

What dull, typical shit you are flinging. "You disagree with me in a loud and colorful way, so something must be wrong with you!" Yawn.

I'm a painter...
Of course you are. I'll bet everyone loves your art!

When they are standing in front of you.

When I was younger I went to an "art fair" with an accomplished artist. Every time we would stop at a booth to look at the work I would say, "What a load of shit!" or something equally descriptive and honest. The artist I was with pulled me aside and said, "Hey man, you can't do that, the artists are standing right in those booths!" So I asked him if he liked the art and he admitted that he did not. So what was the difference between the reactions of the two of us? Protecting the artist's feelings?

Fuck that. I do not agree with complimenting and encouraging everyone. That every kid on every team should get a trophy and a blue ribbon, win lose or draw. Or that just because "I couldn't do that," it's great art. That is untrue (just like "I could do that" doesn't mean it's bad art).

A lot of "artists" need to be told the truth, but no one will do that. If you suck as a street mime, stage actor or a musician, people avoid your performances, or if they find themselves stuck at one, they boo and throw things at you. Eventually, either way, you get the point. How is an artist supposed to come to the horrible realization that what they are doing is crap if everyone just smiles in their faces?

The art world is exactly like those American Idol kids on the early audition episodes. They are awful by every definition of the word, but no one has ever told them the truth, so they end up embarrassing themselves in front of millions of people. And then after being rejected, proclaiming through their tears that they will never give up!

That's what encouraging the talentless gets us. If you dig that, good for you. I don't.

That painting is dead. No spark. No life. Praising it won't change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back