Bukowski recordings (2 Viewers)

I added the Cold Turkey Press LP and CD, Hostage, There's Gonna Be a God Damn Riot in Here and The Last Straw to the database.

While I was sorting out the DVDs I noted the following in There's Gonna Be a God Damn Riot in Here:

Quick Dream (some of this was incorporated into a longer published poem: Trouble In The Night)
Untitled (Empty Goblet)
Layoff (unpublished)
Trumpets For Strumpets (unpublished)

I thought I was going to finish with these today, but it's a drawn out process, identifying and comparing these things, so I only got through about half of what I have left.

Anyway, added these:

Poems and Insults
Bukowski Reads His Poetry Takoma LP and CD
Bukowski Reads His Poetry Black Sparrow CD (not the same as above)
Underwater Poetry Festival
NOLA Cassette Gazette (a.k.a. King of Poets CD) This one was a little surprising. Of the 23 poems read, I had to add 10 to the database. Which tells me one of two things: we've vastly underestimated the number of poems he wrote, or he lost that batch and never submitted them anywhere. I tend to believe the latter.

My thinking was the interest would be in the product, not the session [...]
that's where opinions differ.
I've been thinking about this, so today I tried to group the individual poem recordings results by the recording session rather than the release, but I didn't lay the database out to work that way, so it's kind of impossible. I'd have to re-do the database tables for the recordings to do the listing that way. It might be worth looking into one day, but not today.

But I made this for you. All of the poems aren't linked to all of the releases yet, so some of those links point to empty pages.

I probably said this already, but adding the recordings was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. Like everything else in life. ;)

Maybe the recording list should mention that the two DVDs from Monday Media (There's gonna be a god damn riot in here & The last straw) were also released in a 2-DVD box containing various bonus material, and that At Terror Street And Agony Way is a 2-CD box? It's just a suggestion.

There's a note about the poems that are in One Tough Mother but not on the single discs.

I was going to add One Tough Mother but it's mostly duplication. But then I suppose there's duplication in a lot of the others too...

Okay, One Tough Mother has been added as two discs (1, 2) and the track listings for the single discs fixed so they no longer include the "bonus" poems.

As for One Tough Mother, you write for both disc one and two:

"This disc includes three poems not on the single disc release of .... : The 9 Horse, I Don't Need A Cleopatra and The Recess Bells Of School."

Were the three poems deleted from both of the single discs? I thought they were deleted from "
There's Gonna Be a God Damn Riot in Here" because they were already on "The Last Straw" since Monday Media did´nt think it was a good idea to have the same poems on both single discs? Of course, my memory my fail me (yet again). I guess I´ll have to check both single discs and find out.

Were the three poems deleted from both of the single discs?
There have been 6 duplicate poems all together and Jon Monday cut 3 from each DVD.
Here's what he wrote:

Untitled-1.png

As for One Tough Mother, you write for both disc one and two:
Where do you see that? They both list different poems as being "extras":

One Tough Mother, Disc 1: There's Gonna Be a God Damn Riot in Here
This disc includes two poems not on the single disc release of There's Gonna Be a God Damn Riot in Here: The Secret Of My Endurance and The Beast.

One Tough Mother, Disc 2: The Last Straw
This disc includes three poems not on the single disc release of The Last Straw: The 9 Horse, I Don't Need A Cleopatra and The Recess Bells Of School.​

6 duplicate poems
I only count five in the finished products.

This is from February of 1964, Bukowski is writing to the Webbs about signing pages for It Catches My Heart In Its Hands (yes, that was published months earlier, but the Webbs took a long time to complete hand binding the full runs of the books), but he also mentions a recording that we don't have listed...

letter1964-02-03-webbs.jpg

I have a couple of minor suggestions. How about noting which CDs are actually 2-CDs, and noting that "Bukowski Reads His Poetry" from Black Sparrow contains a selection of the poems from the 2-CD "At Terror Street And Agony Way"?

How about noting which CDs are actually 2-CDs...
The fields in the database aren't really set up to indicate that. I guess it didn't occur to me, since there's only the one double LP and one double CD. Or two double CDs actually, off the top of my head. But it could be done on the recordings pages, since they don't read from the database anymore. (Done.)

noting that "Bukowski Reads His Poetry" from Black Sparrow contains a selection of the poems from the 2-CD "At Terror Street And Agony Way"?
If I do that then I have to say that Cassette Gazette and King of Poets share tracks, and A Cold Turkey Press Special, 12 Great Americans and Poems and Insults, and 90 Minutes in Hell and 70 Minutes in Hell...then do we say that Hello. It's good to be back and Solid Citizen are the same reading? And Hostage and The Last Straw? I think to put that information in the notes for the individual releases becomes unnecessarily confusing. But it could be done.

I think for anyone who cares about that duplication the page that orders the releases by recording date does the trick. But I suppose there's some value in knowing which tracks might be duplications. It would have to be based on the source though, the recording dates.

I don't want to say something like Bukowski Reads His Poetry is taken from At Terror Street And Agony Way because I'm pretty sure it isn't. They share the same source, but one isn't taken from the other, if you see what I mean.

I think for anyone who cares about that duplication the page that orders the releases by recording date does the trick. But I suppose there's some value in knowing which tracks might be duplications. It would have to be based on the source though, the recording dates.

I don't want to say something like Bukowski Reads His Poetry is taken from At Terror Street And Agony Way because I'm pretty sure it isn't. They share the same source, but one isn't taken from the other, if you see what I mean.
Right, the the page that orders the releases by recording date indeed does the trick. Sorry, I had´nt noticed that page. :oops:
True, "Bukowski Reads His Poetry" probably was´nt taken from "At Terror Street And Agony Way", but from the original tape, or a from a copy of the original tape. I think the recording date page with all the releases have it all. It clearly mentions which CD (and other media) titles contains the same material and which CDs are double CDs and that's the information I thought should be there so that's just great. Thanks! :)

I stumbled on this by accident while looking for uncollected poems.

Has anyone noticed that a lot (maybe a majority) of the poems Bukowski gave at readings were not in Black Sparrow books at the time?

I have not clicked through all the poems in the Recordings list, but I have done some random samples to try and confirm this and it seems to be the case.

If it is true, any theories as to why?

I imagine he wanted to read things that were fresh to him, so they hadn't had time to show up in books yet.

On a side note, I finally listened to the Beat Scene flexi-disc (thanks @Jason), and it's just two tracks from the Hamburg reading, not, as I had previously listed, a home reading done for Beat Scene. Not sure who told me, or where I read that it was a home recording, but there you go, it's correct now.

Looking at the timeline and how many readings he did in the 1970s, I can't believe there are not bootleg recordings out there from those non-documented readings.

By "non-documented" I meant readings where a commercially released record was never made of the reading. (I know, bad way to say it).

I would just think that at most of those readings there was at least one geek with a tape recorder, but there seems to be very few recordings available out there.

Yeah, I picked up on what you meant. I just always assumed that we only had a fraction of the readings on the timeline and now that I look at the date on that quote (early 1974) that could still be the case.

I'm surprised too that more recordings haven't surfaced. I assume someone was always taping. But it isn't easy for the average Joanne to get something from tape to computer, so maybe it's not so surprising.

It's also funny that we don't see more of them on eBay.

if anyone has any tapes they need digitized, i can do it. i'm currently scouting eBay for bootlegs or recordings that aren't going to break my bank as well as haven't been released over and over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back