BUKOWSKI Vs LEBOWSKI (1 Viewer)

I think Bukowski would probably kick the Dudes ass!

Bukowski was introduced to me through my older brother and now ive introduced my older brother to Fante etc... His books make me happy to know some people are truly born to be great.

"The Dude Abides" in my eyes Bukowski was the true living Dude!

I think I can learn alot from Bukowski.net.

About time someone ripped on that Lewbowski bs! Hated the movie because it was hyped up. Where as Charles Bukowski could stand on his own!

Bukowski would kick the Dude's ass.

Someone on here wrote or rumored that the Coen Brothers ( creators of the Dude ) are or were influenced by Bukowski. They may come in and give us their time and knowledge.

Somewhere else in here the speculation that the Coen Brothers would make a movie out of something Bukowski wrote-again wishful thinking or rumor. We do know John Turturro mentions Bukowski influences when interviewed about his movie. Romance and Cigarettes.

And all of this was learned on this site. Rumors and Propaganda the American way. In case you are a superficial Lebowski fan John Turturro is The Jesus as in Don't fuck with the Jesus.

About time someone ripped on that Lewbowski bs! Hated the movie because it was hyped up. Where as Charles Bukowski could stand on his own!

Please don't go there. There are too many good things about the movie and Jeff Bridges portrayal of the Coen Brothers character 'The Dude'.
I have met people like 'the Dude' and obviously Bukowski is one in 6 billion.
The real question is how much Bukowski influence went into the writing if any.

The name of the movie hits a nerve- in a good way.;)

The Big Lebowski is a fantastic film and Bridges is brilliant in it. I'd love to see a Coen brother's take on some Bukowski material, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Something about Barton Fink always reminded me of Arturo Bandini. Or maybe of Fante himself. I wouldn't say that this is an expert view - my reading of Fante is limited, so maybe it's just the frustrated scriptwriter vibe.

Carry on...

I'd love to see a Coen brother's take on some Bukowski material

Post Office. . . Ham on Rye. . . Women . . .
done by the Coen Brothers? Fuck yeah.

Something about Barton Fink always reminded me of Arturo Bandini. Or maybe of Fante himself. I wouldn't say that this is an expert view - my reading of Fante is limited, so maybe it's just the frustrated scriptwriter vibe.

Yeah. Barton Fink stunk of what happened
to Fante. It was a brilliant movie. . . I loved it.

the coen brothers would be the only people I would trust to do a movie based on Buk's work. that would be absolutely awesome if they tried it.

the big lebowski is one of the all time great movies. I can almost see where Never Try is coming from because I talked the movie up to my brother so much that he didn't like it the first 5 times he watched it...eventually, the damage my over-hyping did wore off and he is now able to enjoy it.

Personally, I don't care how hyped up someone made it, I would still love it...but I guess I can see how that could fuck things up.

Fave scene in Lebowski:

[while dunking the Dude's head in the toilet]

Blond Treehorn Thug: Where's the money, Lebowski? Where's the f*cking money, sh*thead?
The Dude: It's uh... uh... it's down there somewhere, let me take another look.

Ahhh. Dude Quotes. . .

The Dude: Let me explain something to you; I am
not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So
that's what you call me. You know, that or uh, His
Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into
the whole brevity thing.

"Hey, Hank, there's one more thing."
- "What is it?"
- "Why do you have to use so many cuss-words?"
- "What the Fuck are you talking about?!"

(from 'The Big Barfly' i think.)

There's one thing, that almost spoiled the Big Lebowski for me:
That Donnie dies.
I find it bad dramaturgy in a comedy to build up a character, one is willing to give his sympathy, and then all of a sudden let him die. That's maybe okay for a tragedy (Hamlet) or a psycho thriller (7). Even the very good joke with Donnies ashes isn't worth this dramaturgic mis-move.

- "Why do you have to use so many cuss-words?"
- "What the Fuck are you talking about?!"

(from 'The Big Barfly' i think.)

Sam Elliott as The Stranger. Awesome moustache.

Poor old Donnie. Another great performance.

The most laugh out loud bit for me was immediately after that, when the Dude is in the Malibu police chief's office and the chief has just given him the big jerk-off speech.

DUDE: That guy treats women like objects, man.

CHIEF: Mr. Treehorn draws a lot of water in this town, Lebowski. You don't draw shit. We got a nice quiet beach community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around bothering our citizens, Lebowski. I don't like your jerk-off name, I don't like your jerk-off face, I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off - do I make myself clear?

DUDE: I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

What happens next is sooo funny. :D

There is nothing as brilliant as the African American taxi driver listening to the Eagles and refuses to turn it off.

"I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man."
How much if any, Bukowski influence is in this movie? Besides the name and the apartment (looks like Delongpre), the behind on the rent and a few other things.

Bukowski probably would have killed a Walter Sobchak John Goodman.

I love the moment where The Dude thinks he's about to crack the case wide open by running a flat pencil over the impressions Jackie Treehorn left on his notepad...give me 100 years to think of it & I'd still never get to that joke!

Oh, & single car crashes always get me too. When The Dude hits the dumpster...gets me every time.

How many of us own a copy of The Big Lebowski? ( I'm raising my hand ) There are thousands of funny things and and situations in the movie.

Here this is for the readers -of this thread- who have not seen the movie:

or if you love John Turturro:

I do.

from the IMDB quotes site.

Blond Treehorn Thug: [holding up a bowling ball] What the fuck is this?
The Dude: Obviously you're not a golfer.

jesus, and the one car dumpster scene indeed...

The cool thing I like about the Big Lebowski is that the first time you watch it you think Walter is Nuts (although he is in many ways) but when you watch it again and again you realise that everything that Walter says about the Kidnapping is spot on.

Classic!

Goodman rules

This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass. - Walter Sobchak

just absolutely, puke yourself hoarse, funny

here:

[This video is unavailable.]

The cool thing I like about the Big Lebowski is that the first time you watch it you think Walter is Nuts (although he is in many ways) but when you watch it again and again you realise that everything that Walter says about the Kidnapping is spot on.

Classic!

It is also true that despite drawing a firearm during league play, Walter is much calmer than The Dude in many ways. The Dude gets totally worked up every time he is around him. And as Walter says, he's:

"Calmer than you are."

Do they use the Iron lung anymore?

It made for a nice touch in the movie.

How does this compare to Bukowski? = Creative genius.

Would " The Stranger" have been a "bowling alley bar fly" ?

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs...

Oh shit...good catch.

I actually missed that line despite some 20 or 30 (or 40) viewings of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back