Bukowski's home is safe! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, nymark! Accoring to the article the city council has'nt voted yet but it looks like there's a good chance they'll vote to preserve Buk's former home, since the city's Cultural Heritage Commision are in favour of preservation...

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that about a week ago and would have posted it here but got too busy.

That's good news. I'd hate to see his Delongpre place torn down.

From the article

"You know, I don't know this guy," said inventor Lorraine Marshall, (a neighbor). "I love poetry but come on -- it's a crappy old bungalow. People can go a little overboard"

heh heh

All you locals might find yourselves on patrol duty each day if the land under the bungalow is valuable.

We had a particular "Heritage Listed" property here with a little house on it, hand built and lived in by an early Premier and his family.

Unfortunately the land it was on soared in value and the current owner was refused a demolition request.

So what did he do? Yep! He demolished it. That act attracted a $50,000 fine but given the land was worth well over a million... what did he care.

Seems the maximum fine allowed did not keep pace relative to land value.

Indeed, the fine to tear it down is a pittance compared to the profit to be made. Also, the concept of leaving something in Los Angles "substantially as it was" often means leaving a corner of the front wall standing and building a McMansion around it. The term for that around here is a "remodel."

Fact: the rent you could get for those tiny bungalows will never equal the cost to purchase and renovate the place. DeLongre will fall. It's just a matter of when.

"Remodel". Yeah don't you just love those "euphemistic dysphemisms". The term "gentrifying" was a term knocked around here for a while a few years back.

"DeLongre will fall. It's just a matter of when." How bloody outrageous that any city would want to lose its heritage. Of course 50 years after its knocked down, there'll be a whole lot of breast beating over what was lost.

"Crappy old bungalow"? "DelongPre will fall"? -- what about Abe Lincoln's log cabin? Was that a crappy old log cabin? Well, it probably was if you had to winter in it. You're right, mjp. The owner will probably torch it some night to free up the property. I, for one, would be sad to see it go.

Maybe it will turn into some dump where alcoholics sit around drinking
beer out of the cans. Quite frankly I'm horrified at this thought.

1422116664_46dbd1e84a_o.jpg

See now that's the kind of shameless disregard for culture and heritage that is so wrong with the world. No doubt this is recently taken in that Bukosski bloke's bungalow.

Look at the bloody idiot in the pic. Pissing it up, filthing out the place, Wasting his life. Whadda knobhead.

Anyone know him? Wonder where he is now? Dead in a ditch somewhere, no doubt.

Yup, it's Linda. Am I the only one who loves that old bungalow? The one time I visited it, when it was still occupied (but not by Bukowski), the neighborhood was "colorful." I remember a beater car being driven by what looked to my innocent eyes like a down and out hooker, right by Buk's former address. Trashy sidewalks. It was eery, like walking around in a chapter of Post Office.

'Garcetti said the hard-drinking writer, best known for chronicling his own seedy life on the gritty streets of Los Angeles, deserved to be remembered even though he was "not necessarily a guy you'd want to be friends with."'

So true!

'Garcetti said the hard-drinking writer, best known for chronicling his own seedy life on the gritty streets of Los Angeles, deserved to be remembered even though he was "not necessarily a guy you'd want to be friends with."'

So true!

A lot of people wanted to be friends with Bukowski but he wasn't open to the idea. Most people disgusted him.

Are you two about to start swinging purses at each other again? I hope not.
Let's all make up, go to Spain and rob cirerita's bookshelves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back