Bukowski's home probably not safe at all, actually (1 Viewer)

I took these about 30 min ago.

2301780837_63bf25df71_z.jpg 2301779167_bb03f79fc5_z.jpg 2302573632_5e9f8f586a_z.jpg

Hi,
This is what happens when you force someone to not sell their property. If the preservationists were so concerned, they should have raised the oney to buy the property. The trick that they can now pull is to make it uninhabitable for humans. They could go in there and bust a few pipes. They'll let that sit and mold for a while. Then it will be condemned and torn down. That is what I would do if I owned a property that the city would not let me sell and would not let me tear down. I'd do a whoops and bust a pipe before leaving for a long weekend. Then I'd let it stew for a month or two until the only safe thing to do is tear it down.

Or they can do what they did here recently. Just hire a crew on the weekend, when the town council cannot stop them until it is too late. This seems to be the route that they are taking. By the time the town council convenes on Monday, it will be destroyed and they will be pissed and may actually fine the owner a little bit, but that cannot put it back and they can now sell it as a parking lot or Starbucks.

Of course, even the owner knew that Nazi argument was bullshit, but when that did not work there were other options that can get them what they want.

If I were you, Chinaski, I'd drive by and bribe one of the guys there for some of the drywall debris as a momento before it goes in that 30 yard roll off trash dumpster that they have outside.

If you want to mess with the owner, call the police. The building is probably loaded with Asbestos and unless they are careful, they can endanger others in the neighborhood.If they do not have a building permit or a demolition permit, they are probably breaking the law. Of course, this will not stop the destruction of the building, but it would be fun to mess with the lady who thought that she could label Buk as a NAZI and that everyone would run (I admit, I would have run).

Bill

p.s. Of course, they could just be ripping out old carpet, drywall, fixtures, etc to fix it up.... and make it look modern and completely lose any connection to Bukowski.

Bill that is a great idea to ask for a small piece of the debris... wish that I were in l.a. right now!

I'd grind up some of the plaster (it is probably not drywall) and mix it into a batch of handmade paper, or into my ink.....

Bill

Hey 2fish and Bill;
I'll drive out there tonite with a crowbar and loot the place. Place your orders....I 'm thinking of taking the glass he stared through.

and then the people will look like flowers at last.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

sorry. carry on.

I don't have a very big truck. I wonder how the hell I got myself into this mess.
Let's see breaking and entering, distruction of private proprty, vandalism, stealing dirt....hmmm just how dedicated am I.
I know the next post is, "whats the matter are you chicken?"

I wonder how the hell I got myself into this mess.

I know. Opening one's mouth on the internet usually leads to no good.

Hell, lie to us: Stay at home, drink a few beers, and post tomorrow "Hell can you guys pool up $5,000 for bail?" You come out on top! ;)

I don't REALLY need a bathroom tile, so do as you may. I would like to see Bill make some paper out of the wall board though.

I want my SHIT, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

just kidding. stay home. watch a movie. read a book.
bottom line, it's just a building, no matter who lived there. I have plenty of pics of Buk living high on DeLongpre to remind me of the signifigance.
ashes, ashes, dust dust.
or what have you.

If the shit is in the 30 yard roll-off then it is trash. Also, the more that you take from their trash, the less they have to pay for. Those are cherged either by the load or by the pound, depending on the deal that they work out. That being said, you could still get busted for trespassing if you have to scale that fence to get to the dumpster.

Don't let us pressure you. I'd feel bad if you ended up in jail...

Of course, it would make for an interesting story.

Bill

Let's see breaking and entering, distruction of private proprty, vandalism, stealing dirt....hmmm just how dedicated am I.

c'mon man don't let us down.. we'll put out a jar at the next buk.net party,.."donations for our brothers in jail". ;)

Put me down for a tile or whatever you can find...

Btw, I don't think anybody would be jailed for "stealing" some garbage. Hell, you can come and "steal" my garbage anytime...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
Just wanted to clear something up- someone bought this property. There are MAJOR fines for tearing something down without a demo permit (see Jonnie's Broiler in Downey and the subsequent drama which has now stretched out a over a year). It really would not make any sense for someone to buy this property and get themselves into that mess.
That said, they are probably just starting remodeling.

Just wanted to clear something up- someone bought this property.
That's a relief! I wonder who bought it and what their plans are - and how that's going to impact the preservations of the bungalows. If they're going to be preserved, that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
So they could have bought it to turn into a mixed use law office, or would it have to be something literary? Could they gut it and make the insides ultra-modern?

I'm not sure about the fines there, but here they are very small compared to what can be made by doing the demolition. I would think that LA would have a better handle on it, though.

I will say that it seems odd to have a 30 yard roll off for some minor renovations on a bungalow. A dumpster that size would probably fit every bit of material from the studs out. How many units are there? Are they only "renovating" the Bukowski unit or the neighbors also. Again, this is a big dumpster if they are just taking out the carpet and removing wallpaper....

Bill

This must be proof that I am a follower. I feel almost high from the feelings of pure peer pressure. I do work well under pressure. Let's see what the day brings.
I am really curious about the paper. The paper would be priceless.

L.A. is the kingdom of termites. It could be that all of the floors and much of the other wood in the building is termite-eaten and rotted out. The problem with this theory is that you would expect there to be some stacks of new lumber around to shore up what they're pulling out.

Listen man, They are gutting that place no matter what. So if you want fucking debris I can go get some debris with Gerard. All I have is a Honda Fit though, so no one get any windows.

Too bad I don't work over near that shithole neighborhood anymore, but maybe I can make a trip over and see what's up. But this is like dead people's ashes in an urn...you don't know if the trash is from Bukowski's place or the fifth door back.

And Hindinwood, get with it, they don't need to completely demo it to effectively tear it down.

And I wish they would fucking tear it down already and get it over with so I don't have to watch hindinwood's esotouric jerk-off friends pointing at the renovated "bungalows" where people who make $150,000+ a year live. What a load of shit.

But Bill, for you I will get you that deLongpre plaster/dust. How much do you need? It is a done deal.

Mjp; I know this is your board, and I respect that. However, I wish that you would be a little less cynical, just sometimes at least. Frankly, you were wrong about this working, you were wrong about the Nazi thing sticking, and maybe you are right about this situation, but maybe not - just give it a chance ya? Yes, they can and WILL renovate the interior, but guess what, it was sitting boarded up for over six months, so frankly what else would they do to make it habitable?? At least people can cruise by and check it out. That's all I wanted anyway.
Also, I have a "working relationship" (for lack of a better term) with Richard and Kim, and I really respect them. BUT, I have never spent time with them socially, or even been on their tour. Thus, I would appreciate it if you stop referring to us as if we were in cahoots. Well that's not true, we are in cahoots - to save this property. That's it.
As a final thought, I find it ironic that some of you want parts of the structure as momentos, but don't care if it's torn down. Placing importance on it in some ways, but not in others. Odd, no??

Mjp; I know this is your board, and I respect that.
Respect? Don't start out with a lie, it tends to lessen the believability of what comes next. It's not my forum anyway. There are other users here who can delete what I'm typing to you right now if they think it's out of line.

However, I wish that you would be a little less cynical, just sometimes at least.
Why?

Frankly, you were wrong about this working
I was?

...you were wrong about the Nazi thing sticking
Only time will tell if that it is the case. You can't say it "didn't stick" yet.

That's all I wanted anyway.
Why is what you wanted more important that what I wanted? Or the owner of the property wanted?

Also, I have a "working relationship"...with Richard and Kim...BUT, I have never spent time with them socially...Thus, I would appreciate it if you stop referring to us as if we were in cahoots.
You are/were "in cahoots" with them as it related to your introduction to this forum and, and that is the only way I know you, so that's what I was talking about (again and again). A cynical person might wonder why every article about DeLongpre mentions both of you.

I find it ironic that some of you want parts of the structure as momentos, but don't care if it's torn down. Odd, no??
No.

I don't give a fuck if DeLongpre stands or falls. It makes no difference to me. I do understand, however, that others disagree. Why can't you understand that?

How long did Bukowski live there? When this all begin on his old house? I wonder what Linda thinks of it? Thanks for the pics. I wouldn't want anything as a souvenir from his old house anyway.

He lived there for about 9 years - longer than anywhere else in LA besides childhood residence and San Pedro.
Linda is not into it. I see where she is coming from, but I think she's not seeing it in context. She seems to think it's some kind of a shrine, where as I see it as being a part of Los Angeles history in a larger sense.

As a final thought, I find it ironic that some of you want parts of the structure as momentos, but don't care if it's torn down. Placing importance on it in some ways, but not in others. Odd, no??
Not ironic at all. I have said that it is only a matter of time until it is torn down and am fine with that. Making it an upscale yuppie neighborhood or painting the thing green, gutting it and making it a chiropractors office does the same thing as levelling the building and making it a parking lot.

I want to create something (a book) with the debris that will far outlive the structure.

See, not ironic, at all!

Bill

well I for one was just (kind of) joking about all of this (kind of). and personally I think that saving things that have once "been" is kind of like saving love letters from past relationships. it may have meant something then, but now its past and gone. and to save one building while everything around it changes? just not the same as it was. I think that its not the house that was so important to Buks writing but the atmosphere of the whole scene/area and the way that Buk (was) related to it. I'm sure that it must be different now. but yeah, I would still keep a tile as a momento.

The Mission to our Shrine

So I drove past the chain link wrapped mess on DeLongpre in the wee hours of the morning. I parked up close and let the dog out to pee, he loves going for a ride. After much to do with getting over the fence and securing the corgi I found myself inside the compound. The dog was pissed being tied up in a strange place but he alerted me to the light shining inside the boarded up apartment. I approached the door cautiously and it suddenly open with a bright and radiant glare and there he was in a blaze of glory looking at me.
"what the fuck are you doing here you peon?"
I was frozen unable to move or make the slightess sound.
Then Hank took a big draw from his bottle of St Paulie Girl beer with the bottle straight up like he wanted to take in the beer in one swig.
And he glared and shined and softly said, "There's nothing of me here in this mess. Not anymore." He took another drink. "My spirit is in San Pedro with the love of my life and our cats." He slammed the door and I heard him say
"Take your funny little dog and go back to hell where you came from and stay away from San Pedro!"
I jumped the fence grabbed up the dog and sped back to the outland empire.
When I woke up I had, scratches on my forearms a bad headache, and a little bag of dirt on the nightstand. Mullinax would be proud because I remember he said San Paydro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back