Calhounian poems at Word Catalyst (1 Viewer)

In September, editor Shirley Allard is going to feature three poems and an essay on my relationship with R.E.M...
I look forward to reading that, as I had an unfortunate one day relationship with R.E.M. back in 1981. What a load of arrogant cunts. I like to think that maybe they grew out of that phase.

Of course I'd like to think the same about myself, but it is not always the case.

Yeah, I have heard horror stories of R.E.M. and what anuses they (particularly Michael Stipe) were. One about how in the early days of their fame, Stipe didn't want people to sit close to him on the plane. So he would drool and hang his head on his chest and act as if he were spastic.

But like you, I hope they grew out of that. The new CD is, for me, an almost shocking return to form ... like, they were wandering in the wilderness for 12 years, and for some reason found their way back. Of course, because like most men I relate everything to myself, I really identify with their comeback. :D

If you would care to share your R.E.M. story, I'll bet there would be a lot of interest on this site ... definitely from this neck of the woods. (As if the woods have necks ...)

If you would care to share your R.E.M. story, I'll bet there would be a lot of interest on this site ... definitely from this neck of the woods. (As if the woods have necks ...)
Well, I've written it up, but it's part of a much longer thing I'm working on. I may end up changing it slightly, so I don't know if I want to excerpt it here right now.

Suffice it to say, this was way before they were flying anywhere. They were in a van with all their equipment, just like the rest of us. We opened for them in a small Madison, WI club. They had one single out - that's it - and they seemed to be under the impression that they were the Beatles or Elvis Presley or something. Actually, the Beatles and Elvis Presley probably behaved with more humility during their peak periods of fame.

I should say that the drummer was the only member of the group who wasn't a dick, but I ended up insulting him, so our ostracization was complete. Ha.

Cool story. That must have been back around '81 and the single would have been "Radio Free Europe," still one of my fave songs of theirs. Despite their being jerks, it's pretty cool that you opened for them. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back