can u help? (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for a Buk poem I read years ago but I cant remember where or when. One line was "this old man's a son-of-a-bitch" or something similar and another is something like "every time you see him some woman has just left forever--he tries to play it off with bravado" I know its not much but if anybody knows where its from I appreciate the help

I have no idea, but I once wandered around for years thinking Steinbeck wrote this crazy short story about two guys who had sex with a dead woman and let her go into the ocean, and I SWORE it was in a collection with Of Mice and Men and I swore that the reason it was all so surreal was because reading the two stories back to back was too much, but I searched and I searched and I tried to find the short story and I asked everyone I knew, or who would listen, and then one day I was rereading some Bukowski, and sure enough, Bukowski wrote the crazy story. Of course it was Bukowski. Anyway, you'll find your poem one day. Start reading...

can you help?

Hey dermaface, we're glad you're here and all , but you haven't said anything in over two weeks. make a post. Tell us what(or who) you had for dinner. make an ass of yourself somehow you know how to do that. Jump back in the water, all the other freaks miss you.

" I am an ass. Hath not an ass a hole? Hath not an ass the possiblity of fecal secretions? If you prick us do we not shit all over you? If you poison us do we not fart noxious fumes at will? If you tickle us do we not bay like a jackass? And if you wrong us in a pleonastic sense by calling us a dumb ass do we not call you a shit-hole? If I am an ass, will I not resemble all Buk freaks and seek revenge? Ponder that all the Assholes in the World and Mine. You ask , who did I eat for dinner? I am the Jeffrey Daumer of this Buk site. I used to eat guys like you for breakfast.The villany you teach me I will execute, and the shit will come out hard at first but I will better the instruction . Then it will come to pass that my shit,as Bukowski's poems, will come out like Buk's first beershit in the morning. And you will look in amazement and exclaim, what a crock of shit!That's right turd. You will shit your pants when I have a shit fit. Then you will be shit out of luck.You are on my shit list now. Why should I put up with all your bullshit, you chickenshit?

With apologies to William Shakespeare, The Merchent of Venice

I think it's kind of funny that he took a canned message personally.

His rants aren't my cup of tea. They stink of pose to me, and I have a pretty good nose.

I'll give that one...let's see...a 3 on a 10 scale. I've seen better.

Far from taking the post personally-I laughed at it. Then I read your bitchy note. Only an arrogant person would presume to know how I felt. Remember, MJP;" Life is serious Art is fun." Relax.Go to a movie.Take a walk. Get laid. Have Linda Bukowski teach you yoga. Get away from posting 7.65 times per day on your site and making "Ink Art" whatever the fuck that is. Thank God noone else does it "quite the same".I find it insipid "art" accompanied by tired aphorisms. In this age of increasing ecological awareness, I give everything I read "the tree test". I asked myself, is MJP's ink art worth the trees sacrificed for its creation? It ain't Picasso and it sure is not Bukowski so NO. Take a chance, write a poem or do a painting, but for God's sake get out of the uncomfortable middle. I do want to thank you, however, for all you do for Bukowski freaks. It is a lot. Just lighten up.

dermaface
you have done shylock proud...proud indeed!
as for shakespeare..."rail...let him lack reverend estimation!" (a.4,s.1)
as did shakespeare so did bukowski (write of the people) he knew so well -
from a "simple coming-in" (a.2, s. 2) this too was bukowski...

rail again'st assholes! (smiles)

rrat

dermaface said:
Far from taking the post personally...
dermaface, you magnificent ranting bastard! You get the Codger of the Year Award. keep spouting nonsense; it keeps one young.

First of all, anyone lucky enough to have Linda Buk teach them yoga would count themselves fortunate indeed, so quit casting aspersions in that general direction, you fiendish flea on a hyena?s hind-end.

As for mjp (who needs no defending, as I?m sure he can quite fight his own battles) let me point out that his 7.65 I find quite informative; what you call ?tired aphorisms? is a criticism that has, from you, a ring of jealousy, probably in that you didn?t think them up (they are quite original, I find). And as for drawings & words together; well you, as a well-known Buk mimic, know (as many of us are; I don?t cast derision on following in the footsteps of the master), Buk himself was a words-plus-drawing kind of guy; so your nabob of negativism here holds no more water than your weakened and distended bladder after a case of Schlitz 16 ouncers. And furthermore, as a nod to ecological responsibility and resource conservation, mjp?s finding a use for these old & dusty tomes that could end up in landfill, is quite ingenious, as well as imaginative AND adds to the overall look & feel of the art. As far as ?It ain't Picasso and it sure is not Bukowski? that is a compliment, I?m sure, of the highest order. In the end, everyone?s art must stand alone.

So, you cross-eyed son of a fiddler?s bitch (Carl Sandburg, thanks), Have at it?and rail to the heavens; the clouds await your vociferous rodomontade, lalling, and general alalia.

SD

Whatever you say, Ace. You're the genius.

I am no genius but I can spot a jealous, underachieving, arrogant pain in the ass, with an underdeveloped sense of humor a mile away. By the way, I do not allow strangers calling me dude, pal, buddy, friend or ace, o.k. ace.

Does EVERY SINGLE thread turn into one member bashing another?! Once the second page comes up, I duck, for fear of flying shit...but I actually feel lucky when it's not directed at me...hee hee, I said shit...oh, yeah, that's been done here before...has anyone seen that episode of South Park with the shit-meter? Wouldn't that be cool if there was one here?

Elissa said:
Does EVERY SINGLE thread turn into one member bashing another?!
Obviously not.

Is every one of your posts going to continue to point out what a contentious, ugly place this is when that couldn't be further from the truth?

Yeah, I'm proud of this law-abiding:cool: / courteous group here.....
I vote Elissa off the island
(And no, I'm a loser, have never seen an episode of Survivor):D

mjp said:
Is every one of your posts going to continue to point out what a contentious, ugly place this is when that couldn't be further from the truth?

Obviously not.

I haven't continued to point out anything, except maybe you're a jerk.

And to think I wrote that post because someone was being rude to YOU.

I think you would shoot your hand for scratching your ass.

By the way, I'd rather be voted off than in prison for tax evasion. Where's the boat?

Any chance of creating a graveyard for axed members?
Maybe just a page with all their names and some witty epitaphs we can supply, trying to outvie each other in cleverness.
Or perhaps a thread where we can reminisce, if we so desire.

Good idea,
Tho I'm getting a little uncomfortable with how BIG this place is becoming!!
I think there should be some test that 'newbies' have to pass
To become a forum-access-participator :)

A test like->.....,
Ok, someone please finish this test idea :)

I'd hesitate to institute any test. I know that I knew very little about Buk before joining this thing, and most of what I have learned has come through this here forum and some things that people here have directed me to. So a general knowledge test on Buk's life or works would be a bad idea.
But, what about some sort of statement of interest, a reason for wanting to join. As long as I'm not the one who has to sort through it all :p

Most of the banned users are spammers, which is pretty uninteresting. So far I think only Sean and Elissa have been banned for troll/pest reasons. The user moderation has given me a chance to nuke most of the recent spammers before they get a chance to post.

Actually, I'd rather not ban anyone. But I guess I'm trying to maintain the non-lethal atmosphere, and nip the cranks and annoyances in the bud before they drive anyone off.

We've had our disagreements and flare-ups but they've all worked out. There's bound to be friction whenever there are a lot of strong personalities in one place, and I'd like to think we can just deal with that when it happens and move on. But anyone who is just annoying for the sake of sport and not contributing anything else will definitely get the axe.

Actually there's something even better than banning for real nut cases, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. ;)

Hi,
My vote is just that they don't just jump in and let the insults fly. We don't know them well enough to take their preaching that we are some literary version of Trekkies.....

Best,
Bill (hard-core nerd and still right-handed) Roberts

mjp,
for the record, I love you all, in a fraternal, non-bisexual kind of way.

Best,
Bill (loves him some women) Roberts

p.s. I'm not a Nazi, either....

You know, it occurs to me that this particular thread - where I've been called a "jealous, underachieving, arrogant pain in the ass" - might not be the place to discuss this...

;)

It figures she would resurrect this one.

for the record, I love you all, in a fraternal, non-bisexual kind of way.

I second that emotion.:D M.J.P I apologize if I started the rampage of our dear departed sister. Sometimes people who do not know me cannot tell when I am joking which in turn sets off certain responses on their part and, then my sensitive part is touched,which in turn trips the lever to my ugly mean spirited self, and soon I am a poor imitation of Buk after 2 bottles of wine and some beer thinking that someone has put the hit on Linda King (who told me in a semi-lucid moment, "I lived with Bukowski. Do you think I'm afraid of you?" ). Thank you all for not sending me to Coventry. Forgive me Bukophiles I know not what I do. Ask Bill Roberts who knows me best. I have no friends and live in isolation , my only contact with the outside world are women with ankle bracelets who sneak out to have me read passages from Love is a Dog From Hell

No worries. There's room for everyone here, as long as their sole purpose isn't to stir up discontent and infighting.

dermaface said:
I have no friends and live in isolation , my only contact with the outside world are women with ankle bracelets who sneak out to have me read passages from Love is a Dog From Hell

What a great line. Wish I'd written that.

David the Ass

I've been called a "jealous, underachieving, arrogant pain in the ass"

How come no one ever calls me a "jealous, underachieving, arrogant pain in the ass" ?
Some people get all the fun.

No. I don't know the answer to the question which started this thread:

I'm looking for a Buk poem I read years ago but I cant remember where or when. One line was "this old man's a son-of-a-bitch" or something similar and another is something like "every time you see him some woman has just left forever--he tries to play it off with bravado" I know its not much but if anybody knows where its from I appreciate the help

yeah, when someone takes the time to insult your work like that, it means you're doing something right.
I'm being serious. I'd rather an attack than a compliment about something I've written. sometimes a violent reaction is better than "o, I liked it. it was interesting." that's what my mother is for. well, was for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back