Cancer of the eyeball, the grammar of life, a need for glue - pulse - No. 4 - 1971

There is a Buk letter to Norman Moser dated 12-16-70 on the PBA site and it looked interesting so I tracked it down and it is published in The Illuminations Reader which I just received today. I uploaded the whole letter which I thought was interesting.

Then there are some Buk poems from Pulse no. 4 which are "a need for glue" which we have on the database, then two--"cancer of the eyeball" and "THE GRAMMAR OF LIFE" which I don't think are listed in the database.

Then there are three poems and I believe what we have as "vaudeville revelation" is not by Buk, but by Blazek.

Same for a poem a few pages later "A Point of Reference" which is listed on database by Buk but is by Neal Bockman.

But what about "EPITAPH FOR A NATION OF INDIVIDUALISTS"? Is that also by Blazek or Buk? I assume Blazek since it is on same page?

Buk Poems 00111.jpg

Buk 1 001-111.jpg

cirerita

Founding member
David,

I'm almost sure there are 3 B. poems only in Pulse plus the letter to Moser. The "Epitaph..." poem must be by Blazek. I'll take a look at the Blazek biblio when I get back home...

d gray

tried to do his best but could not
Founding member
and "THE GRAMMAR OF LIFE" which I don't think are listed in the database.

he reads one with that title on 'king of poets' cd but it's slightly different.

edit - just found this undiscovered film of him reading it!

mjp

Founding member
"cancer of the eyeball" and "THE GRAMMAR OF LIFE" which I don't think are listed in the database. [...] Then there are three poems and I believe what we have as "vaudeville revelation" is not by Buk, but by Blazek. [...] Same for a poem a few pages later "A Point of Reference" which is listed on database by Buk but is by Neal Bockman.
Fixed, fixed, fixed and fixed. Gracias.

But what about "EPITAPH FOR A NATION OF INDIVIDUALISTS"? Is that also by Blazek or Buk?
If that's Bukowski I'm closing this site forever.

Which is my understated way of saying, I don't think it is.

the only good poet

One retreat after another without peace.
Oh, the two uploads I could find of the above poem on youtube are smeared with the sound of excrement. Why do they do it! Broken broken broken. I cannot read the poem without hearing the man himself, anyhow.

God bless him for working on a typewriter and this surviving correspondence. He's like Bob Dylan tapping away. These scans are amazing. thank you for posting. I love him giving shouts out to Pound, Jeffers and Knut Hamsun. Ill be sure to read more of them now. Thank you!

This site has been archived and is no longer accepting new posts.