Charles Bukowski Broadsides (1 Viewer)

Ponder

"So fuck Doubleday Doran"
RIP
If there's already a thread on this, delete this one, mods!

Maybe not a relevant question (see the-how many jobs-Buk had-thread), but...
how many different (approximately) Buk broadsides have been printed/published?

winter.jpg

weather report.jpg

Would be nice. A broadside does something to me.
How do you know the number or are you guessing?

There is a broadsides table in the database (so we can associate broadsides with poems). So the information is there, it just isn't available as a specific search or list.

There are a few database tables that aren't specifically searchable or aren't used yet. Date written, recordings, poem text, etc. Someday some of them will surface, some probably won't.

Nice, thanks! I used to sell more broadsides, but they took forever to sell. I love them too, especially because they usually have a limited run. But the interest level was way lower than I expected. I held out on Bill's stuff and got the most I could get for them, but it took months, even for the very limited "friends" ones he did. I personally don't get it because they are some of the only Buk items you can hang on the wall instead of hiding on a shelf. Framing is so stupidly costly, so maybe that's it... Or maybe it's girlfriends and wives...

A couple of additions and a couple of questions:

1. Add Mannequins, Bottle of Smoke Press, 2009;
2. Consider adding Warm Light, as it sort of falls in a similar category to I Pour a Drink and Toast Love, to me anyway. I know it's a book mark, so just a suggestion.

How have you viewed the flyers/broadsides that announce publications? You've included Talking to my Mailbox, and I agree with it's inclusion. Is Mockingbird the thin, yellow Broadside/Flyer No. 2 that served as the prospectus for Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, or is it a separate broadside? I'm thinking it must be since you also include 40,000 Flies, which appears on Broadside/Flyer No. 8 announcing Play the Piano...

Anyway, a fine addition to the site.

Last edited:
1. Add Mannequins, Bottle of Smoke Press, 2009;
Wasn't aware of that one.
2. Consider adding Warm Light, as it sort of falls in a similar category to I Pour a Drink and Toast Love, to me anyway. I know it's a book mark, so just a suggestion.
A bookmark does not a broadside make! But it's all subjective anyway. Which leads me to...
How have you viewed the flyers/broadsides that announce publications?
If it has a poem, I list it. If it's an excerpt from a novel, I don't. Even though they are as legitimate a broadside as a poem.

See, subjective.

I also considered cutting it off at 1999, since that's where the magazine checklist cuts off. If there is no cut off, these lists become never ending. And really, all the posthumous stuff -- to me, it isn't the same. All due respect to Bill and Johnny X-Ray.

A bookmark does not a broadside make! But it's all subjective anyway.
Indeed, it is subjective. For the record, I've used I Pour a Drink and Toast Love (a bleedin' postcard) as a bookmark, but I've never used Warm Light as a bookmark. Further, Be Cool, Fool really isn't a broadside so much as a tri-panel foldout, which means it has far more in common with Another Academy than it does with a conventional broadside. Then again, I would consider Another Academy to be a folded broadside (and probably deserves to be on the list). :?:

Last edited:
And here's a famous broadside, also from Hearse, but from 1960. Deserves it's own post.

Sorry, I didn't look further:

Title: His Wife, The Painter
Author: Bukowski, Charles
Description: Small broadside. 8x4", white paper printed in red.Reprint of the 1960 broadside, printed to be issued with Sanford Dorbin's Bibliography of Charles Bukowski (1969).
Heading: Place Published: [Los Angeles]
Publisher: [Black Sparrow Press]
Date Published: [1969]

his-wife,-the-painter.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/2020/https://bukowski.net/database/detail.php?WorkNumber=1470

See also: https://bukowskiforum.com/threads/his-wife-the-painter-now-with-paintings.4905/#post-92800

Last edited:
On purpose not in the database?
Only because I don't know what it is. And it's from Bone Palace Ballet, which makes its integrity suspect.

Which reminds me that I'd rather not even list things that we know to be Martinized, so that broadsides list may shrink.

This looks like the main 'broadsides' thread, so thought I'd post my question here...

The promotional flyer for Mocking Bird Wish Me Luck (Krumhansl 41) was issued as "BROADSIDE / FLYER NO. 2". What was No. 1? Has anybody gone through the trouble of compiling the list of broadside/fliers?

I'll add a related question to Jason's (that might lead to an answer): If a prospectus were issued for a title, might there have also been a promotional flyer, or was it an either/or thing? I ask because I have prospecti for At Terror Street..., The Days Run Away... and Post Office. The only other logical possibility for "BROADSIDE / FLYER NO. 1" would be Dorbin's A Bibliography of Charles Bukowski.

[Edit:] Here's what I have for the promotional flyers. Note that there are two #8s, so there's that.

#2: Mockingbird
#7: Factotum
#8: Play the Piano Drunk
#8: Ham on Rye
#10: Hot Water Music
#11: Bring Me Your Love
#12: There's No Business
#13: Talking to My Mailbox (War All the Time)

It seems odd that both Play the Piano and Ham on Rye would be #8 (aside from it simply being a mistake), so there was no flyer for Dangling? And there aren't enough releases between Mockingbird and Factotum to go from #2 to #7 (unless they released flyers for some of the 1975 broadsides, for example, which seems unlikely). Make of this what you will...

Last edited:
A cutoff date was mentioned by mjp above, and although most of us have seen this poem either in the 1970 NYG or in as the final poem in Mockingbird (or both), here's a broadside version from some type of tribute in 1994. One of his stronger poems as I see it:

ifwetake.jpg

I did see the list of all broadsides, I guess I should have been more explicit about what I was looking for, which PS went into more detail on above.

If Mockingbird is #2, then is #1 one of the prospectuses for the previous BSP books?
At Terror Street and Agony Way
The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills
Post Office

Note that there are two #8s, so there's that.

From Krumhansl 74 HAM ON RYE , a. Broadside, promotional flyer: "
Note: Published as Black Sparrow Broadside/Promotional Flyer no. 8, this flyer was misprinted and should have been numbered Flyer no. 9."

This helps with the two #8s, but not the missing #1, or #s 3-6...

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mockingbird is #2, then is #1 one of the prospectuses for the previous BSP books?
At Terror Street and Agony Way
The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills
Post Office
As I noted above, I have these three and they all appear to be letterpress (or perhaps offset) printed on what is close to card stock. They are nothing like the nearly tissue-paper Broadside/Promotional Flyers. They also are not numbered or labeled in any special way. So, the only logical possibility I could come up with was that Broadside/Promotional Flyer #1 was for Dorbin's bibliography. Either that or 2 Poems, The Curtains are Waving or the four early broadsides. The only "real book" among the possibilities would seem to be Dorbin.

Or, there's a book out there with both a prospectus and a Broadside/Promotional Flyer (being #1). The only possibilities there are Terror Street, Days and Post Office

I have the prospectus for the Dorbin bibliography around here somewhere. My recollection is that it's formatted similarly to the AT TERROR STREET... one. Was there a non-Bukowski BSP book that proceeded MOCKINGBIRD... that could have a broadside/promotional flyer that was issued?

First of all, if you'd like to move that prospectus for the Dorbin bibliography at a reasonable price, I'm all ears. But it raises a question: what's a prospectus and what's a flyer? To me, the flyers announce themselves as such. The prospecti are not so nearly well-labeled, but it's clear what they are. My meager Latin understanding is now bugging me.

The clear prospecti for Terror, Days and Post Office look nothing like the subsequent flyers, so my only conclusion is that I really have no idea. Not the first time I've been in this space.

Erections... was the only non-BSP book that proceeded Mockingbird in any semblance of reasonable timing. In my opinion, there's absolutely no way that Martin would have issued a flyer for a book published by another press that he deigned to publish due to his "sensitive proclivities."

Last edited:
Was there a non-Bukowski BSP book that proceeded MOCKINGBIRD... that could have a broadside/promotional flyer that was issued?
I think that's the answer. According to Seamus Cooney's The Black Sparrow Press - A Checklist, published in the summer of 1971, Mockingbird wasn't even among the first 100 BSP publications (Post Office was #99), so there are quite a few non-Bukowski books/authors that could have been the subject of BROADSIDE / FLYER NO. 1.

The Cooney checklist is an interesting little artifact that pretty much puts the myth that Martin formed BSP specifically to publish Bukowski to rest. Of the first 100 BSP publications, only 12 are Bukowski (five of those are the early broadsides and two are New Year's Greetings). The first 100 has more books by Robert Creely, Robert Duncan, Robert Kelly, Ron Loewinson and Diane Wakoski than Bukowski.

Well, blame it on something other than my stupidity or Bukowski-centeredness if you can. I missed the non-Bukowski part of Jason's post. That makes perfect sense. And Summer of 1971 sounds really good right now.

#1 Diane Wakoski
#3 Stephen Stepanchev
#4 Paul Blackburn
#5 Clayton Eshleman
#6 Wakoski

Hank did the rest in the "series." I have always considered these to be promotional material like prospectuses and have never encountered a separate prospectus for one of the titles in the "series."

Finding these things unfolded is tough and I'd love to frame the ones for Hank's books but that is a lot of cheddar, especially because mine are unsigned. I just can't seem to pull the trigger. Those in possession of early prospectuses like Post Office, Days, etc., I am very jealous.

bsp-flyers.png

I bought and sold 4 Another Academy's because they were so common at one point not so long ago (around $175 to $250). A deep regret now that I can't find one. It'll probably be as expensive as Curtains and 2 By Bukowski now. I think it's a very nicely produced piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back