• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Charles Bukowski Ten Times: Nine Photographs by Tim Petros (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know anything about this?

Charles Bukowski Ten Times: Nine Photographs by Tim Petros
Bukowski, Charles; Petros, Tim

Description: Charles Bukowski Ten Times: Nine Photographs by Tim Petros. Fine; 10 loose photographs in a black linen custom clamshell case. From an edition of ten, plus two artists proofs, this being copy number 3. Signed by the photographer on the limitation page. Print size 11 x 14, image size 6 x 8 3/4 inches. Archival ink jet prints on Crane Silver Rag paper. In 1981 Petros, a staff photographer for a Los Angeles area magazine, was assigned to photograph Bukowski at his San Pedro home. A small number of the photographs were published but many have never been seen. The photographs are remarkably different from the vast majority of those taken Michael Monfort, Bukowski's semi-official photographer, and allow an usually intimate look at a relaxed Bukowski enjoying the moment. Quite a production, with crisp and detailed photographs and high production standards. Very, very nice, in a smalll edition. Detailed scans available.

Publisher: Delongpre Press, Los Angeles
Publication Date: 2008
Signed: Signed by Author
Edition: First printing

I've never seen this. $1250 seems like quite a rip for inkjet prints.... Even in a clamshell case. Still, I'd love to see the photos.

Bill

....................................................snip......

Charles Bukowski Ten Times: Nine Photographs by Tim Petros
Bukowski, Charles; Petros, Tim

Description: Charles Bukowski Ten Times: Nine Photographs by Tim Petros. ..................................................................snip........................ Quite a production, with crisp and detailed photographs and high production standards. Very, very nice, in a smalll edition. Detailed scans available.

Publisher: Delongpre Press, Los Angeles
Publication Date: 2008
Signed: Signed by Author
Edition: First printing

How do they do that?

Still, it seems like it is an attempt to cash in with as little overhead as possible, doesn't it? To charge $1250 for 10 inkjet prints is silly. Even if they were Gelatin prints, it would be a tough sell, but to spent $30 in ink and $150 on a clamshell and call it a $1250 book is quite another thing. Delongpre Press just adds to the feeling that it is not a real release, but something thought up at the same time as the negatives were located. Maybe they say the Joan Levine book and decided to replicate it as best as they could.

They would have more luck selling individual, professionally printed photographs for a fair price.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
To charge $1250 for 10 inkjet prints is silly.
You misspelled obscene. ;)

I don't know, "inkjet" gets a bad name. Artists have been selling inkjet prints for years and calling them giclees. The large format giclee/inkjet prints can be quite amazing. But when you're dealing with photographs, any kind of printed reproduction is seriously second rate, compared to an actual darkroom print.

But this thing stinks of exploitation. And I wouldn't lay down that kind of dough for circa 1981 photos.

21st Editions has published some photography books using inkjet prints instead of tipped-in gelatin prints, and they look fantastic. $1250 is a lot, but an archival inkjet print can be (note i say "can be," and not "is") a far cry from what comes out of a normal inkjet printer. 10 copies is a pretty small limitation, too... i think the small limitation is what is commanding the high price, rather than the edition itself.

... when you're dealing with photographs, any kind of printed reproduction is seriously second rate, compared to an actual darkroom print.

Photogravure may be an exception. A well printed photo etching has a great tactile quality to it that silver gelatin lacks, plus it still manages to capture all of the fine detail.

21st Editions has published some photography books using inkjet prints instead of tipped-in gelatin prints, and they look fantastic.

I have a couple of books from 21st. One in particular, a Joel-Peter Witkin book (with words by William Blake - Songs of Innocence and Experience), is incredibly beautiful. Printed offset using a new 10-color process that really makes the photos pop. It's about the size of Heat Wave in a white clamshell box (that's really hard to keep clean). A really stunning presentation.

As for the portfolio in Mark's original post, for that price they should be platinum palladium prints in a clamshell box made of real clam shells.

you have that witkin book? i've seen it in the flesh, and i want a copy SO BAD. i'll probably get it sometime in the next year or two.

Yes, it's a beauty. Your post made me want to have a look at their website (haven't checked it in about a year) where I found this and this.

Fuck. I hate being poor. I'd love to be able to sniff the bindings of these puppies.

<edit> Just looked on their site at Songs of Innocence and Experience and noticed that the price has gone up a bit. I think that I paid around $300 for my copy when it was issued.

how about the collection of all 31 of their special edition books for a cool $500,000?

i couldn't believe that when i saw it... it boggles my mind that they stay in business when most of their books are $25,000 and up.

The prices seem absurd, don't they? Keep in mind that the most expensive books are made up of platinum or gelatin silver prints printed directly from the negatives. They're museum pieces really.

The average taste level of the person who buys the book.

Seriously. You'd have to be a jackass or blind and in a coma to display that anywhere. I thought LickTheStar had photoshopped that until I went to the site and saw it myself.

I have a couple of books from 21st. One in particular, a Joel-Peter Witkin book (with words by William Blake - Songs of Innocence and Experience), is incredibly beautiful. Printed offset using a new 10-color process that really makes the photos pop. It's about the size of Heat Wave in a white clamshell box (that's really hard to keep clean). A really stunning presentation

you should have heard jordan trying to talk me (and himself) into believing we could actually afford to buy this book. we saw it in the rare book room of a chicago bookstore a couple of months back. he almost convinced me.

the photos on that site really don't do the book justice.

The average taste level of the person who buys the book.

Seriously. You'd have to be a jackass or blind and in a coma to display that anywhere. I thought LickTheStar had photoshopped that until I went to the site and saw it myself.

I just noticed that Jeff Koons had a hand in that book, and I'm assuming the stand, as he's the artist who came up with this:

66210137-venedig-dog-jeff-koons1.jpeg

Thank you for shedding some light onto the situation. My coworkers and I were mystified by the stand and had no idea how it possibly related to Ali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back