Charles Bukowski's Take On Presidents (1 Viewer)

God, this thread got boring way before I found out if the question, 'Did Buk vote?' was answered.
I'm always looking for excuses not to vote, Spalding gray said he never did; that did it for me thorugh my college years, now I could use another prop up.

grayxray,
Is your purpose on this forum to insult people and throw out meaningless replies? As if the fact that black and white movies are actually grey really shows us all how smart you are?

Anyone interested, look up the string of useless quips, smart comments and etc that add nothing to the dialogue. This seems to be a guy (or girl) that just likes to stir up trouble on forums....

Bill

p.s. Why does no one on this or any other forum ever use their names?

I am not afraid to say or write what I feel or stir up trouble as it often makes people think -- sorry it upset you -- If you wish I will resign from this forum, just let me know your decision as I am easy.

I use my real name!
So, was Buk a registered voter/did he vote, do we know? If this was already covered here I missed it wading through the mixture of interesting information and bitch-slapping which reminds me overmuch of the Dallas New Mommies forum I used to be on. Lots of big hair Baptists.

Who Cares?

Why would you care if he voted? To say the least he did not like authority. Are you using Buk to try to justify your political leanings? Buk as Buk, enough said!

thanks, mjp for satisfying my newbie curiosity.

grayxray, i dont care for your tone too much, first time someone has given me a hard time for my curiosity and interest.

I was just thinking about how the arts and politics do have a partnership. Where would half the artists be without the endowments for the arts, and the politicians that let a woman pour chocolate sauce all over her body, roll in alfalfa sprouts and call herself sperm? and get paid over a million to do so?
What were the National Endowment for the Arts giving when Buk was writing? Did guys like Buk even think of a grant or anysort of monetary supplemental income from the government?

In fact, he was given $5,000 by the NEA in the early 70's. There's a letter re. this in the unpublished/uncollected forum.

You are the one that said the board is boring.

grayxray, i dont care for your tone too much, first time someone has given me a hard time for my curiosity and interest.

You are one one that said the board was boring

Erec . . . Election 2008

hey, poptop, damn my little girl if i didn't enjoy your post!

Aw, shucks (blush blush . . .) . . . Bukowski for President.

Chadless in Sedona, Popoff

PS. I voted for McKinley, on the Horse and Buggy ticket,
and was sorry he wasn't elected"”He was for arming mules
with tactical nuclear warheads, and I would have felt much
safer sleeping it off in the barnyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The First of the Month

You have a point. The fateful fires of damnation
are always waiting and devoid of the constraints
of rent control. Is better not to rile them to
vengeful acts during election years: the devil
with salt upon his tail of red.

I know two laywers, both poets that have spend decades helping the poor to right wrongs, many times at their own cost. One of them is on this very forum.

is Ross Runfola one of the poet/lawyers you speak of? and the one on this forum, do they reside in new york? just like to know if my intuition is correct. :)

I agree with you, Bill. In most countries there are lawyers (not many probably) who prefer helping people in trouble for free, instead of making a lot of money in more profitable areas of the law such as, say, real estate.
I also believe that there are (some) honest politicians, especially in left wing parties, who are into politics because they want to change the status quo in favour of the working class. It's not all black and white...

I recently received a $2400 settlement made possible by a female lawyer who works for a gov't agency. This amount came to me in addition to the money I received from my car insurance company because my parked car was hit by two ridiculous and unglamorous drunks riding together, and the driver was uninsured. She moved heaven and earth to get me these funds and kept me informed on every step of the process, and she's believes in the importance of the service work she's doing. So it should come as no surprise that I hardly think of her as the dregs of the earth. It's convenient to write off an entire group as worthless until you need their services, and some of them are going to pick up on that sour attitude unless you stay open to the possibility that he or she just might be the exception to the rule. I've met just as many shitty doctors and business people as lawyers. But when a lawyer goes truly bad, it's definitely not good. If possible, it's better to screen for a lawyer before you actually need one. "”Poptop.

Can one man make a difference?

God, this thread got boring way before I found out if the question, 'Did Buk vote?' was answered.
I'm always looking for excuses not to vote, Spalding gray said he never did; that did it for me thorugh my college years, now I could use another prop up.

I'm usually not inspired to vote because I'm no longer inspired by the candidates. I'm trying to remember the last time any one of them seemed to stand for something whether it was politically expedient or not.

The politicians I loved that might have made a difference have all been assassinated, and I see the evidence created by this political vacuum every day I split the newspaper down the middle with my fingernails. Without going into the specifics, I view the nefarious events behind 9/11 as a replay of the JFK assassination and the fact that US citizens continues to be treated like a small child who is unable to cope with something called Reality, or "national security," or whatever, and the politicians and businessmen who are actually behind such catastrophic events continue to remain in power.

The behind-the-scenes cause of such events are not questioned because the vast majority of the general public are evidently not willing to look beneath the surface of these unsettlingly events and look at primary source evidence, such as films, videos and first-hand eye-witness accounts. (How many know of the 100 year silent conspiracy to keep blacks out of baseball? And yet people will say, "Well, how could you keep something like under cover with so many people in the leagues involved?" But such things can happen by an unstated, tacit agreement...) The evidence is easily available on YouTube and elsewhere. But even then, people sometimes won't believe their eyes because the ugly reality clashes with their belief that it's impossible for the country's leaders to stoop that low"”and that's exactly what the perpetrators of these criminal acts count on to begin with. In many ways, they're a hell of a lot smarter and more audacious than the rest of us.

Even though I'm not in a position to bring some of these people to justice, I feel that I damn well know what's going on, and that offers some measure of, let's call it, "psychic" protection, even if some of these bastards were to round me up tomorrow.

But why should I expect an uneducated public to have the initiative to investigate such shenanigans on their own when the school systems, at least at the lower levels, have been systematically gutted and you have high-schoolers who are graduating and unable to read something as basic as the classified ads in the "help wanted" section?

So the best you can do is self-education and maybe be lucky enough to get a few Bukowski titles under your belt as an eye-opener. Then go from there and view the world anew with eyes that see and ears that hear, before the whole shit house goes up in flames.

Nevertheless, I continue to believe that one person can make a positive difference in the destiny of Man and some decent leadership will finally emerge from the ranks. May it happen soon, because I've yet to see anyone fortified strongly enough from within to withstand the corrupting influences of outside pressures, perhaps even threats of death, and hold to their conscience of what's right, whether there's anything in it for them or not. "”Poptop.

I agree with you, Bill. In most countries there are lawyers (not many probably) who prefer helping people in trouble for free, instead of making a lot of money in more profitable areas of the law such as, say, real estate.

yes, like charity-based laywers involved in immigration/asylum issues, trying to extricate the poorest members of a divided world from an insane bureaucracy. (and that's even difficult to spell!) :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back