Classical Music (1 Viewer)

OK, I am looking for some nice piece's of classical music to listen to....anyone got any suggestions, titles, composers, links!! At the minute I am listening to Barber 'Adagio for Strings' a common piece but powerful nonetheless, powerful in its simplicity, the humming of the strings, the buzz of it....like looking at a large horizon!

I suggest:

Mozart - Overture the marriage of Figaro!
Tchaikovsky - ANYTHING
Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
:)

Direct me to the Power

Hello!

I've been a Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart fan since the age of 12. You should naturally have his most famous piece 'Eine Kleine Nacht Musik'.

Since I am from Norway I feel I must direct you to Edvard Grieg and his overture of Ibsens play 'Peer Gynt'. The piece entitled 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' is probably his most successful.

Sibelius is naturally a good choice.

In these threads one usually tries to come off as very original and intellectual. I hate that shit, so I'm going to give you the classical classical composer: Ludwig Van Beethoven. His Fifth symphony is of course the natural choice for a first impression.

Hope I've been helpful!

A couple of my current favs by the Bee {Beethoven}:

Piano Concerto No.5, Op. 73 "Emperor" in E-flat Major
Piano Sonata No.8, Op. 13 "Pathétique" Adagio Cantabile

The second one was used by Dullaghan in the opening shots of Born Into This.

It is a big ice berg...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd add to the list some:
Allan Petterson, Barefoot songs, Songs of Lamentation
Ralph Vaughan Williams for some fairy tunes -Dona Nobis Pacem
Schnittke,
Definetly some Shostakovich-symphony no 5, cello concerto number 1, cello concerto IV and more.

Recently a friend sent me some tunes of Henze, very disorienting and disturbing but for sure worth trying.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shostakovitch had a piece in Eyes Wide Shut. Can't place the name. I think it might have been Russian Waltz something-or-other. Beautiful piece.

Same goes with Vilvaldi's Four Seasons. I think its Winter that served as the theme for Raging Bull. It was in another movie recently, can't remember that either. That's a fantastic score as well.

?

Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of specific pieces Buk mentioned in his writings? Those that he liked, more specifically. It could make for a good CD.

oh yeah...I've always dug Satie's Gnossiens.

Hi stimso,

I dunno this is mentioned before, very known article.

http://www.realbeer.com/buk/classicbuk/cb1.html

Hi Ponder,

I'd not read the article before and enjoyed it greatly. From my
reading of some of Bukowski's later poems, he enjoyed the
classics to the very end of his life, with their enduring freshness
(mostly) and interest, perhaps such as the slow, 4th movement
of Mahler's 5th Symphony. I would also guess that the mood of
some of these classical works subtly colored the tone of many
of his poems without that ever being known by the reader.
Such classics are part of a huge world of sound to explore, and
the great emotional and intellectual satisfaction can sometimes
last a life-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back