Collectables Bukowski (1 Viewer)

We have a Bukowski collectable and we are curious what its Worth?
My husband is a collector and has a Book/paper/magazine that has a drawing and a signature of Bukowski.
A copy #2 Gold in your Eye. A New Year's Greeting, Black Sparrow Press.
It is rare, but we are thinking about selling... So we are curious if someone knows what its worth?

20151127_150016.jpg 20151127_150042.jpg

I don't recall seeing one of those with the typed lines added to the colophon. That's pretty cool, but the signature and drawing - those aren't very cool. Some drunken slop there.

I don't know what the signed hardcovers of those New Year's Greetings go for (I'd guess a couple hundred at the most), but someone will, and I'd say you could probably ask a premium for the typed lines.

Unless they were all like that in 1986.

That was no help, was it.

Yeah, I've not seen those typed lines in a NYG before. As far as it being copy #2, some would put
a premium on that as well, me not being one of them. I think right now, in fine condition, you'd
be lucky to get $200. More likely $150 or so. They don't seem to be as desirable as a few years ago.
The typed lines might make the difference.

Thx for the info it will help!

I made a search (because of the comment from MJP on the typing) on Google, Abe (because of reading the forum here) and ArtunderWraps and found five that are not the same. We have a bound copy (not damaged) and in the Others there is no typing or signature or drawing stated and some are stapled bound! So, if i look, it seems not to be commun. I can't find any description of any kind in the five I found also nothing about the typing or that they are one from the 226 original copies. And I can't find any from the original 226 copies for sale so its still in on bookshelfs and not sold.
We want to sell our, but it needs to be shipped from the Netherlands we hope to get a realistic price value for it.

And if some one has a better view on it let us know, please.

See bold below from Krumhansl [Thanks to MJP for the mobile text file so I don't have to carry the book everywhere]

b. First edition, hardcover, numbered and signed issue:

Collation as a. 6 5/16 x 4 3/8 in. (16 x 11.1 cm.) Gratis. Bound in peach paper covered boards. Front cover printed same as a. Light blue endsheets. Colophon as a.

201 signed copies were published 28 April 1986: 200 copies numbered 1-200 plus an additional copy marked "File Copy."

Note: Copy Y of this lettered issue was examined and found to have an additional line typed on the colophon page. According to John Martin the colophon pages were mailed to Bukowski for signing. For some reason Bukowski decided to add this line to copy Y: "Every mans life is a | definite island" | [author's little man drawing]

So I'm guessing he typed on more than 26 (for the lettered copies) so the first few numbered copies may also have that...I'm guessing. But obviously 2 does, so it seems reasonable.

Thx mjp!

See bold below from Krumhansl [Thanks to MJP for the mobile text file so I don't have to carry the book everywhere]...
Thx, but to me it not clear so I will ask my husband, my English is not as good as his, we are in the night and we will read it again in de morning.

See bold below from Krumhansl [Thanks to MJP for the mobile text file so I don't have to carry the book everywhere]

c. First edition, hardcover, lettered and signed issue:
But if I read it quickly over... Pogue Mahone our is pressed in Januari not April but I will talk to my husband and ask him to read it again and to look closer to the book!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pogue Mahone our is pressed in Januari not April...
That was information for the lettered version, I changed it to show the info for your copy. Also, I think the colophon for those always says January, since that's when they were sent out. I don't have any of those anymore, but the information in Krumhansl (that Pogue quotes) should be the actual printing dates. Should be, but Krumhansl isn't always accurate either.
it seems not to be commun.
There are 200 like yours, as far as the binding/numbering goes. What is uncommon about yours seems to be the typing on the colophon page.

That was information for the lettered version, I changed it to show the info for your copy. Also, I think the colophon for those always says January, since that's when they were sent out. I don't have any of those anymore, but the information in Krumhansl (that Pogue quotes) should be the actual printing dates. Should be, but Krumhansl isn't always accurate either.There are 200 like yours, as far as the binding/numbering goes. What is uncommon about yours seems to be the typing on the colophon page.

Are mjp and Pogue Mahone the same? Because I can't even correct my writing mistakes in the top of the thread and u change his post?
We are alert and awake right know and my husband read the pieces, a shame he couldn't read the letter version... But thats ok we also contacted PBA in the hope they want to look in to it... But we are not sure if they want.
As far as we know now what is sold are stapled copies of a version and not this hardcover version and we can't find any sell for this version even when there must be maybe 226 (see colophon) going around of this one, its not sold as I research it. And I think also that not every copy has the same typings, so I think our typing is unique (he states he's drunk so that the signature and drawing are drunk I can belief that) for number 2 copy. And others have different typings if I read the other post good.

And if u or others have also more info it still be welcome! Im piecing it together as I go along.

a shame he couldn't read the letter version...
You don't have the lettered version, so the information about it doesn't apply to your copy. The pertinent information about it (Copy Y of this lettered issue was examined and found to have an additional line typed on the colophon page) is still here.
what is sold are stapled copies of a version and not this hardcover version...
There are hardcover versions of almost all of the New Year's Greetings books.
we can't find any sell for this version even when there must be maybe 226 (see colophon) going around of this one, its not sold as I research it.
None of them were sold, they were all given away by the publisher. If you can't find any auction records or completed eBay auctions it's probably because one from 1986 hasn't sold lately. They aren't typically in the big Bukowski auctions at places like PBA because frankly, they're not that important, and they are usually inexpensive items.

The colophon page tells you everything you need to know about the book. The only unusual thing is the typing, which was probably done for the lettered copies, but spilled over onto the first few numbered copies, which is what you have. I think the price estimates given earlier are close to what you can get out of it. You have something unusual, but not, I'm afraid, terribly rare or valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back