• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Did not sell/NFS Collection for sale (2 Viewers)

please be patient with me. i have never been on a forum before. i have a collection of 17 signed/numbered first editions, some with illustrations and/or paintings. i am not sure if it is better to sell them all together or individually.

titles i have are:
1. only one unsigned...WAR ALL THE TIME 1/500
2. THE ROOMING HOUSE MADRIGALS #142
3. LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL #36
4. MOCKINGBIRD WISH ME LUCK #52
5. THERE'S NO BUSINESS #370 SIGNED BY BOTH BUK AND CRUMB
6. BRING ME YOUR LOVE #94 SIGNED BY BOTH BUK AND CRUMB
7. HORSEMEAT #52 SIGNED BY BOTH
8. HOLLYWOOD #323
9. THE MOVIE, BARFLY #43 SIGNED BY ALL OF THEM
10. SEPTUAGENARIAN STEW #147
11. LAST NIGHT OF THE EARTH POEMS #42/225
12. PLAY THE PIANO....A BIT #169 (INCLUDES BROADSIDE #8)
13. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BUK BY DORBIN (INCLUDES PAINTING) SIGNED BY BOTH, PRESENTATION COPY 1/5
14. SCREAMS FROM THE SECOND BALCONY . WHAT DOES A RED I MEAN? SIGNED, SILKSCREEN PRINT
15. YOU GET SO ALONE SOMETIMES IT JUST MAKES SENSE #134 SIGNED WITH EXTRA BLURB FROM BUKOWSKI AND EXTRA SKETCH.
16. BUKOWSKI/PURDY LETTERS #4 SIGNED BY BOTH
17. HAM OR RYE #190 (MY FAVOURITE)

not sure what a red roman numeral one in brackets means...but that is on screams.

Hooch. you are from nova scotia?
Hmmm... You may be on to something there:
Zimbabwe 3.jpg

But I wouldn't trust him if I were you.

not sure what a red roman numeral one in brackets means...but that is on screams.
That's probably the letter I. Black Sparrow didn't do any roman numeral numbering (that I've ever seen, anyway). Which would mean it's lettered, rather than numbered. One of 46. I know there aren't 46 letters in the alphabet, but there were 46 lettered copies of that title.

Without pictures, it's difficult to have perspective on the value of these. But the Dorbin with the painting is going to be the most valuable.

17 signed/numbered first editions, some with illustrations and/or paintings
photographs will help.
For a collector, you'll have to show the condition and especially the drawings/paintings.

Individually is the way to go.
Absolutely yes, because "flooding" the market will decrease the value of a single item. On the other hand, it won't be easy to avoid offering at least a couple of them at once (though each one seperately of course), except you have a time-frame of 4-5 years.

That's probably the letter I. [...] I know there aren't 46 letters in the alphabet, but there were 46 lettered copies of that title.
Pretty sure it's the lettered edition, yes (You can tell from the spine, see following link).
mjp is always well informed, so if he says there are 46, it's very likely he's right. Still I must add that the (more logical seeming) number of 26 is also been stated, here: https://collectingbukowski.com/books/screams2.php

The whole "46 lettered" thing means that there were 46 deluxe edition books made (deluxe meaning with painting or print); 26 of which were actually lettered and 20 more were divided up into "Publisher's Copy," "Printer's Copy," usually several "Presentation Copy," etc. The wording in the BSP colophons is typically somewhat wonky. For example, "126 numbered copies, hand-bound in boards by Earle Grey, each with an original..." means 100 numbered copies plus 26 lettered copies. In this wording, the presentation copies, printer's copy, etc. were not accounted for in the colophon (your Dorbin book is a rather early publication, so the basic scheme hadn't been set in motion yet). Those more accurate counts come from Krumhansl.

Anyway, that's a nice group. Of them, the Dorbin with art (probably a watercolor) and Horsemeat stand out. The Dorbin book isn't among the more pricey books with art, but art is good. As roni said, pictures would help, as condition is everything. You can upload photos directly here (no need for an image hosting service).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back